• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I wrote a pretty amusing Limerick in English once. Other than that, I don't seem to be a poet 8)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Poems is a way to make words and text sound good. But how about when you write on a forum or other digital place and want to make your text look good - do you care? Do you prefer to write in certain fonts or do you think a lot about how you space up your dialogue and sentences and stuff? Or do you even mix in art?

Yeah this could totally be a Writer's Lounge topic I realized now O.o But nah.

Personally, I like plain dark text on bright background. Simple fonts, very spacy text. Both when I read and type myself. No fancy stuff, no background images or stuff. I guess illustrations here and there, or at least one per chapter would be incredibly cool though, if I was able to make them.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I don't spend too much time on wording. I just use the default font and color, since I think what you're trying to convey works best with words, rather than flashy fonts. In some cases, it makes you seem like you're trying to hard, in my opinion.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Default font and regular spacing (as if I was posting on the forum) for me, for the most part. I suppose sticking to default font/colour when posting is purposeful, because it can look bad when on a different skin, so really default is best.

I'll use some formatting to better present e.g. thoughts/telepathic speech (italics), and signs (centreing, bold), but otherwise it's pretty simple.

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
Years
I think the imagery of the text and background can deliver a bit more with poetry, as well as any story. But, that's just me. ;P I don't mind the traditional black text and white background, though.

Also, I have three posts of poetry in my poetry thread, if any of you would like to check it out maybe... ?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
dis needz bumpin

So, I don't usually write much fanfiction but I recently started to write one for Doctor Who, rather seriously. I have it all planned out and I'm posting it online and receiving some feedback and followers. Feels odd to have people read my things. Oddly good :3

And my story here on PC got sort of halted because I started rewriting it in my native language which kind of felt better, to be honest. We'll see if I pick the English one up at some point, maybe just to have something to rewrite once I catch up with it in the Swedish version xD

Do you guys rewrite old stories or do you think that once you've written something and put it away, you shouldn't try and make a different story of it? I'm not talking about editing and minor things, I'm talking about revamping a whole concept to try and make it a more or less different story. I've done that, many times.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I don't really rewrite stuff because I don't have much to rewrite quite yet. Maybe when I have more stories I'll go back and rewrite some of them. Alien Poverty got off track of my original plan, so I'll definitely be rewriting that in the future.

Bay

Years
I did that before. There was one fic (not Pokemon) that was around 13K that had several concept and canon problems here and there. I then did another story and put a few ideas from my previous 13K fic in it since I like the ideas and want to do them justice.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
If it counts as a major rewrite, I just had that happen to me.

I have one story that I've been trying to write for the past few years. The basics of the plot has stayed the same, along with some details of the characters. I finished one version last year, thought that I was done, but during the editing phase, things weren't working well.

So I started the story over again with the changes in mind. Except I didn't know how to get the plot to move along because I wasn't sure why the characters would decide to do a Thing To Move Plot.

So I started the story over again with differences in the characters' motivations, to see if that would help. Except then I finally realized that the problem with the story is that the two main characters have absolutely zero chemistry together.

So I started the story over again after reworking a character and the story seems to be going better. Before, I used to struggle to get a page written for this story. Now I'm just so excited to sit down and write, and I'm constantly thinking over the plot. I hope that soon I'll have some time to concentrate on it. My days are so busy that I don't get much time to write. :(

Vincent

Often moronically charismatic
Years
To be honest, When I write my stories I just go for it.Y'know? Once I'm done writing the basics of my story I deepen plot with some conflicts and throw some characters along with it. Music thoroughly helps me with writing. It kinda sets the mood for me. :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Music really helps, yes! I've always got some suitable tracks or even more often soundtracks from movies or games in the background when I'm writing stories.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
I agree, music really does help one get into the mood especially when you're writing, but it's probably recommended to listen to the right music, like when you're going to be writing a sad romance story but listen to some pretty heavy wub drops. I tried doing something like this, it doesn't work that way.

Also, recently written? Hmm, I probably wrote a tonne of random short horror stories here and there for no actual reason in particular, but I guess it kind of helps me calm down, somehow. But I am really trying my best to actually finish up my novel because it's been a really long time already but, gah procrastination!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I have a playlist for songs that help me write. A lot of the music is from the How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack. Now those are some good songs!

Also, I saw a movie yesterday. It was good, but I couldn't help but think how I would have changed a few parts. The plot was okay, but I found the writing to be weak and not very consistent. Do you guys ever find yourselves critiquing movies and the like?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Also, I saw a movie yesterday. It was good, but I couldn't help but think how I would have changed a few parts. The plot was okay, but I found the writing to be weak and not very consistent. Do you guys ever find yourselves critiquing movies and the like?
Gotta find that soundtrack then! I'm obsessed with soundtracks and have a playlist on spotify where I gather the most beautiful such tracks I know :D Excellent background for when writing (or doing homework, unless it makes my thoughts wander. Which. Happens.)

And yeah, I do that with movies more often than not, I think. But sounds like you want to write a fanfic about how you would have liked it to be written then ;);)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Nope. Never. There isn't a single movie out there that didn't make me start writing analysis and reviews of the movie or the books that the movie is based on.

emot-ssh.gif

When it comes to music while writing, I use a few different stations on Pandora for some good variety, depending on my mood or what I'm writing.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I most certainly listen to a bunch of music when writing. Usually it's random select, sometimes it'd be a specific album or playlist.

I do have thoughts like that with movies or etc too. Such as with the last movie I saw (the LEGO movie), one part towards the end I felt would have been better removed, really.

And rewriting... I'd been doing a bunch of edits of my first fic of late (the final ones, haha), but it's less rewrite and just light edits - better wording, maybe an extra sentence, catching last typos but I'm mostly content with the events. (And after all, it's a parody, many of the events already exist anyway in a set order, haha).

But a fic I'm just about finishing off bar MORE EDITING has gone through a bunch of rewrites. The final product has... a bunch more themes and ideas than I initially had, some changes to how/why events happened, a change to a major plot idea, etc. And really I could probably run away and add so much more too, but I figure that'd just take away all too much from the main idea I wanted to write about in the first place. >_>

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I only ever listen to instrumental music when I'm writing as lyrics tend to derail my own thoughts. Usually it's really inspiring, epic-sounding music soundtracks, like Lord of the Rings or Pirates of the Caribbean, but sometimes it can be more mellow and heartfelt, along the lines of Explosions In The Sky. I love writing to music like that, it makes the work feel so much more momentous than it actually is.

Jojirius

Jacuzzi Ant
Years
I only ever listen to instrumental music when I'm writing as lyrics tend to derail my own thoughts. Usually it's really inspiring, epic-sounding music soundtracks, like Lord of the Rings or Pirates of the Caribbean, but sometimes it can be more mellow and heartfelt, along the lines of Explosions In The Sky. I love writing to music like that, it makes the work feel so much more momentous than it actually is.

Same. When there are lyrics, it's really distracting because my mind automatically tries to follow along, even if it's a song I know by heart already.

Instrumental music is great for writing, studying, or any sort of work.

Sometimes I also listen to music in languages I don't know, for the same reason. Anime OPs, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back