• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Money can't buy happiness."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I disagree with it entirely, almost to the point where I think anyone who believes it is a fool. I've been on both ends, and I can tell you there was something different about having that ease of mind and not having to worry that made me happy. I agree with Jack 100%. It provides ease of mind, which provides a happier you since you don't have to worry about struggling with payments that you just can't afford to miss.

As long as there are bills to pay, money is a necessity in the world, and if you have a lot of it, you don't need to worry about the bills or the food or the kids or the house and provides happiness in that regard. There are a lot of things that build up definite happiness. You can find happiness in your friends, you can find happiness in your family, you can find happiness in your work. But I wouldn't be too happy being homeless on the streets, panhandling. Money is something like a handle towards happiness, but it still provides some happiness. There's nothing that buys happiness, because happiness comes from so many things, but any kind of happiness - whether it lasts a few seconds, or the rest of your life - is still happiness.

Many things actually. Nature, friends, animals, all supply us with happiness and sometimes you even profit by finding edible berries.
Friends aside, you need money for funding in order to nurture nature and animals, which was the point Vampire://Krimm was making. Unless you live by the earth, which I seriously doubt considering you're using a computer. Finding edible berries is good and all, but most would rather buy a burger (not necessarily true for me; I'm vegetarian) and fries from Wendy's to hold me over for the rest of the day than eat a stinkin' berry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Money itself can't buy happiness. You can't just go into a shop and ask for happiness in exchange for money. However, money can certainly indirectly lead to happiness. Whether it's consistent financial security to prevent constant worrying; whether it's hedonistic pleasure from simply spending the money; whether it's the opposite effect of the last entry and you give away all of the money in a generous gift of altruism.

Even relatively "free" causes of happiness - friends, family, relationships - need at least a steady supply of money to function and not break down. In those cases the money is a more indirect cause of happiness, but without it the family unit would break down, relationships would suffer and friends might drift apart.

So, money can definitely indirectly lead to happiness.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Money buys happiness. Without money (like I am right now) my life is certainly worse and I'm not nearly as happy as I would be with a source of income. You need money to buy the things you want, to provide for the things you need, and basically, you need it to live in this modern society. Without it,. you can't be happy. You'd be constantly worrying about whether you would lose the roof over your head, or where your next meal will come from. That certainly isn't happiness. neither is going without the luxuries that make life more pleasant. I doubt many people would be happy without being able to buy the things to keep you entertained.

No, you can't walk into Wal-Mart and buy a box or can of happiness. But the things you can buy with money certainly lead to happiness. They can't be ignored.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
It can buy temporary happiness, but not proper happiness.
Happiness money provides will were off.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Honestly, it's very subjective. There are people like my dad who will never be happy without money. Then there are those who are satisfied with a solid living. and Then you have those like Tibetan Buddhists who minimize what they need in search of eternal happiness.

Personally, I'd want that modest, solid living. I want to have peace of mind but still remain humble.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012
I think it depends on where you are. For someone who doesn't have very much money, suddenly coming into a large sum of money would make them quite happy. They could get all the things they so desperately want/need. A car, a house.... and they would be happy. Those who already have money and are unhappy due to something, well obviously money won't solve their problems.

I know very well that money would make me and my family very happy. We would finally be able to rise above this dreaded poverty line and not live in such anguish. We're all miserable with our current state of affairs, and most of our "plans" have money involved. So it isn't so much as having money, but being able to get what you need with it that creates the happiness.

Years
Money purchases goods required for subsistence. I cannot be happy if I cannot perform basic life functions so I may spend my idle time procuring pleasure.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2011
To be certain, money can't buy happiness. But with money, we can buy things that can make us happy, although these specific things aren't permanent which can be taken away from us, but with happiness from a person, that can't truly be bought with money, referring to experiences and memories.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Although I am money-faced, I feel that Money does not buy happiness. If it wouldn't for the modern day society, with that mindset of "No Money, No Talk" and elitism. I wouldn't mind being a toilet cleaner. Money just gives you luxury as everything in the world now needs money. If you asked me what my money is used for? I would say that I only need money to buy food, that's all. All of my other money would be saved, or probably at my local games shop.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I think what is meant by this old cliche is that the things in life that will grant you lasting happiness - love, friendships, people etc - can't be purchased with money. Granted, this is probably true. What it has turned into, however, is people saying "Money will not make you happy" and that is not true. At all.

This has become accompanied by other common attitudes - the primary one I can think of being that money corrupts people - and has made it so that having money is almost stigmatised in society. It's a recognised part of society that the rich are hated for being rich. That's why I don't believe in the phrase "money doesn't buy happiness". It's become a way for people to console themselves about not having as much money as they'd like to have.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
I don't agree with money can't buy happiness.
With money I can make my family live a good life, send my children to study in good school. How could I not be happy with that?

It's just not all happiness can be bought by money, for example: true love.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
It definitely depends on who you are, but in general, money can maybe buy you things which make you happy, but it can't buy you actual happiness in the end.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Can money buy happiness? Yes.

Can money buy all happinesses? Well, that would depend if things such as true love make you happy, but for the common person, no.

Money can buy the means to happiness, but what would really determine the happiness is your experience with what you have. For example: If you buy a video game, and you enjoyed it, then the money bought you something which gave you happiness, therefore, money essentially bought you happiness. The only merit to the saying is that money can't buy all things that make you happy.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
If you are going to ask me, I believe in the joke once said that:

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure more comfortable to cry in a limousine.

It cannot really buy happiness. However, it can buy causes of temporary enjoyment, like vehicles, luxury items, technology. And for the people in our society nowadays, temporary happiness= lifetime happiness.

Farelsien

A Level 18 Human
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 11, 2013
I'd say the extremely wealthy person probably overall has more happiness than the person who has to live paycheck to paycheck, so in that sense, yeah, being financially well off does help in having a happy life.

Centiflora X

Thread Killer
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2011
Wait, is happiness everyone's top priority? What is happiness? Do we really need happiness? And if so, why? Would someone die physically without it? If happiness is so important, surely someone must have figured out how to easily be happy without money all the time already and teach it as part of some kind of school curriculum or something.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
Being happy is something related to the person personality...i believe yes,money won't ever buy happiness....for exampel,you prefer if you're lost and isolated in a far away island and you have lots and lots of gold...or have not bad credit while being around friends and family...

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Wait, is happiness everyone's top priority? What is happiness? Do we really need happiness? And if so, why? Would someone die physically without it? If happiness is so important, surely someone must have figured out how to easily be happy without money all the time already and teach it as part of some kind of school curriculum or something.

What would be everyone's top priority, if not the pursuit of happiness? The fact that something isn't a physical requirement for survival doesn't make it unimportant to life. Happiness is what changes an existence into a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back