• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Difficulty of Starters

Alakazam

Banned
Years
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could rate the Difficulty of the starters for R/S. Like remember in Pokemon Red/Blue Charmander was the hardest to beat the game with? I just want you to do that for the new starters based on the type of Pokemon the gym leaders have. Thanks!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
i suppose... i'll say 1/10 is hardest and 10/10 is easiest...

Torchic- 9/10
Mudkip- 10/10
Treecko- 10/10

pretty much all the same... i'll just say Torchic is "slightly" (by slightly i mean very slightly) harder due to Roxanne... but then i still KO Nosepass with Torchic... i mean Combusken anyway.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Um... k then.

Mudkip- extremely easy
Treecko- very easy
Torchic- easy

Mudkip earns the extremely easy since it's ground type so you got type advantage against magneton. However it's not like Magneton use anything but supersonic and sonicboom anyway... so doesn't matter what type you are for that gym.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Mudkip -Easy

Treeko -Medium

Torchic - Hard

Torchic has a hard time later on too, and as Mudkip evoles it's still very useful.

Jason

Banned
Years
Treecko: Hard - I having trouble defeating Roxanne with him so i evolved him to get it easier.

Torchic - Easy and got it evolved quickly so I defeated Roxanne with Doublekick easily and Brawly with Peck. Fire attacks on Wattson and having trouble with Flannery.

Mudkiip Hard.

Amphie

Sweet girl
Years
I think, Torchic is very easy. You can have some troubles with Roxanne, but his evolution learns Double Kick. With Double Kick, you will win with Roxanne without troubles:) Many people have problems with Norman and his Slaking. I didn`t have troubles with him. My Blaziken won with all 3 pokemon^^

Jason

Banned
Years
Yep, my Blasiken defeated all of Normans and I having trouble with Altaria belonged to Winona.... thats why i have to treain more...

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Nah... Mudkip is sposed to be easy.. especially when it evolves! The evolved form is a ground type as the 2nd type. It can avoid any electric attacks... which can be very useful for the 3rd gymleader.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
In additon, it's Surf can help with Tate and Liza, a lot of the Elite Four, Flannery, Ice Beam for Winona...

I stick by my previous ratings.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
really i don't see how can Mudkip be hard. You are water type (powerful versus a lot of gyms) and part ground too to gain some advantage over fire and electric.

Torchic is only slightly harder cause more training has to be done for Roxanne. But after you got double kick... you're on your way to victory.

Treecko got absorb so no worry for Roxanne there. Even if the Slugmas pull off overheat, my Grovyle/Sceptile just got to low yellow and that's all...

Rift

Let's Venture Onward!
Years
I would think it was Treecko, cause its only one type, but then again it also depends on which game you have and which starter you choose! but then again me probly wrong! ^_^;

Strider

Not Pwnd
Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2006
The starters are much balanced in Ru/Sa IMO.

Treecko 9/10
Good against the first gym, probably the worst from the three.

Torchic 10/10
The most useful from the three to have in your party. this bearing in mind that Fire types are rare in this game. Blaziken its final form is one of the strongest fire type in the game. Plus, Blaziken would be useful for elite four.

Mudkip 10/10
Quite helpful against the gym. No particular weakness in general against them, and Swampert has a slightly better stats than Blaziken and Sceptile.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
I feel Treecko is the toughest... its only good move is Leaf Blade while the others get the chance to learn more varied moves, like fire and fighting, and water and ground

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
Years
Actually Treeko and Torchic are tied.

Torchic can only get by a couple . like Roxxanne , if it evolves on time then you can shut her up in her place , same for Wattson and Glacia ^^

Back