• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I remember when Proposition 8 was proposed, I was the only one against it. In fact, there were many parents that walked around the school with support Proposition 8 signs. I wanted to scream at them every time I walked by. But thankfully, my English teacher was openly against it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I remember when Proposition 8 was proposed, I was the only one against it. In fact, there were many parents that walked around the school with support Proposition 8 signs. I wanted to scream at them every time I walked by. But thankfully, my English teacher was openly against it.

The only teacher that ever expressed their opinion on it, my math teacher, was for it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Welcome, an illegible mess.! (there's a sentence I never thought I'd say lol).

@ an illegible mess. and U_Flame - where do you guys live that are so homophobic?

Years
Since someone brought up Prop 8 that reminded me of a gay-marriage-debate-flow-chart I saw once. This one. It's amusing to read, and pretty helpful too, although it does contain a few instances of that certain 3-letter f-word, in a few quotations, on some of that "against" arguments. Just a warning.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Does anyone else think that it is more difficult for LGBT people to date? And that there are more strains in relationships than in heterosexual relationships generally?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I have no clue, I've never been in a relationship. lol

I'd say there are definitely less available choices out there, and there's no way of really knowing if they are Gay or not... and if you can't tell, then it's really risky to actually ask someone outright, so that narrows your choices down to about... zero.

Yeah, it's harder.

Years
Does anyone else think that it is more difficult for LGBT people to date? And that there are more strains in relationships than in heterosexual relationships generally?

The T among us LGBTers have it ever more rough in terms of dating. Unless one of us reaches for one of the far ends of the traditional gender binary (meaning aiming to look quite masculine or feminine) and is able to look "normal" doing it then huge numbers of people discount us outright.

With dating, and I can't say I have a LOT of experience, it's got all the social stigmas you expect plus its own unique issues that not many people have ever had to face, namely reexamining their own sexuality.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years

Well, considering I've never dated a guy I can't provide much insight. However, I do think it is more difficult for LGBT people to date because there are far fewer of us, it can be difficult to find a partner & also, you aren't given as broad a range of people to date (based on numbers) as you would get if you were hetero.

With regards to strains, both hetero and homo relationships face issues. I'd say LGBT people face more in terms of social stigma & trying to feel comfortable with each other. Though, hetero people have to worry about unwanted pregnancy lol -- I'm glad that won't be an issue for me ;D.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I'm obviously not a firsthand source, but from what I gather:

-When finding a partner, one has to be sure that the person is LGBT before they even attempt to see if they are interested in them. Finding that out can be difficult and awkward.
-Going on dates can be problematic because ignorant people can harass you.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years

It's definitely more difficult at least for them to ask someone out. It can be very difficult to tell whether a person is straight, gay, or bi. Also, with the actions of some people who are homophobic, it could actually be a danger to the person to ask a straight person out, thinking he or she is gay. I actually have experience of the opposite nature, asking a girl out and thus finding out she's a lesbian. Yes, that did happen to me once. Also, with people who are transgender, they would have to tell the person early on that they are transgender and what they are in regards to whether they have had extensive surgery to make them as male/female as possible, or whether or not they plan to have it done. That way, if the person they're with doesn't accept them, they don't get hurt as bad, or if they do accept them, they know they've found someone good.

As far as strains, I would think a homosexual relationship has the same strains as a heterosexual relationship. Things like money, stress, family, and everything else you can think would come into play in both a homosexual and heterosexual relationship. The only other thing I can think of with a homosexual relationship is people seeing their public displays of affection (holding hands, kissing, etc.) and not being accepting of it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years

It's definitely more difficult at least for them to ask someone out. It can be very difficult to tell whether a person is straight, gay, or bi. Also, with the actions of some people who are homophobic, it could actually be a danger to the person to ask a straight person out, thinking he or she is gay.
Yeah, you really can't just ask people outright, and a lot of the time, there's really no other way to find out.

Yesterday, I met this really hot guy working at a game store here, but I have no way of knowing if he's gay, and I'm definitely not going to ask. If he's not, he'd probably kill me, considering what most people are like where I live. *sadface*

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I don't really have an answer to that question that can expand on what has already been said, but I do have another question:

In straight relationships, it's generally accepted that the man will propose. In a homosexual relationship, there are either two men or no men at all. Would you rather be the one to propose, or would you prefer to be proposed to?

Years
My gay friend tells me that it's actually pretty easy for him to date (living around the San Francisco area like he does), but that it's very hard to find a lasting relationship and that's why he doesn't want to date anymore.

Marriage doesn't mean too much to me, but since I'm a shy person and I like nice surprises I'd say I'd rather have someone else do the proposing if it ever came to that. I'd hope that with any couple no one would feel they had to do something one way just cause they were a girl or a guy.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Update for those interested in

H.R. 10
Preserving Freedom Of Speech Act

BILL SUMMARY:
Unless remarks offensive to demographic groups are specifically intended to gravely offend, intimidate, harass, or belittle specific individual(s), such remarks are not considered harassment or hate speech under the campus Code of Conduct.

PASSED A.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ON 8/24/2011
AYES: 58
52/52 GOP, 6/49 DEM
NAYS: 43
43/49 DEM, 0/52 GOP

PASSED A.S. SENATE ON 8/31/2011, CLOTURE INVOKED
AYES: 15 (for cloture and passage)
13/13 GOP, 2/12 DEM
NAYS: 10
10/12 DEM, 0/13 GOP

SINGED BY A.S PRESIDENT ON 8/31/2011

This pretty much just eases up campus "hate speech" rules.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
My gay friend tells me that it's actually pretty easy for him to date (living around the San Francisco area like he does), but that it's very hard to find a lasting relationship and that's why he doesn't want to date anymore.
Meh, hopefully I don't have trouble with that. I really wouldn't want anything but a long term relationship.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
In straight relationships, it's generally accepted that the man will propose. In a homosexual relationship, there are either two men or no men at all. Would you rather be the one to propose, or would you prefer to be proposed to?
Depending on the person, and how open-minded they are (I know a homosexual who's actually very close-minded despite... well, being homosexual, which kind of takes some open-mindedness), I would either be the one to propose (making some convoluted proposal or something that makes it all the more entertaining), or the one being proposed to (likely something simple, which I'm almost completely incapable of because my own mind likes to wander if I don't keep an eye on it >_>).

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015

My boyfriend is assertive in a good way; although this is a fairly new relationship, if all works out, I know that he will be the one to propose as I would also prefer. It is interesting that in some gay couples there are not clear gender-like roles in the relationship, and in others there are very distinct ones. I would say that we fall somewhere in the middle leaning toward having some gender-like roles.

Meh, hopefully I don't have trouble with that. I really wouldn't want anything but a long term relationship.

That's great; just don't let ANYONE discourage you. I remember quite a few guys that kept trying to coerce me into believing that GLBT relationships are not lasting and that I'd might as well just "have fun". Yeah, I found out that my ex of two years had cheated on me several times and even knocked up a girl! So although that is discouraging, and you may also have similar discouraging relationships as I have seen with MANY other gay men with their own relationships in the past. Too many of us give up, I just wanted to let you know, because there are alot of ***holes out there that try to make you think otherwise. Wow, that was a huge ramble, lol. Sorry about that :)

Last edited:

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
I don't really have an answer to that question that can expand on what has already been said, but I do have another question:

I've thought about this, and honestly, I have no idea how it will work out for me.

At this rate, we'll end up proposing to each other at the same time.

*Kneels down* "Marry me?"

"....I was just about to do that."

"What?"

"Yeah, didn't all my speeches about you and love tip you off?"

"Didn't the dinner on the eiffel tower tip you off?"

"Come on, you had to notice I was holding a Four Carat diamond ring in my hand this entire time."

"What about the Sapphire and Ruby ring I put in your champagne glass?"

"That was a ring? I thought I got some grape pulp or something."

"What do you mean 'Grape Pulp?' It was a ring with a rocks on it!"

"They go down feeling the same!"

But.... when the time comes, if I feel I'm the one who wants to pop the question, I will. I wouldn't mind if I got proposed to, though.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
b
Today at my school, in my art class the students were having mixed conversations about glee and techno music, then some girl was saying her older brother still watches glee and listens to techno music, then she said "You can easily tell a gay guy by the music they listen to." This made me really mad, even though I didn't really show it at the time, I'm pansexual and I don't listen to techno or glee. So how do you guys feel about the constant stereotypes pointed towards members of the lgbt community?

Glee is a show, not a band. Although you can still listen to it, I get the vibe you didn't know. :x

And you love Glee. Every not-straight person does. You just don't realize it yet >:o

Last edited:
Back