• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Doctor Who: The Mad Man with a Box

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Doctor who is a timeless series depicting the adventures of a Time Lord, Doctor Who, and his various companions as they explore all of time and space, solving mysteries and saving planets as they go. But we all knew that, so what I'm interested in is your thoughts about it! We're here to discuss anything and everything related to Doctor Who, so don't be shy any Whovians out there. This is a thread that could encompass any number of Doctor Who related topics, so we'll start off with one simple question and see where the discussion leads us.

Most topical right now in light of the recent Christmas episode featuring Jenna-Louise Coleman as the Doctor's new companion is the topic of how well she's going to fare and whether or not she'll match up to Karen Gillan as Amy Pond. Personally I thought Jenna played Clara Oswin-Oswald incredibly well and that she'll be a wonderful new addition to the cast. Her flirtatious nature and banter with the Doctor was refreshing to see so I'm expecting great things from their oncoming relationship, but perhaps the underlying "she's already died twice and keeps coming back in different time periods" issue will just lead to a whole new confusing story arc for us to scratch our heads through all over again? She had an obvious determination to support the Doctor and stick by him so there's no question in my mind about her being a great choice for a companion, but perhaps Karen should've stayed around a little longer before leaving the show whilst they were just starting to get back into the old "there's a problem -> Doctor and companion sort it" stories, as opposed to the whole recent confusing story arcs about who is who's child and who's marrying then killing who in what time period and how many times etc.

So what are your expectations about Jenna taking over as the Doctor's new assistant?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
As much as I loved Amy and Rory the conclusion to their story was brilliant and one of the best pieces of television I have watched in years (plus they brought us River Song). Not sure how the whole 'Doctor has deleted himself from every database in the world' thing is going to play out but it'll sure be interesting. I thought Clara was quite funny and I would like to see more of her before I make a judgement; especially as I didn't like the Christmas special too much (I never usually do, they're too dumbed down in my opinion.).

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I'm not particularly looking forward to Clara, only because it seems like she's going to be yet another companion who happens to be in love with the Doctor and fawns all over him. I don't mind that angle, but it feels very overdone in this new era of Doctor Who. I do like her feisty nature though, she seems like someone who might be able to go toe to toe with the Doctor himself. I am interested in her story, she seems more mysterious right off the bat than any of the other companions have in quite some time.

And maybe it's just me, but I think it'd be kind of neat to have the Doctor with a solo male companion for a while.

Also, is anyone else bummed at the mumblings that this year's Doctor Who output is probably going to be the rest of this season, the Christmas special, and maybe an anniversary special? So much for that "more Doctor Who than ever in 2013" remark from one of the show runners.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'm just happy the Ponds have finally jumped ship. I loved Rory so, so much but Amy definitely overstayed her welcome for me. I really like how Karen Gillan played her but I'm nooot a fan of Moffat's writing and generally haven't really liked any characters a whole lot since he took over in series 5. :( But hopefully now that there's a new companion, the show won't feel so stagnant?

I'm also worried that Clara will be much of the same again. She follows the same "strong female character" archetype that all the females have now (sassy, flirty, & occasionally kick-ass until the Doctor inevitably needs to save them) and while simply having a new actor in the midst is a breath of fresh air, I'm hoping she breaks away from that a little more and becomes a truly unique character so that we don't just have River 2.0.
Also, is anyone else bummed at the mumblings that this year's Doctor Who output is probably going to be the rest of this season, the Christmas special, and maybe an anniversary special? So much for that "more Doctor Who than ever in 2013" remark from one of the show runners.
Did they ever specify that the "more Doctor Who than ever" part was about the current TV series? 'Cause I know there's a bunch of extras coming around to celebrate the 50th anniversary. A series of short stories about each Doctor written by a popular children's author is in the works, I believe a second anniversary special with multiple Classic Doctors has been announced, plus the regular season (well, the end of the regular season at least), probably Moffat's 50th special, Christmas, then any other hype from the Anniversary (like those snazzy stamps they announced the other week). It looks like the franchise is getting a lot of merch/hype this year so maybe that's what they meant...?

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Did they ever specify that the "more Doctor Who than ever" part was about the current TV series? 'Cause I know there's a bunch of extras coming around to celebrate the 50th anniversary. A series of short stories about each Doctor written by a popular children's author is in the works, I believe a second anniversary special with multiple Classic Doctors has been announced, plus the regular season (well, the end of the regular season at least), probably Moffat's 50th special, Christmas, then any other hype from the Anniversary (like those snazzy stamps they announced the other week). It looks like the franchise is getting a lot of merch/hype this year so maybe that's what they meant...?
I would think so. Moffat did make the claim that the series was going to be in production longer than ever and that they were specifically pushing the show back so it could air on autumn and winter nights where the episode airs when it's dark out and that...kind of happened. The longer production bit could just mean that season 7 has a longer production period because of the weird way the episodes are spread out, but I kind of think he would be a bit more clear on the matter if that was the case. I mean, half the fandom could be jumping to conclusions, but it just seems like something that would be addressed if that was the case.

Cherrim

Years
I would think so. Moffat did make the claim that the series was going to be in production longer than ever and that they were specifically pushing the show back so it could air on autumn and winter nights where the episode airs when it's dark out and that...kind of happened. The longer production bit could just mean that season 7 has a longer production period because of the weird way the episodes are spread out, but I kind of think he would be a bit more clear on the matter if that was the case. I mean, half the fandom could be jumping to conclusions, but it just seems like something that would be addressed if that was the case.
Doesn't "in production" just mean it'll take longer than ever before to film/add in after-affects? I'm not used to media terminology but that definitely sounds like a roundabout way of hyping people without actually delivering any "more" content, just the same amount as they're used to. :P

And I don't think Moffat's ever been too concerned with squashing rumours like that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
And maybe it's just me, but I think it'd be kind of neat to have the Doctor with a solo male companion for a while.
Now this is something I'd love to see. The episodes where he was working with James Corden or with Donna's granddad were great, I loved the dynamic of him having a male assistant as it cut out all of the constant flirting and made it more about "We've got a job to do, let's do it in an awesome way!"

I'm just happy the Ponds have finally jumped ship. I loved Rory so, so much but Amy definitely overstayed her welcome for me. I really like how Karen Gillan played her but I'm nooot a fan of Moffat's writing and generally haven't really liked any characters a whole lot since he took over in series 5. :( But hopefully now that there's a new companion, the show won't feel so stagnant?
Ehh this sums up my thoughts about Moffat too. The change of writers really didn't benefit the show well. I can't see him changing this for the new companion though, if anything it's just going to get worse now that he's past his introductory period and he has a character that he's controlled from the start to play around with.

I guess it's the kind of rumour where if one person says it and other people want it to be true, they'll say it too haha. I do hope it's not just a rumour, but with the 50 year anniversary coming up and all the plans of 'bringing old Doctors' and such, I am expecting quite a lot from 2013. Quantity of episodes doesn't necessarily equate to 2013 being a good year or not, but as long as there's an obvious change in Moffat's writing style or at least some decent story/character hooks to prepare us for 2014 then I'll be happy enough. Although "longer production" could just mean they're playing around with special effects more than ever as we can see from the Christmas special haha.

Cherrim

Years
Now this is something I'd love to see. The episodes where he was working with James Corden or with Donna's granddad were great, I loved the dynamic of him having a male assistant as it cut out all of the constant flirting and made it more about "We've got a job to do, let's do it in an awesome way!"
I liked Donna herself for this too! She and the Doctor were just BFFs, no romance required. A lot of the male companions (temporary or not) we see with the Doctor are a little too go-with-the-flow for me. Rory was great, but he pretty much followed orders 100% and if he were travelling alone with the Doctor, he wouldn't amount to very much I don't think. Wilf was awesome too but he was also just along for the ride.

I think my favourite male companion was Jack although it doesn't really get rid of the whole flirting angle. :P But I always felt Jack was very different from any of the female companions with a crush just because of his character. No drama, no expectations, he just flirted with EVERYONE and that happened to include the Doctor as well so... does it even count?
Ehh this sums up my thoughts about Moffat too. The change of writers really didn't benefit the show well. I can't see him changing this for the new companion though, if anything it's just going to get worse now that he's past his introductory period and he has a character that he's controlled from the start to play around with.
I know... I'm trying to stay positive though because I want to still like the series. I do like Clara and I want to keep liking her, but I just have such low expectations for Moffat's writing that I fully expect her to be River/Amy in a new skin and I'm also preparing myself for that. :/

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Doesn't "in production" just mean it'll take longer than ever before to film/add in after-affects? I'm not used to media terminology but that definitely sounds like a roundabout way of hyping people without actually delivering any "more" content, just the same amount as they're used to. :P

And I don't think Moffat's ever been too concerned with squashing rumours like that.

That's pretty much what I've figured after it became clear that this year we were actually going to get fewer episodes than we've had in a very long time. It's just...I dunno. You sort of expect something a little bigger for the anniversary. I mean, yeah, there's all the miscellaneous stuff released, but the TV show is the big big draw. S'why I'm hoping the anniversary special actually manages to bring together some old doctors. I don't think anything has been announced regarding that special other than its existence. (with all the usual "it's going to be a historic event" PR fluff)

Given how prone the producers are into creating female companions that...aren't very different from each other, I think a male companion would shake up the dynamic quite a lot. Even though I don't think it was ever just those two alone, Jamie and the Second Doctor is my favorite combination of Doctor and companion. Even back then, it just felt so fresh, something that you didn't see terribly often and it made the show much more interesting to watch. They're just so much fun on screen together, which is probably why that's my favorite era of Doctor Who. (well that and the Third Doctor's era)

Years
Given how prone the producers are into creating female companions that...aren't very different from each other, I think a male companion would shake up the dynamic quite a lot. Even though I don't think it was ever just those two alone, Jamie and the Second Doctor is my favorite combination of Doctor and companion. Even back then, it just felt so fresh, something that you didn't see terribly often and it made the show much more interesting to watch. They're just so much fun on screen together, which is probably why that's my favorite era of Doctor Who. (well that and the Third Doctor's era)
Jamie and 2nd Doctor had good chemistry. I think the actors really got along so that probably has something to do with it. They're also one of my favorite pairings along with Jo and 3rd Doctor and Donna and 10th Doctor.

I'm also worried that Clara will be much of the same again. She follows the same "strong female character" archetype that all the females have now (sassy, flirty, & occasionally kick-ass until the Doctor inevitably needs to save them) and while simply having a new actor in the midst is a breath of fresh air, I'm hoping she breaks away from that a little more and becomes a truly unique character so that we don't just have River 2.0.
This is what I'm worried about, too. I think River was a great character because she was first imaged when RTD was at the helm and the Moff was one of the writers. I think both of these guys have flaws, but that together they made something really good with her character and back story. Amy was initially a good character when she was the little girl who waited for the imaginary man from her childhood. I don't know what to make of her, but I'm kind of glad she's gone since I think her character ran out of steam a while ago. I hope the new companion is more like early Amy, or Donna. Amy's personal story was wrapped in the overall plot and that's something I think Moffat does well. And Donna could go toe-to-toe with the Doctor without being, essentially, a female version of the Doctor who could do anything, which is the feeling I get from this new companion.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I liked Donna herself for this too! She and the Doctor were just BFFs, no romance required. A lot of the male companions (temporary or not) we see with the Doctor are a little too go-with-the-flow for me. Rory was great, but he pretty much followed orders 100% and if he were travelling alone with the Doctor, he wouldn't amount to very much I don't think. Wilf was awesome too but he was also just along for the ride.
This is exactly why I liked Donna too, and the same with James Cordon's character. I disagree about Rory though, I reckon he'd stand up to the Doctor a lot more if Amy wasn't around since it'd be more of a power struggle between the two males whereas when they were travelling as a trio, Amy was pretty much in charge of them both haha. This was the main thing that I started to dislike about Amy, the show became all about her at many different points where I'd prefer it to focus on the Doctor and them saving planets etc. They took her way too far, especially with the whole "infertile --> divorce" situation that arose - that kind of stunned me that they'd actually go to those extremes haha.

I think my favourite male companion was Jack although it doesn't really get rid of the whole flirting angle. :P But I always felt Jack was very different from any of the female companions with a crush just because of his character. No drama, no expectations, he just flirted with EVERYONE and that happened to include the Doctor as well so... does it even count?
Jack was amazing, yes! But the Doctor never seemed to like him much, he kept treating him like he didn't belong which was disappointing - he would've made a great permanent assistant. My favourite moment with Jack was the whole Master trilogy of episodes, his character really shone there. Shame Martha was there to spoil it, the rest of the episodes/cast were amazing.

I hope the new companion is more like early Amy, or Donna... And Donna could go toe-to-toe with the Doctor without being, essentially, a female version of the Doctor who could do anything, which is the feeling I get from this new companion.
This is exactly what I'm hoping for too. The Doctor-Donna dynamic that was evolving throughout the series was really refreshing to see, it's just a shame how it all ended. Donna was definitely one of my favourite companions as a result of how they acted together though, so I'm excited to see whether Clara can live up to this or not. As long as she doesn't become like Amy's later half then I think she'll go down a storm.

Cherrim

Years
This is what I'm worried about, too. I think River was a great character because she was first imaged when RTD was at the helm and the Moff was one of the writers. I think both of these guys have flaws, but that together they made something really good with her character and back story. Amy was initially a good character when she was the little girl who waited for the imaginary man from her childhood. I don't know what to make of her, but I'm kind of glad she's gone since I think her character ran out of steam a while ago. I hope the new companion is more like early Amy, or Donna. Amy's personal story was wrapped in the overall plot and that's something I think Moffat does well. And Donna could go toe-to-toe with the Doctor without being, essentially, a female version of the Doctor who could do anything, which is the feeling I get from this new companion.
Honestly, I'm not really a fan of River. I thought she was really intriguing when she first showed up but she's just been handled so strangely that I don't have any real connection with her. With most other characters, we see into their lives a lot and we get to know them. Since River was made out to be ~SUCH A MYSTERY~, we never got that with her. Even in episodes where they reveal all sorts of her secrets, they're always just "plot point A and then plot point B but don't let that settle in for long because PLOT POINT C SURPRISE!!!" We never get time to sit and think about her and then every appearance she has, she's just all-knowing and practically omnipotent. Like the Doctor except she never explains anything and instead of an explanation she just flirts and it's... it's really annoying to me. :( But again, I think this is just Moffat's writing because iirc a lot of the River-centric episodes were written by Moffat himself instead of handed off to other writers.

Definitely agree that the new companion feels really doctor-y. Like, so far the only character flaw I've noticed from her is that she... dies a lot? I guess we haven't had a whole lot of time to examine her and get to know her but considering the treatment of characters (especially female characters) since the head writer switch-off, I just find it so hard to have high hopes for her. I feel like if they don't give her some actual defining traits, she really will just become a second River which is redundant.
This is exactly why I liked Donna too, and the same with James Cordon's character. I disagree about Rory though, I reckon he'd stand up to the Doctor a lot more if Amy wasn't around since it'd be more of a power struggle between the two males whereas when they were travelling as a trio, Amy was pretty much in charge of them both haha. This was the main thing that I started to dislike about Amy, the show became all about her at many different points where I'd prefer it to focus on the Doctor and them saving planets etc. They took her way too far, especially with the whole "infertile --> divorce" situation that arose - that kind of stunned me that they'd actually go to those extremes haha.
Rory doesn't really like the Doctor. Mainly because of Amy, I think, but he's just... I dunno. I can't imagine him actually going around with the Doctor for more than an episode or two on his own. He doesn't really want a part in any of the danger and really only seemed to stick with it because he was married to the Most Important Girl In The Universe 2.0 and that's what she wanted to run around doing. :/ He just never had much chemistry with the Doctor for me. But I agree that Amy became too much of the focus and that's why I'm so glad the Ponds are gone. I liked them but I didn't like their plots and I HATED that Amy was such a focal point for the entire series but... we learn almost nothing about her. I can't really name much of anything that she liked/disliked, I don't know much of her history, I don't know anything about her dreams (her becoming a model, making her own perfume, etc... I didn't really see a connection between that and anything that had been shown to me prior, for example. I mean, I had no issues with it but it just seemed so random). I just can't understand how a character can be so very important yet so very bland when you try to dig deep down.

I was fine with the infertile thing. It was interesting, even. Devastating! But the fact that it came up and was resolved in... what... 2 minutes? That was ridiculous. Factor in that we had no idea the Ponds were having problems before that episode (unless we watched the Youtube short prequel which, let's face it, the majority of viewers didn't) and the fact that the whole thing takes only one episode to fix--and the Ponds don't even fix it themselves, really, it's the Doctor who pushes all of it--just irked me so much. I think it could have been a really emotional insight into Amy and Rory's relationship, being able to see each other as equals and learning to talk things out properly... and we don't get any of the impact or any of the sympathizing feelings because it's all so abrupt and before we can even process they're having marital issues over a serious problem, it's fixed and wrapped up nicely with a bow. Okay. I had a LOT of issues with that episode, haha.
Jack was amazing, yes! But the Doctor never seemed to like him much, he kept treating him like he didn't belong which was disappointing - he would've made a great permanent assistant. My favourite moment with Jack was the whole Master trilogy of episodes, his character really shone there. Shame Martha was there to spoil it, the rest of the episodes/cast were amazing.
I think he warmed up to him in the end but I guess he still kept him at quite a distance throughout, which is a little unfortunate. But I still think Jack was a good influence when there was someone else there. Sort of took the edge off the (often annoying) sexual tension between the crushing companion and the Doctor. Plus, he knew his way around time and space while still being modest about it. Well. Sort of modest. Sometimes. Ish. :P

Aww, Martha. :( I really wish she hadn't had such a crappy series to star in. Immediately after Rose was just the wrooong time for her and she just got the short end of the stick in so much of that series. She was awesome in series 4 and because of how much her character developed, I think she's my second favourite of the main companions in NuWho. But ugh do I ever wish she hadn't had the unrequited love story.

Years
Oh, Martha. How I wish she'd been more of a presence on Torchwood after her DW season ended. They teased so badly at the end of season 4. I really did like Martha, but yeah, it was a bad idea for her to be rebound companion. (It doesn't help that I was never a big fan of Rose.)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Aww, Martha. :( I really wish she hadn't had such a crappy series to star in.
Really? I thought it was the complete opposite; the stories she was given were all-in-all pretty decent compared to over series, but I thought she ruined them tbh. For example the Master trilogy in her season was probably made up of some of the best stories yet, but any other companion would've been so much better to take part in them. Whenever I watch Martha she always seems to have an air of "I'm the most important person you'll ever meet" and that just kind of annoys me haha. I feel bad saying this stuff without backing it up, but I don't remember her series well enough to try so perhaps I'm being a little biased here. Anyone have some favourite Martha episodes to suggest?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I haven't watched much DW since Matt Smith joined, since both his acting and Moffat's ego annoy me greatly.

I'm just looking forward to the next regeneration >< I might be able to enjoy it more again then.

Years
Anyone have some favourite Martha episodes to suggest?
Human Nature / The Family of Blood (the one where they're hiding in the early 20th century at a school) was a good two-parter. I can't remember if this is one of the better episodes that Martha's in, but it's one of the better parts of the season on the whole. (Blink is, of course, my favorite from this season, but it's the one that features one-off characters.) I thought the whole season got better and better with each episode.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Human Nature / The Family of Blood (the one where they're hiding in the early 20th century at a school) was a good two-parter. I can't remember if this is one of the better episodes that Martha's in, but it's one of the better parts of the season on the whole. (Blink is, of course, my favorite from this season, but it's the one that features one-off characters.) I thought the whole season got better and better with each episode.
See I remember those being great stories, but Martha just didn't seem to fit them. It could just be that I'm remembering them wrong, but didn't Martha seem a little out of place with the series? I think it was the deep love/obsession she had for the Doctor and without it being reciprocated like it was with Rose, it just made her seem like a filler character until Rose returned - especially with how often the Doctor spoke about Rose to Martha. I guess that's not really her fault though, it's hard to top something like the bond between the Doctor and Rose without him instantly moving on from her and leaving that whole story as fickle :p

Years
I always found Amy's and Rori's end to be so....broken. Don't get me wrong. The first time I watched it I bawled. The second and third time however, I started to notice a rather unsettling question left unanswered. Sure the Doctor couldn't ever enter New York City again, but what would stop Amy and Rory from leaving New York and signalising the Doctor the way they have in the past?

I agree with AlexOzzyCake that Martha is the weakest companion in the New series, but I also have a hard time putting it to words, I used to hate Donna, it took me awhile to grow fond of her as a character.

I'm fairly impartial on River, but I will say this. If you watch Season 5 and 6 and then go back to The Season 4 2 parter The Silence in the Library/(I can't remember). That episode starts to carry far more weight.

Also, does anyone agree that Moffet just can't get the Daleks right? RTD might of overused them, but at least his episodes didn't constantly retcon an already well established history and lore.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'm fairly impartial on River, but I will say this. If you watch Season 5 and 6 and then go back to The Season 4 2 parter The Silence in the Library/(I can't remember). That episode starts to carry far more weight.
Before I go ahead and do this, can I just ask if they made many references/etc to what happens in the future? I never really thought about going back and looking at her past appearances but that could be a bit of fun - I much preferred her in the older episodes though. I think they took it slightly too far with the whole marriage/Amy's daughter/etc thing. Complexity for the sake of being complex!

Also, does anyone agree that Moffet just can't get the Daleks right? RTD might of overused them, but at least his episodes didn't constantly retcon an already well established history and lore.
On the contrary I think Moffat's doing pretty well with the Daleks! I never liked them at all with the previous writing since they just seemed so overused and they seemed to crop up everywhere, but I found the new tangents created by Moffat really interesting. I thought it was quite a lot more watchable than some of the previous ones, at least! I think I've just never liked the Daleks since they seem like such an A) Bland and B) Unlikely enemy to keep cropping up so frequently, it just ruins them a little for me. What direction would you like to see him take them in?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I can't wait for Clara. Amy and Rory were excellent, but something about Clara is making me happy. Its partially her acting skills in Asylum(my god that mini skirt) and partially her preformance as Clara in the Christmas Special, and completely the new breath of fresh air for the series. Amy and Rory were too plot heavy, with them becoming as important as the doctor. I do realize that in the beginning the companions were indeed the focus, but with the later episodes being more about the doctor, the regression doesn't jive well with the show.
Not to mention River's a mess, and I still don't get much about here. If Angels was her final showing like people are speculating, I am severely disappointed, cause while her reveal was satisfying, nothing else about her is. BTW, I loved the twist for Angels in Manhattan. The way they broke the Angels feeding line was excellent, and I can't believe the ending was pulled off so brilliantly. The angels lost, the day is saved, but wait, no, NO! Man was that heart breaking.

And hell no, Moffat is easily the best writer for the Daleks. I love the new ones with the eyes in the stalks, and the Asylum was completely awesome. A Dalek junkyard? Sweet! Also, now that the Daleks are free from fearing the doctor again, they're gonna go notch 11 when it comes to insanity, mark my words.

Back