• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
jw, when building a team around kingler, should i put together a more defensive team or maybe a more offensive team or strive for a balanced team

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
jw, when building a team around kingler, should i put together a more defensive team or maybe a more offensive team or strive for a balanced team

Kingler is an offensive 'mon naturally, so it can fit on hyper offense (with Dual Screen support) or balanced teams.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
jw, acording to smogon kingdra only real useful in rain team, do u think it can used succefully outside of rain team, i mean it very well balance and dose not have a wide move pool and only one weakness to boot, i was thinking what if it had subitute and return and u used that that to pass the subitute along to another poke, now i know jotlten is faster for doing this, but on the flip side jotlten is more frail then kingdra

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
jw, acording to smogon kingdra only real useful in rain team, do u think it can used succefully outside of rain team, i mean it very well balance and dose not have a wide move pool and only one weakness to boot, i was thinking what if it had subitute and return and u used that that to pass the subitute along to another poke, now i know jotlten is faster for doing this, but on the flip side jotlten is more frail then kingdra

It's useful in manual rain teams. Because Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned in OU, Kingdra also is useful for checking opposing rain teams on a weatherless team, since it takes advantage of the opposing Politoed's Drizzle.

Kingdra also has absolutely no use for Return, since its Water and Dragon STAB moves have good enough neutral coverage already. It also can't learn Baton Pass.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
i was wondering what if it is on a weatherless team and not being used to checked rain team, can it still be a good poke, or is it useless

smogon dose give an optin of Substitute + Dragon Dance and it says u can use either Swift Swim or sniper

what i use its sniper ability with Focus Energy to raise its chance of getting crital hits and do u think it would be wise to mix kingdra which is the uu teir with pokes form ou teirs

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
i was wondering what if it is on a weatherless team and not being used to checked rain team, can it still be a good poke, or is it useless

smogon dose give an optin of Substitute + Dragon Dance and it says u can use either Swift Swim or sniper

what i use its sniper ability with Focus Energy to raise its chance of getting crital hits and do u think it would be wise to mix kingdra which is the uu teir with pokes form ou teirs

Kingdra is still a good Pokémon in its own right.

Sniper is still useful, but Focus Energy is never a good option competitively, as not only is it a waste of a moveslot (which could be easily taken up by Waterfall, Substitute or Outrage), but relying on critical hits is an unwise strategy.

OU Pokémon can't be used in UU tiers and below.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
what i good baton pass user to use with gyarados and evolite magneton, cause my plan was to use the baton pass to pass a subitite along and maybe a quick boost to, u know like dragon dance or swords dance

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
what i good baton pass user to use with gyarados and evolite magneton, cause my plan was to use the baton pass to pass a subitite along and maybe a quick boost to, u know like dragon dance or swords dance
Gyarados can just simply boost its own Attack and Speed with Dragon Dance, so BP'ing it Attack and Speed boosts is unnecessary. Unless you need the extra Speed and bulk, Magnezone is still the better option over Magneton. Venomoth or Smeargle can Baton Pass Magneton/Magnezone Special Attack and Speed boosts:

Venomoth:
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance
-Baton Pass
-Bug Buzz
Nature: Timid
EVs: 248 HP/8 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Tinted Lens

Smeargle:
-Spore
-Shell Smash
-Baton Pass
-Taunt/Ingrain
EVs: 80 Atk/96 Def/80 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
oh i thought the extra bulk and speed would come in handy

so far heres my thought for my team build, please help with any thought.

Gyarados, Venomoth, Magneton, starmie, skarmory(for spikes), arcanine

Last edited:

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
the only reason that im not posting a rmt thread is cause i have not yet began breeding for these poke and i not decide nature or evs yet.

1)Gyarados
abilitly: moxie
~ Substitute / Taunt
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Bounce

2)Magneton
abilitly: Magnet Pull
~ Substitute
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Fighting
~ Volt Switch / Charge Beam

3)venomoth
abilitly: Tinted Lens
~ Baton Pass
~ Quiver Dance
~ Sleep Powder
~ Bug Buzz

4)Arcanine
abiltly: Intimidate
~ Flare Blitz
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Wild Charge / Crunch
~ Close Combat / Morning Sun

5)skarmory
abilitly: Sturdy
~ Stealth Rock
~ Spikes
~ Brave Bird
~ Taunt

6)Starmie
ability: natural cure
~ Rapid Spin
~ Scald
~ Psyshock / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
~ Recover

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
the only reason that im not posting a rmt thread is cause i have not yet began breeding for these poke and i not decide nature or evs yet.

1)Gyarados
abilitly: moxie
~ Substitute / Taunt
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Bounce

2)Magneton
abilitly: Magnet Pull
~ Substitute
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Fighting
~ Volt Switch / Charge Beam

3)venomoth
abilitly: Tinted Lens
~ Baton Pass
~ Quiver Dance
~ Sleep Powder
~ Bug Buzz

4)Arcanine
abiltly: Intimidate
~ Flare Blitz
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Wild Charge / Crunch
~ Close Combat / Morning Sun

5)skarmory
abilitly: Sturdy
~ Stealth Rock
~ Spikes
~ Brave Bird
~ Taunt

6)Starmie
ability: natural cure
~ Rapid Spin
~ Scald
~ Psyshock / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
~ Recover

Natures and EVs are easy to determine based on the set:
Since Gyarados is using the bulky Dragon Dance set, it should use a Jolly nature with 88 HP/248 Atk/4 Def/168 Spe. Item should be Leftovers.

Magneton can use a SubCharge set:
-Substitute
-Charge Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon/Hidden Power (Fire)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull

See one of my previous posts about Venomoth.

Arcanine is outclassed in OU. Its Attack and movepool are decent, but its Speed still falls short. Infernape should be used here:
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-U-turn
-ThunderPunch/Mach Punch
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Band

or
-Overheat/Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-ThunderPunch/Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)/U-turn/Mach Punch/Grass Knot
Nature: Naive/Hasty
EVs: 180 Atk/76 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

or
-Fake Out
-Stealth Rock
-Overheat
-Close Combat
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash

or
-Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-U-turn
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
EVs: 36 Atk/220 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Skarmory should use a Careful or Impish nature with 224 HP/252 Def/32 Spe.

Looks like Starmie is using bulky Rapid Spin, so the EV spread should be 248 HP/36 Def/224 Spe. Item should be Leftovers.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
so do u think ill have any troulb covering any bases/elements in battles

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2014
What should my set up be for my infernape , I usually tank everything with my starter but I am looking for a good team and not just destroy with one pokemon. I am new to platinum and would like some input on what a good team would be.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I have two Murkrows that Im using a Careful Perish Trap. Which one would be better for this. I know it requires high IV for HP Def and Sp Def but these two only have good def.

First one all in IVs

Hp 17
Def 31
SpD 23

Hp 29
Def 29
Sp Def 11

I didnt include Atk and Sp Atk because they are irrelevant to this Perish trap and both Spd Ivs are 31.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
I'm just wondering if this would be a good Emboar set, trying to do something different. Rollout would be doubled by the Defense Curl while both Work Up and Flame Charge are used to boost Spe. and Att. with a balanced build looking for power in a Rollout and multiturn use by staying alive with Leftovers.

Emboar/Adamant/Blaze/Leftovers

Defense Curl, Rollout, Work Up, Flame Charge

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm just wondering if this would be a good Emboar set, trying to do something different. Rollout would be doubled by the Defense Curl while both Work Up and Flame Charge are used to boost Spe. and Att. with a balanced build looking for power in a Rollout and multiturn use by staying alive with Leftovers.

Emboar/Adamant/Blaze/Leftovers

Defense Curl, Rollout, Work Up, Flame Charge
Defense Curl/Rollout isn't a good strategy because it takes time to set up, and the time that Emboar spends on the field is better off done by spamming Flare Blitz or a coverage move. Rollout also forces Emboar to stay on the field until it misses, making it prone to being revenge killed, and its low Speed doesn't help the issue. This set is ideal on what Emboar does best: hitting hard with base 123 Attack:
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Wild Charge
-Sleep Talk
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe (Jolly) or 236 HP/252 Atk/20 Spe (Adamant)
Item: Choice Scarf (Jolly)/Choice Band (Adamant)

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
i read an interesting ideal on smogon, well 2 sum it fast
use lvl 1 aaron with sturdy ability and item shell bell and move endeavor, the plan is 2 let aaron get hit, have its strudy ability kick in and leave it with 1 hp and then use endeavor and let shell bell hell it up.

jw will this really work

use lvl 1 aaron with sturdy ability and item shell bell and move endeavor, the plan is 2 let aaron get hit, have its strudy ability kick in and leave it with 1 hp and then use endeavor and let shell bell hell it up.

jw will this really work

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

jw will this really work

jw will this really work

Some people have used FEAR Aron to some degree of success, though it does require a bit of team support to work. Tyranitar/Hippowdon must be on the team to let the sandstorm chip away the last bit of the opponent's health, provided it isn't Rock/Ground/Steel. Entry hazards must be off the field, since they ruin Sturdy, so Rapid Spin/Magic Bounce support is absolutely mandatory:
-Endeavor
-Protect
-Toxic
-Hidden Power (Rock)
EVs: 252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy

Back