• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Discuss: Sonic the Hedgehog (and SEGA in general)

Lugia's Shadow

Guardian of the Sea
Years
Hi there.

I'm sure that if you've looked at my avatar and my signature, I'm quite the Sonic fan. Especially Sonic 3 and Knuckles, that game is flawless. So, I've taken time to create this thread for the other Sonic fans who lurk PC, who wanna discuss the blue blur + SEGA's other mascots.
But of course, rules. Simple rules.

1. No fighting.
I don't want a genwunner-esque feud in this thread. You should know what I mean. Whining about classic > modern, or the other way around. If you want to bicker, make it private.

Other than that, have a nice day, and have fun chatting!

~ Lugia.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I've played through...

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Sonic Advance 1, 2, and 3
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Generations

And I have Sonic Heros and Secret Rings but I haven't really played them.

I've played more Sonic games than I thought o.o Anyway, really really enjoyed Generations. Best one I've played

Shooting me Softly

This is the wrong forum....
Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2013
Sonic is okay. The classics are pretty good games, especially CD and 3&K which are the best ones, but the 3D ones are a mixed bag. The Adventure games have aged about as well as a jar of mouldy apple sauce, and to be frank not very well designed games in their own right. The modern games are of course terrible bar Colors and Gens...

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
I'm not much of a sonic fan. *clearsthroatmarioclearsthroat* Very first Sonic game I played and owned were two versions of Sonic The Hedgehog 2. The Mega Drive/Genesis version being the first Sonic game I played, and the Sega Game Gear version being the first Sonic game I owned as a child. I had the Game Gear before Gameboy with Gameboy Camera. Other than two versions of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I'm going to list the games...

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic 3D Blast (Sonic Mega Collection)
Sonic Spinball (Sonic Mega Collection)
Sonic R (Sonic Gems Collection)
Sonic Fighters (Sonic Gems Collection)
Sonic CD (Sonic Gems Collection, and Steam)
Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Steam)
Sonic Gamegear Collection (SADX and SGems)
Sonic Adventure 2 (Gamecube, and Steam)
Sonic Heroes (Gamecube)
Sonic Advance 1 and 2
Sonic Battle
Shadow the Hedgehog (Playstation 2)
Sonic Unleashed (Nintendo Wii)
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations (Steam)

Though, my favorite 2D Sonic game has to be Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, and for 3D, I'm going to say Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Sonic is okay. The classics are pretty good games, especially CD and 3&K which are the best ones, but the 3D ones are a mixed bag. The Adventure games have aged about as well as a jar of mouldy apple sauce, and to be frank not very well designed games in their own right. The modern games are of course terrible bar Colors and Gens...
This pretty much represents my opinion, except I much prefer Sonic 2 over 3&K personally. I haven't played Colors but Generations is a fine game. (And I prefer Modern Sonic in that one, Classic Sonic and the level designs for his levels feel weird.)

Though I'd like to add that the spin offs are good for the most part. I thoroughly enjoyed the Rush games on the DS, and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is one of the best kart racers I ever played.

As for Sonic in general. Tell you the truth I'm not fan of the blue hedgehog or the universe he's in. The characters and settings are extremely unappealing to me. With the exception of Eggman, Knuckles and Metal Sonic, I pretty much hate every character. (I liked Sonic in generations though.) Though despite that, me and Sonic go way back, I guess.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I'm not much of a sonic fan. *clearsthroatmarioclearsthroat* Very first Sonic game I played and owned were two versions of Sonic The Hedgehog 2. The Mega Drive/Genesis version being the first Sonic game I played, and the Sega Game Gear version being the first Sonic game I owned as a child. I had the Game Gear before Gameboy with Gameboy Camera. Other than two versions of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I'm going to list the games...

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic 3D Blast (Sonic Mega Collection)
Sonic Spinball (Sonic Mega Collection)
Sonic R (Sonic Gems Collection)
Sonic Fighters (Sonic Gems Collection)
Sonic CD (Sonic Gems Collection, and Steam)
Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Steam)
Sonic Gamegear Collection (SADX and SGems)
Sonic Adventure 2 (Gamecube, and Steam)
Sonic Heroes (Gamecube)
Sonic Advance 1 and 2
Sonic Battle
Shadow the Hedgehog (Playstation 2)
Sonic Unleashed (Nintendo Wii)
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations (Steam)

Though, my favorite 2D Sonic game has to be Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, and for 3D, I'm going to say Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

Wow, that's quite the collection of games you've played/owned. Nice job n_n
I haven't played as much as you, I've probably played about 1/3 of what you have.

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
Years
I really love the Sonic Games before the ones on gamecube (which I also love).

Afterwords... in my opinion, the games after the ones on gamecube just didn't "hold as much water" as the other classic Sonic games. It's like, they tried to experiment with different stuff when it comes to Sonic, but honestly? What was wrong with just sticking with tradition, while adding a few twists and turns here and there?

Well, eh, that's just how I feel. I mean, don't get me wrong, some of those games are fun, like, Sonic and the Black Knight was okay, but... it's just not my personal favourite.

My personal favourite was Sonic Adventure 2.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
As stated in a different topic, my favorite Sonic game is CD, as I feel it excelled everywhere aesthetically, including the cutscene animation and art design. Heck, just watching the dancing flowers at the tail end of the Good Ending (where "You're too cool" is display) gets me with those two chords it plays. I'm really grateful Christian "Taxman" Whitehead was able to bring that back to us in such a definitive way (if only he could've gotten R2 back in there, though).

That game alone, along with Sonic the Hedgehog are why I really identify with Classic Sonic more than any other version. Or even other variations of CS (I think the iteration in 3K is weird, for example, though the late Sonic Jam version is cool, too). I guess I just prefer the Felix/Mickey design the early final versions of Sonic had. More on this in a bit.

I feel like Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic CD and Sonic Colors are the games that best represent the ideal Sonic world to me. They seem to be more whimsical than every other game. It's like they attempt surrealism in a serious way, as opposed to attempting realism in a somewhat relaxed fashion like Adventure or Unleashed. I should really try more of the Game Gear/Master System games, but I know I'd like to add Jungle Zone from 8 bit StH as one of the ideal locales. To be fair, I think Sonic Heroes had a good idea with Grand Metropolis and Frog Forest settings. Seaside Hill was too much of a clone for me to care about it.

One game I played for the first time very recently was SegaSonic the Hedgehog in an arcade. The art direction for that game is spectacular, save for the ending mugshots which are really off model for some reason. It's got a very western cartoon aesthetic, my sister pointing out that it reminded her of Animaniacs/Looney Tunes or something, and I agree that several animations did have a western fluidity that I could really appreciate, and it compliments the whole Felix/Mickey design extremely well. In fact, playing that game only made me lament that they changed Sonic's design overall. :( Not to mention I feel that Felix-Sonic was able to show a lot more variety of emotions in his eyes. I guess it's the cartoonist in me.

And having said that, I would've loved more of a Sonic cartoon that looked like Man of the Year. Barring that, the OVA actually becoming a series would've been fine and dandy, too. The former for the cartooniness and fitting Warner Bros like style, the latter because it fit with the game world and captured that Miyazaki like environmental surrealism so well (just like Sonic CD).

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
That game alone, along with Sonic the Hedgehog are why I really identify with Classic Sonic more than any other version. Or even other variations of CS (I think the iteration in 3K is weird, for example, though the late Sonic Jam version is cool, too). I guess I just prefer the Felix/Mickey design the early final versions of Sonic had. More on this in a bit.
Yeah, not a fan of the Sonic 3 look. The look is consistent between 1,2, and CD. Then 3 & 3K went in a different direction.

I think I may even like the modern Sonic over the S3K look

Back