• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thematic Motifs

Favorite thematic motif?

• Generation I - Genetics

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Generation II - Tradition

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Generation III - Nature

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Generation IV - Mythology

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Generation V - Dualism

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
Every generation and region had its own thematic motif. I was just wondering which one people liked the best?

Descriptions below from Bulbapedia:

Generation I
Spoiler:

Generation II
Spoiler:

Generation III
Spoiler:

Generation IV
Spoiler:

Generation V
Spoiler:

I personally didn't think abou thematic motifs until 4th gen, which went all out on the mythology aspect of the Pokémon World. I got really interested in Sinnoh myths and started researching the previous regions and what they represent. I personally like Generation I's genetics motif the best.

I guess you can also consider side game regions, but I'm not sure how well everything is planned out in them compared to the main regions.

Which thematic motif do you prefer, and why?

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Even though I like mythology I'm gonna go with Gen 3. I think that reflected the best on what it is based. With the masters of ground, water and air I geuss.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Generation 2. I've always had an interest in Japanese mythology, architecture, history, tradition, etc. Pokemon was my first experience with that so I didn't really recognise it relative to its bearing on the real world given my youth at the time, but I loved the buildings of Ecruteak and the Tin Tower's theme, and traditional Japanese went on to be one of my choice music genres for listening. Everything about the games somehow feels homely.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I really like the nature aspect in Generation 3. The theme around a pokemon that can create land and a pokemon that created the seas is something that I find intriguing and I didn't know even the starters could have reflected that.

I also like the 4th generation's concept of the creation of the pokemon universe. I'm interested in all kinds of mythology and I like the story of Arceus creating the controller of time, space, and anti-matter and being the creator of the lake trio.

Years
I actually like Dialga and Palkia and what they represent more, but I'm going with Gen III anyway because it's also interesting and better explained imo.

Years
I liked the Gen V motif of black and white.
This and that, people and Pokemon, yin and yang, right and wrong.
It's all very interesting to me.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I really enjoyed Hoenn's region a lot, since it had so much to do with nature and the environment.
There were many different and new areas, like the desert, or parts where it's always raining, also a volcano and underwater ruins. I think its one of the most diverse regions in the Pokemon universe.
And i liked the legendaries a lot, the golems not so much, but to this day i love Kyogre and Rayquaza!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Nature. I adore Hoenn's structure in that it's extremely diverse but there is still constant harmony between humans and Pokémon no matter where you go. The cohabitation aspect was very well-represented and was the major focus of that region along with the importance of natural balances. I love it a lot. ♥

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Generation III, The theme really suited Hoenn. I love the diversity of the region. And even though there are stark contrast between some parts of the region, like Fallarbor and Verdanturf, and the desert and rainforest, it still felt logical and natural to me. Not to mention that Hoenn had the best designed Pokemon, IMO.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I love the Nature theme in the Hoenn games. I thought the scenery was beautiful and the story really just fit, y'know? I loved the emphasis on weather, too.

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
Personally,I like all thematic motifs.
choosing one is like choosing a favorite child.

Back