• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FR/LG] Title Screen Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
VIDEO

PLEASE READ THIS FOR AN EASY: PUT SPRITE ON TITLESCREEN TUTORIAL

1. FOREWORD
This is a TitleScreen Editing tutorial for Pokémon Fire Red.
The pictures in this tutorial are made by Pako Master aka *Neos*, who originaly made a tutorial on this subject..
I didn't translated his tutorial.. but he get full credit !

2. WHAT YOU NEED
- A Pokémon Fire Red ROM
- Emulator
- UnLZ-GBA
- APE
- MS Paint (or any other picture editor)

3. LET US BEGIN [Sorry, only FireRed Editing for now]
- Open UnLZ-GBA and load your Fire Red ROM
- Now, we need to find Charizard.. As you can see in this screenshot, it's at 2011. (This CAN change per dump)
- On the same screenshot you see you need to use 16 Color Mode + For an easy to use pallete (Black-White) use pallete 1488
- Push the SaveAs-Button and save the Charizard picure anywhere you want.
- Open the Charizard in Paint.
- I think you allready saw that the Charizard looks wierd.. well, that's because it's a TileMap ;)
To edit the Charizard properly you need to put the TileMap in the right order
- Now, choose a Pokémon Sprite which you wan't to put on the TitleScreen.. In this example, Pako Master used a Kingdra.
- As you see.. you need to make a -let us call it a- PalleteBar from the Charizard and Kingdra..
- Now, recolor the Kingdra in all those grey colors.. (Don't use the darkest/black colors.. pallete editing can be a pain if you do)
- Clear the Charizard from the ordered TileMap..
- Put the Kingdra on it but keep in mind how Charizard was ordered !
- Ok, now you need to re-order the TileMap to its original state.. (How we saved the Charizard)
- Save the picture in its original size.. (So without the space and other stuff..)

4. PUT IT BACK IN
- Ok, so you're done editing.. now go back to UnLZ-GBA and push the Import-Button.
- Select your new TileMap and hit 'OK'.
- In the PopUp window use these settings. (» those are the auto-settings)
- Ok, now just save it to your ROM and your DONE..

5. CHECK YOUR WORK
- Open up your Emulator and open your ROM..
- w00t ! There's a Kingdra on the TitleScreen ! [Picture]
- After PalleteEditing it wil look like this !

Pokémon Leaf Green - Edit Venesaur

Last edited:

Martin Yiu

disappeared... forever
Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2008
Umm... Some help for desperate LG hackers (like me):

LG tilemap arrangement - I think it'll help you. It cannot be sized as Charizard in unLZ so the size of "tile" is 8x24 px. So make the Venusaur look weird by "-" button and you'll see row. Second smallest, I think. Clear the tilemap, put correctly your POKéMON, arrange the tilemap back and continue with this tutorial... D-Trogh, I hope it helps you and saves some time ;)

Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2007
geez i tried doing this for like an hour strait trying to put a lapras on it god its tricky cant do it :( gonna try again l8er

-Sasuke-

ダッジアベンジャ
Years
Thanks man this really helps, do you also know what are the offsets to the tile screens pallete?

Martin Yiu

disappeared... forever
Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2008
Umm... It was offtopic. Try the Help request thread in Team Discussions. Now, to pallettes. Try to search for it in hex editor. Look at the tut and it'll be easier.

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
Yeah, for the palletes you can use your VBA and Hex-Editor.. Look for the pallete in VBA (Pallete Viewer) and search for the colors in your Hex-Editor..

Then you can look for the offset

Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2007
so would a program such as hex workshop 4.2 be good enough to find the values and then edit them in?

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
Leaf Green Title Screen Editing

1. FOREWORD
Ok, all the screens used in this tutorial are made by micky from the WAH-forum.
This 'tutorial' will be SHORT..

2. WHAT YOU NEED
See the first post ^^
But now we'll use a Leaf Green ROM

3. LET US BEGIN
Ok, so this will be short ^^
- Open UnLZ-GBA and open your LG ROM..
- Goto 2012 and use pallete 1488
- Now, push the + sign till you get this.
- Push Save As and open your saved picture in Paint because you need to arange your tilemap. (Picture is resized)
- This is how it needs to be.. (Picture is resized)
- Ok, like te Charizard we'll fill this with black, so it looks like this.
- So.. we have the black aranged tilemap.. now you can put in the picture you want. In this example it's a Ho-Oh !
- Alright, the Pokémon is on it, with the grey colors.. so now we need to rearange the tilemap again. So like this.
- Naturally you need to delete the white space.. This means you need to save it like this

4. PUT IT BACK IN
- Ok, so this is what you save.. Import that in UnLZ-GBA

5. CHECK YOUR WORK
- Open up your VBA and check your work !
- After some pallete editing iy can look like this or this.

I hope this can help..

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2018
me rom is now total black i only see nidoran the name thing the arena's where peoples stand on and the overworld sprites other things are black:S

edit: omg i do it in 1 game and all me games are ruined now:S?

Hyunbin

w00t!~
Years
you have to do that yourself

question..
you said that the number for char/venu changes per dump
what does that mean.. "per dump"?
because i think that happened to me
i'm hacking leafgreen, and first it was in 2011
but now i can't find it @_@

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
Well see.. the ROMs you download where dumped by other people.. so you can call it dumps.. I don't know much about it, but maybe those dumping tools 'dump' on an other way and.. meh XD
When you can't find it, just look around ^^

Hyunbin

w00t!~
Years
thinking about it.. i think dump means to load the images o_O
i copied the gba file to another directory and opened that one, and the venusaur was back in 2011 o_o
weird lol

oh and thanks for the tutorial
i'm almost done editing the title screen
do u know how to change the actual title from "leafgreen"/"firered" to something else?
i can find it couple with the POKéMON logo in 2010, but the palette is really weird

Martin Yiu

disappeared... forever
Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2008
I just tried this tut in FR, because I restarted development of my hack and changed codebase, so I thought I will show here one finished titlescreen as a thank-you to D-Trogh for finding this tut.

NG_01-3.png

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2009
umm..ok I have a problem..I have my intro picture thing..I import it...and I click on write to rom...then it says "compressed size is 1F18. Which is too big. Aborting"

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back