• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If HP is body mass, shouldn't Wailord have the highest HP?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
I mean, I don't get it. HP is how much damage a Pokemon can take before fainting. But what determines this? I mean, Wailord is the largest but still Blissey and Wobbuffet have higher HP. So, HP isn't exactly body mass. There are many other examples like Wigglytuff having more HP than Hippowdon or Phanpy having the same HP as its much larger form, Donphan.
Next candidate explanation of HP is energy and stamina. At first, it sounds logical. But then again, what does energy reserves and stamina have to do with the pure act of enduring trauma and injuries?

Also, if HP is stamina then Blissey and generally Pokemon with high HP should have high stamina. Then again, if stamina is the ability to last a long time, how can Pokemon with high stamina(high HP) get OHKOed? I mean, how is it possible to lose all of your energy in one hit and get knocked out in a matter of a few seconds since stamina is the ability to last a long time? So, stamina doesn't stick either for those two main reasons :
1. Stamina is purely about fatigue not tolerance/endurance against injuries. If taken otherwise, then its like saying that all marathon runners can take a hell of a beating and survive better than anyone else just because they ... don't get tired.
2. Pokemon with huge HP(thus hypothetically stamina) can faint in 2 turns only. That's .. not what stamina is.

Stamina is about how long you can keep attacking. But if you can't stay alive for a long time, then no matter how much stamina you have, you won't be able to keep going.

For example, a Pokemon may have full HP but zero PPs in all its moves. This means that it is completely drained of energy and has no stamina left to attack. But it still has full HP which means that it can still endure damage even though it doesn't have any energy left. Similarly, it may have max PPs but 1 HP left. This means that it can't take any more damage but it still have a lot of energy and stamina to keep attacking.

The above example explained everything and I think you won't have any doubt after reading it.

So, what is HP in your opinion? I think body mass and stamina are pretty much ruled out. And please explain your opinion sufficiently with examples(if possible) and make sure it is logical.

Oh and if you are going to say HP is life force then please explain it very thoroughly because it really is hard to comprehend. I mean, how can one Pokemon(or any creature anyway) have more 'life' inside? More vitality? I don't get it.

Another thing that clearly shows that HP isn't energy is when a Pokemon is put to sleep. When the opponent uses Sleep Powder the victim of the attack doesn't regain any HP. Yet, when you sleep you replenish all your energy back. So, HP can't be energy.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
it can be psychological, meaning how much pain the pokemon can handle before it whites out and loses consciousness.

Years
Hp is just a measurement of the Pokémon health. The stamina is measured by Defense and Special Defense. As Caterpie said, you think too much, but than so do I, so I really can't say anything.

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
HP is how much damage a Pokémon can take before buckling under the damage. It in no way correlates to the body mass of the Pokémon. You're thinking about it the wrong way.

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
Well WinterKirby, I know HP demonstrates the amount of damage and injury a Pokemon can endure. Not how many hits, because defense is important as well. Blissey has low defense but huge HP so she will only endure 2 hits but practically she will endure a ton of injuries and damage. Shuckle, having huge defenses and low HP, will endure 10 hits but he will be barely scratched. So, HP is the toughness of the Pokemon. Blissey may not be able to last as long against physical attacks due to low defense but she can survive horrific injuries.

And HP is based on body mass in some cases. Different Pokemon get their HP from different factors. Like, Wailord has gigantic HP because he is very large. Wobbuffet and Blissey may get their tremendous HP because of some sort of physiology which enables their body to cope with large amounts of damage. Wigglytuff may just be very tough so it can endure injuries thus the high HP.

Body mass is a factor. It's just not the only one. It's the most logical one though to be honest. A bigger force is required to bring down a large animal than a smaller one. A lion and a cat for example. Or a horse and a pony. The bigger you are, the harder to get knocked out because you have more surface on your body to spread injury on, so you can take more injuries.

Of course as I said, it's not the only one.

I would like to see your point of view. I mean you said HP is the amount of damage a Pokemon can take. Where exactly does this ability depend on in your opinion?

Back