• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
I think it's one of the best looking games i've EVER seen !!! Great job abnegation ! I really like rmxp games like this ( and pokemon forever lost ) but the only downside on rmxp games is that there aren't battle move animations :P

Ookiiushidesu

Lead Mapper/Eventer at Gen0
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
In most cases that is true. But RMXP Pokemon games can have animations. Just no one ever does them. We are trying to fully animate with Gen0.

The game still looks wonderdul :) Keep up the good work.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
The reason for massive delays on updates here, is mainly due to the engine. This is why. I'm most likely going to dump RMXP. So no more RMXP, no more .exe. This is the plan. The game is going to be developed in C++, for the DS. The engine for the DS is 70% done, meaning battling, 3D, and so forth is almost finished being created. I understand that you're all really looking forward to playing Phoenix Rising, but I do not want to release what we've seen a hundred times on PC. I don't want to release a tiny game on the corner of your screen you'll be bored with in a matter of minutes. And so, Phoenix Rising is being worked on as a DS game. The graphics and interfaces you see will remain much the same. However they will be slightly reworked to work with the DS. This is something you will see in the future.

That is the aim, and the plan. I am not scrapping all the work done on RMXP in case it does not work out. This seems ambitious, but it is no more so than making a full game on RMXP. With C++, things will be created much more easily. There's little question of "is this possible?" It is. And I've seen how this will work. I've seen it work, and it's in progress. So myself and the team intend on creating one of the first, if not the first, fan game for DS, from scratch.

This is all going to be made possible by a fantastic programmer named Rafael who I am working with. Let's hope it does. Until the engine is created, I will still be working on the RMXP version, and still be updating with it. I will also keep in contact with all of you about the potential DS version.

For anyone questioning how it would be released for the DS, you would need a Flash Cart, I would need to look into whether I could post the ROM, but I don't see why I could not as it will not belong to Nintendo or any other games company. However, we will worry about that in the future.

Have a nice day!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Regarding the ROM question, I do believe this would be a rare instance where you can post the ROM. You created it from scratch, it's a fan game, and it doesn't use any of the actual games as a reference point. Go ahead and post the ROM when you have it ready.

That's my opinion, and I feel will be the opinion of many here. And let me add...you know people WILL create hacks based on this ROM, right? ;)

Cyclone

Pichuichu

Creator Of (Insert Here)
Years
Yeah, I don't quite like the sound of that. or at least make it for the pc and then make a port for the ds or something like that.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Yeah, I don't quite like the sound of that. or at least make it for the pc and then make a port for the ds or something like that.
What don't you like? He programmed a fan-made game from scratch. It doesn't use Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HG/SS/Black/White at a ROM base. Why would he not be able to post a ROM of his own personal fan-made game? Nintendo wouldn't give a rat's behind about it; they can't touch it because it's fan-made from scratch. Sure it uses some of the same concepts, but it's made completely from scratch and is its own game.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Don't like the sound of what exactly? Playing this game on the DS rather than it being on a dead end, limited platform or the fact that I'd need to post a ROM? The latter of which should be legal to do as nobody but me and my team will own the rights to.

Atomic Reactor

Wouldn't you be using Pokemon sprites, names, and some other graphics? Technically the game wouldn't be 100% scratch then. So I'm sure nintendo could shut it down if they really wanted to. So I don't think Cyclone is right.

And as far as the computer being limited... I'm sure you could do plenty of different things... I don't think the computer is really limited at all, as it is just not as portable (is that kind of what you meant?)

I love the idea of it being put onto a DS, it sounds really awesome, and I'd love to see it happen! I hope you can get that figured out, and maybe release a small demo of the first town just to show it working when you get that far :)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Just as a side note, it's not ROMs that are illegal; it's the intellectual property in most of them. While Nintendo could technically say "Hey, those are copyrighted characters, you cannot post this", the chance that they're going to make a claim against something that is not even based on their ROM and contains things that they don't use in any of their games is next to nil. If anything, they like fan projects like these. This isn't a ROM of Pokémon Emerald; this is a made-from-scratch ROM they have no copyright claim to, and chances are in the credits Nintendo and Game Freak will be given credit with no claim of copyright on that material, just on the game story and features contained within.

If you were to SELL the ROM, on the other hand, then you'd draw their ire for certain.

Cyclone

Atomic Reactor

They own the title Pokemon... Just by calling it a Pokemon title gives them power over it... Just cause you don't edit their rom directly, doesn't mean it's safe to use their stuff. He's using "Pokemon" and characters from the series... So they could tell him to stop or something. I'm sure nothing like that will happen... But he's not automatically safe just cause it's not a hack...

They own the title Pokemon... Just by calling it a Pokemon title gives them power over it... Just cause you don't edit their rom directly, doesn't mean it's safe to use their stuff. He's using "Pokemon" and characters from the series... So they could tell him to stop or something. I'm sure nothing like that will happen... But he's not automatically safe just cause it's not a hack...
EXACTLY........And truthfully ive been waiting long enough like a lot of people.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Even so, I'd say there's a 0.01% chance they do anything. After all, it's a fan-made product. I see no harm in allowing it; then, if they decide they don't like it and say take it down, it can easily be done. Obviously I will never condone sharing actual game ROMs (Diamond, Black, you name it) directly, but fan-made games like this I would take a chance with. After all, wouldn't we already be in trouble for answering questions on how to find ROMs if they really wanted to do anything to us?

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023

Lol you could say that for every Pokemon fan game out there. Yours included. Nintendo would have the same chance ad merit of closing down this game of it were to be put on DS as they would if it were to remain as a .exe. I'm not going to be selling it, thus I retain an artistic license to create work based on theirs for non-profit purposes. I'd be using no more of their content than this forum itself does, and it has been here near 10 years.

Anyway RMXP has its limits, I don't understand why that is being contested. If this works out then great, but this topic is getting way well...off-topic. No more discussion of legality or plausibility of the game being created for DS. That's for me and the team to worry about. Thanks for the comments guys but keep discussion based on the game rather than the chance of Nintendo suing me lol. Not something I need to worry about.

Atomic Reactor

Yes, I would say that for every game on here lol. We're using their intellectual property, so if they really wanted, they could shut every one of us down lol.

Oh, I wasn't talking about limits for RMXP, I was referring to limits of computer based gaming itself. You had said "limited console" and I assumed you were talking about computer programs as a whole, not just RMXP haha.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well yeah RMXP is limited which is what I mean anyway. Still going to be developing this on a PC. Which means it should be playable on any system which can emulate or run a .nds file, and should be able to be converted for other platforms.

Technically Nintendo wouldn't have a case against me, or any fan-game creator here as you need to be damaging a percentage of their sales. What we're creating is essentially fan-art to GameFreak/Nintendo, and if anything, we're boosting the esteem of the companies by doing so.

Atomic Reactor

Well again, best of luck to you, It would be really cool if we could play this where ever we so pleased :) So what kind of limitations will you be facing? Color restrictions? Animation or scripting problems? I'm sure you can't just do anything you want, there have to be some sort of limitations?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Heck, sharing ROMs of R/B/G/Y, G/S/C, R/S/E would not damage sales...Nintendo does not directly sell the games any longer, I think, so we could technically even share those! D/P/P are still available however, so they are still limited.

I'm still waiting for this game to come out so I can comment further. As I said, if you ever need someone to test it once it hits the playability phase, I'm all for it.

Cyclone

Years
That's nice to see people working that hard in this project. (You all, for sure, don't know who I am, but anyways..)

Actually, I thought rom-making, rom-hacking were almost 'extinct' at this time...
I was waiting so much to play Pokémon Never (by Ricci), but I don't know what happened...
And then, when I was just looking stuff randomly at DeviantArt, I've found this! Amazing: the tiles, sprites, it all!

Unfortunately I couldn't read all the posts/replies etc. from you guys, but I'm your newest fan. For real. I was used to do the rom-hacking, but it's hard to do it if you're brazilian [you only have the 'fan' support, not that support from people with experience - we've got no (brazilian) forum since Myutsu, which wasn't even that famous/well visited - if you know what I mean]... It's hard to keep working on a project when all your hopes fall and plus, when you got to study and leave the internet aside.

From everything I said, just remember that: keep the great work.
I really wanna play this game. Even if it's on DS, on the PC, whatever.
Finally, I gotta say thanks for reviving this side of me, who love pokémon after all...

*ignore the mistakes, I speak portuguese, ok? [=

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
The custom music is freaking awesome. That alone makes me want to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back