• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] The Strumline

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
The Strumline [Fanart and Fakemons galore!]

e5cvcWC.png

Chill out, make yourself at home.

Fakemon and Region Data I'm currently making is on the 3rd post of this thread.

(づ◕‿‿◕)づ​

Hello everyone! Welcome to my humble little thread, The Strumline.

I'm Magistrum.

Shameless self promotion[AKA history]¬
I've been a fan of Pokemon games since I was a kid, experiencing each generation either by console [gen 1-3] or emulator[gen 4-5].

I've always liked drawing, but only took it seriously the time I pursued Architecture and joined as an artist in our college paper. I got the hang of trad drawing during those years and has greatly influenced my style. My main media is pencil, ink and color pens. My work is sketchy at the pencil stage since I always finalize it with inking. Coloring was optional.

A couple of my works back then:[although these are rejects since I cannot post the published ones]
The first one is pencil(albeit finalized)
Spoiler:
This one is with ink, supposed to be colored but rejected because the article got scrapped.
Spoiler:

A couple of traditionally colored artworks, back when I was making some comics. These are inked, and colored with Kurekolor:
This is my attempt to manganize the Anito, guardian spirits of Philippine folklore.
Spoiler:
The frontliners of my characters on my comic Mad Scotch (discontinued): Ronald McDonald, Burger King, Colonel Sanders(KFC) and Jollibee.
Spoiler:

Also, I have something that would show a bit of how I do traditional. This was actually advised by my art director back when I was an artist in the college paper. I dunno if she was trolling or helping me back then; the process was...time consuming, but it helped fill my portfolio faster. She also argued that this refines your inking skills, so I did it anyway, and it worked for me. [Although, she never used this process and so far I was the only one who did it among my peers]
Spoiler:

Color pens heavily influenced my style in digital art. My artworks usually has vivid colors as a result.

Then WACOM TABLET happened. I graduated when I got my hands on it about 3 years ago [I've tried it a bit but didn't touch it again until recently though because of work constraints]. Currently I am learning the ropes in digital art [yeah I'm slow in joining the digital art bandwagon] and I'm hoping to learn a lot and impart with everyone!

My first digital artworks:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Looking back at it, my digital lineart sucks compared to trad...

...Until I decided to contribute to Smogon as an artist.
(I know people are generally turned off with people from smogon, calling them elitist bastards or whatever. What these people don't understand is that like every other forum community, it has its fair share of good and bad people. Try registering and experincing it for yourself for once, then judge afterwards.)

Involving myself with other artists in a site with the same interests as mine helps improve my skill as an artist. During this time I think I've improved my digital art a little, and have broadened my horizons by trying digital painting and seeing how other artists do their artworks.

Here is a slew of pokemon artworks (in no chronological order) that I've made for various users' requests and Smogon's webzine, The Smog:
Sir Cloy Vi Destroia
Spoiler:
Hi, I'm God.
Spoiler:
Amidst a harsh battle
Spoiler:
4th Clover Crobat
Spoiler:
Spade Queen Milotic
Spoiler:
Cress-Tran Tandem
Spoiler:
Kel-Tar Tandem
Spoiler:
Purugly Diary Entry no.1: The Head is a Fish I Must Eat It
Spoiler:
Stantler Photobomb
Spoiler:
PokeFlutist Aipom
Spoiler:
HD Reigon
Spoiler:
Scrafty Remix
Spoiler:
Insidious Woobat
Spoiler:
Jetpoleon
Spoiler:
Surreaveelution
Spoiler:
Bianca...or Latias?
Spoiler:
Little Cup Premier League Logo
Spoiler:
Pick of the Pools Tournament Logo
Spoiler:
ABSOLute Sheen
Spoiler:
The Smut Premiere: Whoever Thought Ice Can Be Hot?
Spoiler:
Riolu and Lucario: After Training
Spoiler:
KyuGeLdeScorMory
Spoiler:
My Neighbor Ludicolo
Spoiler:
Happy LC Friends
Spoiler:
Mega Raikou
Spoiler:
Arceus Crystal Power Make-Up!
Spoiler:
Whimsy Flimsy Why Can't You See?
Spoiler:
Wobba Wobba Wobbafail!
Spoiler:
Alakazwag
Spoiler:

Sorry for the wall-of-text-ish format of this post; I'm still figuring out how to do the CSS thingy that the other threads have lol

As always, comments, critiques and criticisms are welcome. :)

Last edited:
Years
Spoiler:

Oh my gosh the chains! This is a wonderful piece. It's so detailed and must have taken a long time to get down-pat; wonderful job.

The one right below is also fantastic and I'm really in love with your style of drawing hair. Each stroke blends in nicely.. and the eyes, ooh! You are so good at all these little details. :) Amazing job!

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
KfHoV7t.png
Pokemon Regulus is the tentative name of my fakemon project, which has various meanings (Bright Star, Little King, Impure Metal, Basilisk) that coincide very well with the storyline I'm cooking up.

The game takes place in the Tervari region, which is almost as big as Kanto and Johto combined. As a whole, Tervari isn't as developed as urbanized regions such as Unova or Kalos, but makes it up with more diverse cultures and interesting folklore, as well as never-before-seen Pokemon that are not found in other regions.

Plot so far:
You start out in Luxuria Suburbs as a teenager who, along with your two childhood friends Kathryn and Devon, idolizes the Tervari Region's emerging peace-enforcing group named Team Aegis. You and your friends go to Luxuria City to participate in a pokemon lottery sponsored by Team Aegis. But on the way, you bump on somebody who's in a hurry who dropped a lottery ticket, and by some weird twist of fate (yeah riiight), you win the grand prize: three pokemon! You and your friends divide the spoils, pick a starter pokemon amongst yourselves, and strive to join Team Aegis! And thus your adventure begins!

Features:
New region, new characters, regional dex composed entirely of fakemons, you know the drill. However, the storyline is what I'm interested in developing. More interaction, more fleshed-out characters, a gameplot that unfolds differently depending on your choices, kickass folklore, and a possible love interest of sorts developing postgame is what I'm hoping to incorporate in this project.

Introducing the Map of Tervari!
V2c4WOY.jpg
aTWYrzJ.jpg
The Tervari Region
Disambiguation: Terra[land, ground, earth] + Varietas[variety, diversity, difference]
Can be translated as "Diverse Land" or "Land of Different People and Places".

Region Description:
Spoiler:

The left one is how it looks overall, while the right one is when adding all the map details. The borders indicate how it looks like when divided by the ds screens. Yes, it's a two-part map that goes north-south, kinda like east-west for Kanto-Johto.:) It's a map that houses 12 gyms, and along with the Elite 4 and 1 Champion means that it has all Gen V types covered (17).

Map Details
Tervari City/Town Legend:
Spoiler:

DESCRIPTION
Spoiler:

Tervari Landmark Legend:
Spoiler:
DESCRIPTION
Spoiler:

Tervari Route Legend:
Spoiler:
DESCRIPTION
Spoiler:

Gym Leaders
The Tervari Region originally housed 8 Pokemon Gyms. However, due to the integration of the Tervari Hamlet's Gym Leader into the Elite Four, as well as the recent development of Luxuria City and Arcavis Town's gyms, the number of Pokemon Gyms bumped up to 12 with 13 Gym Leaders governing them over the past few years. With no clear successor to Tervari Hamlet's Gym, 3 other Gyms feuding over who shall get the title rose to the occasion, all of which are acknowledged, resulting in Tervari Hamlet having 3 Pokemon Gyms.
SDcGgSC.png
Spoiler:
The Gym typings were arranged in such a way that the typing is weak to the next gym's:
Normal <Fighting <Flying <Electric <Ground <Grass <Poison <Psychic <Ghost <Dark <Bug <Fire.

The Pokemon League
With the former Champion retiring to pursue a different career, the Pokemon League recently reorganized and relocated from the foot of Ash Mountain to the mouth of the Tervari Canyon. One of the Elite Four succeeded the Champion's place, while a gym leader was integrated into the Elite Four.
Spoiler:

The ordering of the E4 types are opposite of the gym leader types' principle:
Water> Rock> Ice> Dragon
The Champion's primary typing (Steel) resists the last E4's typing.

Team Aegis
Theme: Gladiator/ Valkyrie outfits
Credo: To promote and enforce peace upon the whole region..
Spoiler:

...If you read through all that, it means I love you already LOL.

Going with the trainer artworks, so far I got the female trainer down:
5yo729C.png

Current Pokemon Designed: 34/165 barely 20% :/
Grass Starters based on the Lotus Flower and the Hindu Diety Lakshmi: Lillibud, Felotus and Sacreflora
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Fire Starters based on Komodo dragons and the Norse Fire Giant Surtr: Crotyke, Lavatara and Komolten
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Water Starters based on Orcas and the Greek Sea God Poseidon: Dolfby, Fervorca and Valorca
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

An Electric-type Pokemon with two forms based on batteries (pretty derpy eh?): Cellectro
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A Rock-type line based on Chess Pieces: Stalacrumb, Stalacore and Stalakarn
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A Fighting/Ground Cassowary line which are parodies of the Angry Birds game and Braveheart movie: Grouchick and Cass-O-War
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A Grass/Dark line based on goblins and trolls: Shrublin and Trolliath
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A Fire/Water fakemon inspired by the fictional Homunculus: Flaschemy
Spoiler:

A Steel/Ghost fakemon based on the Iron Maiden Torture Device: Virgrim
Spoiler:

A Ghost/Psychic fakemon based on the Native American Shamans: Shamantra
Spoiler:

Humanshape fakemon based on cosmic bodies and miko/shamans: Cosmica, Solarica, Lunarica, Stellarica & Gravica
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A mono-Flying fakemon based on Clouds and Sheep: Sylphleece
Spoiler:

A Normal/Ghost fakemon based on the Gazelle and Dullahan: Ghouzelle
Spoiler:

A Dark/Fairy, two-form fakemon based on the Incubus/Succubus: Devlux
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A lategame bird line based on the Philippine Eagle: Aguilet and Aguilari
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A postgame bird line based on Harpies and Valkyries: Harpling and Valthena
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A pseudolegendary line based on Serpents: Aspoxin, Galviper and Drasilikos
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A two-form legendary fakemon based on Sultans and Genies: Sahrafi
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Sorry if the quality is inconsistent between the artworks; they were done when I was exploring art styles. As always, suggestions, comments and critiques are very welcome :)

Last edited:

Mage

Wizard Eyes
Years
  • Age 37
  • VA
  • Seen Oct 28, 2013
Man... I wish I was as good at anatomy xD Very beautiful pieces!

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
Man... I wish I was as good at anatomy xD Very beautiful pieces!
Thanks! Well anatomy is something that you'll get used to the more you draw. Also looking at realism artworks as references really helps in anatomy :)

Meanwhile another Ragnarok Online fanart (lol I should update with more pokemon artworks ffs)
Here's Ekreya Stormforge
ragnarokmechanicdigital.jpg

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
A wee update: WIP for a fakemon line: Cosmica, Solarica, Lunarica, Stellarica and Gravica
cosmicacopy.jpg

The concept is that mandatory humanshape psychics which are based on shamanic priestesses. (Cosmica might be resmbling Ralts too much though...) Cosmica's evolution line is based on the concept of Eevee having multiple branch evos. Sun Stone, Moon Stone, Shiny Stone and Dusk Stone is used to evolve into Solarica, Lunarica, Stellarica, and Gravica respectively.

Critiques/comments/suggestions are very welcome :)

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
Oops I got a triple post, but it's in different days, so I guess it's okay?

Here's a sketch inspired by Absolem, one of Wonderland's denizens in Alice in Wonderland:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I owe you a post that's so much more elaborate than what I'm about to type but, wow. Just wow. I mean, you're producing professional level work. Are you currently in the illustration / graphic field? I'd love to know more about your training. Have you taken classes? What sort of (un)professional work have you done and for who? If you had to pick some pieces that best represents your portfolio, what would that be?

I will actually give you a decent review sometime though, I promise! But for now I really want to know more about you as an artist. Tell me everything you find pertinent about your journey to being as good as you are today. That's what I'm really interested in. :)

Also yes, so long as you are the gallery owner and it's on separate days (if it's on the same day than just edit the original post) you're allowed to double/triple/quadruple/etc post. Gallery owners are allowed to post in their threads beyond the revival rule and update as frequently as they please, so you're all good. :)

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
I owe you a post that's so much more elaborate than what I'm about to type but, wow. Just wow. I mean, you're producing professional level work.
Whoa thanks for the compliment Alexial! Whoa a lot of questions! Let's see how well I do.
Are you currently in the illustration / graphic field?
Not quite, since I currently work in an Architectural Design Firm. Since I design structures, I guess it counts as artworks? If anything, I think my line of work helps me in perspectives, lighting and depth.

I usually do art as a hobby since it is my passion, and is a vent for me to relax from the boring AutoCAD/Revit routine I do every workdays.
I'd love to know more about your training. Have you taken classes?
Hmm like I said in my OP, I only pursued art seriously during my college days as an Architecture Student. The Architecture curriculum I was on had about 3 classes on Visual Technology which was about still life and drawing things in perspective, but its focus was never on drawing animals/humans. I guess that hole was filled when I joined as an artist in my university's paper. At first it was about lineart, lineart, and MOAR LINEART because editorial cartoons and comic strips, but it really gave me some artistical backbone.
What sort of (un)professional work have you done and for who?
Hmm apart from my work, I guess I draw digital caricatures of people? I don't charge though since I only do it for friends and family. I also did some art requests for various users in Smogon, but I stopped when I was recruited to be an artist for their webzine.
If you had to pick some pieces that best represents your portfolio, what would that be?
Whew that's a really hard question. Now that I think about it, I don't know which one can best represent my folio. But I could tell you which ones are my favorites instead:
1. The "Thalassa Frostbane" artwork which is one of my first digital works. It was actually the first piece that I've done in attempt to recapture my traditional art style into digital media.
2. The "Surreaveelution" artwork because it is actually one of the artworks I spent the most time on, basically because of the sheer amount of lineart used in that piece.
3. The "Sir Cloy vi Destroia" artwork that I've made a chrome theme out of, since it is the first artwork I've done when I was learning the hang of digital painting.
I will actually give you a decent review sometime though, I promise! But for now I really want to know more about you as an artist. Tell me everything you find pertinent about your journey to being as good as you are today. That's what I'm really interested in. :)
Haha I'm not really that good yet compared to many monstrously skilled artists at deviantart, since as an artist I still have certain things I can't illustrate well. However, whenever I look at artworks that pique my interest or that are at another level from what I can do, I follow this train of thought: [1]Stare intently at artwork and study it [2]Figure out how he/she did it [3]Try doing it myself [4]If I fail to capture the idea/art style, go back to 1. [5]If I succeed in capturing the idea/style, figure out how I could make it my own by improving and innovating.
Also yes, so long as you are the gallery owner and it's on separate days (if it's on the same day than just edit the original post) you're allowed to double/triple/quadruple/etc post. Gallery owners are allowed to post in their threads beyond the revival rule and update as frequently as they please, so you're all good. :)
Whoa thanks! I thought I was crossing some kind of posting rule here haha.

Since I hate posting without artworks to show, I guess I could pitch this in: presenting the Pokemon Regulus Logo!
6ps2.png
I finally came up with a name for the fakedex & region I'm currently working at. Regulus is a cool word IMO, which has many different meanings (bright star, little king, impure metal, basilisk) that coincide with various elements of my storyline.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
Years
Oh my gosh, I love Trublin and Trolliath. They look so freakin' creepmazing.

And "My Neighbour Ludicolo" is just delightful. I can't take it.

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
@VerlisWolf Thanks! :)

@Nymue Haha I love Shrublin and Trolliath too; they were my very first fakemon, and was my entry to Smogon's Create-a-Pokemon Gen V Project #5, featured here. It ended up in 4th place only but IMO it's not bad considering it's my first time competing against more than 20 artists lol.

And yeah I also love Studio Ghibli films, so I guess I vented it out by making "My Neighbor Ludicolo" haha.

Also a wee update of pokemon avatars :3
Join the Matrix, Mr. Porygon
fanartporygoncopy.jpg

An avatar for Vader based on the hilariously infamous LOTR outtake.
Derpingler and Derpingler:Tobacco Edition
fanartkingler2.jpg
fanartkinglercopy.jpg

and last but not least, Serious Business Probopass
eagle4probopassresize.png

:P

Last edited:

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
A little while ago, I won an art design contest for Smogon's 6th Create-a-Pokemon Project for Gen V. The theme is a Steel/Flying pokemon that makes Belly Drum sweeping viable in OU. So I present to you my winning entry based on the Frigate Bird, named Cawmodore!!!
k95n.jpg

My design incorporated Steel Typing by giving it a navy theme, more evidently on the anchor beak and the steel-plated admiral's coat.

Some supporting art for my design:
Spoiler:

Too bad I can't use this for my fakedex, but nevertheless I'm happy my design won amongst 20+ other designs ;3 Huzzah!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh! If you're not using that fakemon design, you're free to donate it to the PC Pokedex Project. :) I'm sure you'll catch the drift if you check it out, but when I see "unused fakemon" that's kinda my cue to pitch the project, lol. No pressure though!

As for the design itself, well, I love it haha. What else can be said? I think it's adorable how you merged the nautical theme with the typing. Did you contemplate giving it a Water typing at any point? And lmao I haven't heard of Belly Drum in competitive play since BD Charizard. xD But I've long since quite the metagame, so I'm probably in no position to snark at that. Still, a very strong concept married with even more inspired art skills. You've impressed me yet again!

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
Oh! If you're not using that fakemon design, you're free to donate it to the PC Pokedex Project. :) I'm sure you'll catch the drift if you check it out, but when I see "unused fakemon" that's kinda my cue to pitch the project, lol. No pressure though!
Oh what I meant is that I can't use it for other contests/fakedexes/the like since it will be used as a design for the CAP metagame in Pokemon Showdown, so to prevent discrepancies I won't be using/contributing it anywhere else. Sorry >_<
As for the design itself, well, I love it haha. What else can be said? I think it's adorable how you merged the nautical theme with the typing. Did you contemplate giving it a Water typing at any point? And lmao I haven't heard of Belly Drum in competitive play since BD Charizard. xD But I've long since quite the metagame, so I'm probably in no position to snark at that. Still, a very strong concept married with even more inspired art skills. You've impressed me yet again!
Haha thanks! Well yeah the nautical theme exudes a water-type vibe, no question about that. The design criteria was Steel/Flying though so I emphasized the steel-type elements more.

Hmm in competitive play, I think the most noteworthy is BD-Extremespeed Linoone. He's in the NU tier though. And yes Bellyzard was a viable set to some degree, but since hidden abilities were introduced in gen V, I think Charizard eventually capitalized Solar Power instead. Charizard also isn't OU though. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Continuing with my fakemon progress, I've been mostly planning names, stats and abilities so I haven't progressed much in the artworks, but in the meantime I've got a spritedex template down:
jupn.png
I like hexagons ;3

The upper hexagon is for the pokedex entry number. The stretched hexagon below is for the name. Further down below shows the evolutionary stage, which will be represented by arrows/circles. the blue arrows mean it's a baby pokemon; a green circle means it doesn't evolve; one upward arrow means it's on its base form; two upward arrows mean it's the 1st evolutionary stage and three upward arrows mean it's the 2nd evolutionary stage.

The colored strips represent the 18 current types. (yes, I intend to add the Fairy-type in my fangame)
The first row going from left to right is grass, fire, water, normal, bug, flying, electric, rock, and ground types respectively.
The second row, on the other hand, is poison, fighting, psychic, ghost, ice, dragon, dark, steel, and fairy respectively.

Last edited:

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
My Pokemon Regulus spritesheet made from the template I showed earlier:
Warning: HUGE image ahead
Spoiler:

[There aren't sprites yet though; just some image placeholders]

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Dude Magistrum, all your work is awesome :D

What I love most is your style!
It's like a very realistic style, but you can tell it has cartoonish quirks here and there.

Your Fakemon are also top-notch.
Some parts might be a teensy weensy bit too designed, but the overall designs are so unique that it's distinguishable from anything else I've seen :D

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
Dude Magistrum, all your work is awesome :D

What I love most is your style!
It's like a very realistic style, but you can tell it has cartoonish quirks here and there.

Your Fakemon are also top-notch.
Some parts might be a teensy weensy bit too designed, but the overall designs are so unique that it's distinguishable from anything else I've seen :D
Thanks Sunfished!

I agree that some of the fakemons were overdetailed, especially on Trolliath, whose bark parts most likely won't be as detailed when sprited. >_< Which reminds me, I have zero experience in spriting lol. I'll probably do pixel-overs of my artworks and improve from there.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the tentative look on the Tervari Gyms' Badges:
ru2c.png

First row: Gem Badge, Skill Badge, Soaring Badge, Surge Badge, Fossil Badge, Sprout Badge
Second row: Toxin Badge, Grace Badge, Forlorn Badge, Blade Badge, Shed Badge, Magma Badge

Critique is very much appreciated!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Also here are the Gym Leader/ Pokemon League/ Team Aegis Data:
Spoiler:

Reactions: ZKE
Back