• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Anime is not for kids."

Bay

Years
Pretty much getting tired of the "anime is not for kids" and the "anime is for kids" argument. Like cartoons, it depends on the series and the content. Now these days American cartoons are getting more edgier, and I have seen a few of those.

It seems the problem is that with those that don't know too much anime, they think it's either only geared the adults or the children. Yes, there are ones rated teenagers, but I don't think my friends who aren't into anime would know that. Most of the anime I watch are actually middle ground or teenaged rated, I guess. The shows would have violence, language, and such, but nothing too intense, so to me a pre-teen can be able to watch a teenage rated one if occupied with someone older or if they're mature enough to handle the content and know what they're getting into. In fact, I think most of them are rated that.

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
Years
I can understand how ignorant people get, but lately the ignorance seemed to have gone away. My mother watches anime...not on her own,though, only if I'm watching it. Earlier today, she continued to watch Darker Than Black, asking questions to grasp what was going on. It was amusing to see her so into it. Bloody gore and all. Last week, she watched the Naruto movie. She watches Case Closed. She watches InuYasha. I guess what I'm trying to say is...SIT YOUR PARENTS DOWN AND MAKE THEM LOVE IT!!!! Not really, but I guess anyone can have a change of heart when they realize the...genius...of anime.
I'm pretty sure I didn't make any points at all...

Yingxue

Since October 2003
Years
Just because someone thinks anime is "just for kids" or "just for adults" doesn't mean they're stupid. They just don't know a lot about Japanese animation. If I start talking to my Grandpa about Fruits Basket. There would be a long pause, then he would be like, "....wut?"

But most of the manga (comics) I've seen are for teenagers and adults, rather than kids. Like Fruits Basket, Vampire Slayer, Metroid, Bleach, ect...

That's probably because a lot of the Japanese kid franchises weren't ever really brought to America, manga or not. I'd like to see Doraemon brought over here, :3

Vernikova

Banned
Years

A lot of Japanese kid franchises haven't been brought over to America? Many have been aired on channels that most people in America can watch and have had store releases. Some are listed below:

Pokémon
Digimon
Tokyo Mew Mew
Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Fruits Basket
Ruroni Kenshin
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Bo^7
CardCaptor Sakura
Megaman
Ponyo
Dragon Ball Z
Sailor Moon
Rave Master
Beyblade
Bakugan
Zoids
Hunter x Hunter

Last edited:

Yingxue

Since October 2003
Years
A lot of Japanese kid franchises haven't been brought over to America? Most have been aired on channels that most people in America can watch and have had store releases. Some are listed below:

Pokémon
Digimon
Tokyo Mew Mew
Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Fruits Basket
Ruroni Kenshin
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Bo^7
CardCaptor Sakura
Megaman
Ponyo
Dragon Ball Z
Sailor Moon
Rave Master
Beyblade
Bakugan
Zoids
Hunter x Hunter

Sure, I'll accept that those were licensed. I stand corrected, but the amount of kids' properties compared to properties for older kids/ adults is a much, much smaller fraction.
Why is that? Do people feel like kids aren't a very good market?

On another topic...

But it really doesn't help that you have a bunch of weeaboo animu nerds who complain about how <insert dub company here> 'ruined' a 'masterpiece' because they 'Americanised' it too much. It's a freakin' cartoon for little kids, not some kind of mozart pinnacle of animation.

Sorry if I don't make much sense. I need some sleep, and I hope my incoherent rambling makes at least a teeny bit of sense.

Bay

Years
Sure, I'll accept that those were licensed. I stand corrected, but the amount of kids' properties compared to properties for older kids/ adults is a much, much smaller fraction.
Why is that? Do people feel like kids aren't a very good market?
Most likely, yeah. You know, something interesting. Back when I was in high school, my computer animations teacher told the students how anime is actually before not meant for kids. All the violence and such put in there comes from the upset the Japanese have over WWII. So yeah, there are a lot of anime for kids, but most of the anime shows are marketed towards the older audience due to the content.

On another topic...

But it really doesn't help that you have a bunch of weeaboo animu nerds who complain about how <insert dub company here> 'ruined' a 'masterpiece' because they 'Americanised' it too much. It's a freakin' cartoon for little kids, not some kind of mozart pinnacle of animation.
Yeah, I hate that too. Even though I don't know too much about 4Kids, am getting tired of the complaints and such. The anime and cartoon shows I watched that were created by 4kids that I watched weren't so bad. A few flaws, yeah, but nothing to be worked up too much.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Well, most anime have some kind of erotica in it. . That's probably the reason a lot of people don't think it's for children.

Proof?​

[agelimit]ages 16 and over
Spoiler:
[/agelimit]​

Amulet Dream

has the Alice of Running Away.
Years
I've never actually gotten that question before (I'm still a kid though, that's my excuse) but sometimes people ask me, why do you like anime? I always tell them either: 'I like anime because I like anime, got a problem with that?' or 'at least I don't have to listen to a yellow sponge with a totally unsuitable voice'.

Anime is not for kids, nor is it for teenagers and above. It's for all age groups, or I would be in soo much trouble, I would not be alive.

Though, the art is usually more sophisticated. I think maybe some kid's animes should be advertised more, the word 'anime' is associated with 'blood' or 'teens' more than 'happy' and 'kids'.

...Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Years
Now, who in the world said that?
It definitely is!
Well, some of them aren't
It's kind of a another form of cartoon in a way, so I don't see why it isn't...^^;

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
This sounds like something (...) Jack Thompson would say......
ANIME SOMETIMES CONTAINS VIOLENCE, AND THUS IT IS AT FAULT IF YOUR CHILDREN SMITE SOMEONE. WE MUST ELIMINATE ALL THINGS THAT ALLUDE TO VIOLENCE, BECAUSE CORRELATION IS CAUSATION AND I AM JACK THOMPSON. ALSO, MARIO CAUSES CANCER.

Heh heh. I said smite. Heh heh.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
People have a ton of misconceptions about anime.

I agree that it is a medium, and not a genre. This is why I'm so sick of people thinking they can bash anime altogether. Saying "I hate anime!" is like saying "I hate movies!" but that's unrelated to this topic.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of anime/manga is made for kids. A lot of anime fans like to deny this. They think that Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and the like were made for teenagers. In reality they are made for little boys. (although, since I love One Piece so much and am way out of the demographic it's aimed towards I believe that these are oftentimes made to be enjoyed by all.)

No matter how much fanservice, blood, and cussing there are in these Shounen series, they are still aimed towards kids.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
People have a ton of misconceptions about anime.

I agree that it is a medium, and not a genre. This is why I'm so sick of people thinking they can bash anime altogether. Saying "I hate anime!" is like saying "I hate movies!" but that's unrelated to this topic.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of anime/manga is made for kids. A lot of anime fans like to deny this. They think that Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and the like were made for teenagers. In reality they are made for little boys. (although, since I love One Piece so much and am way out of the demographic it's aimed towards I believe that these are oftentimes made to be enjoyed by all.)

No matter how much fanservice, blood, and cussing there are in these Shounen series, they are still aimed towards kids.

If the shows above are indeed supposed to be for little boys, then please explain why shows like Barney, Sesame Street, Wishbone, Clifford, and, heck, even some of the other Saturday Morning Cartoons meant for little kids have absolutely nothing of this nature in them?!

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
If the shows above are indeed supposed to be for little boys, then please explain why shows like Barney, Sesame Street, Wishbone, Clifford, and, heck, even some of the other Saturday Morning Cartoons meant for little kids have absolutely nothing of this nature in them?!

Because the Japanese are more lenient with what their little boys can watch.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Those are shows made for the young children demographic. Your 8-14 demographic (still kids; this is the demographic the poster was referring to) will not be watching Barney, I guarantee it. They will be watching shows like Dragonball Z (or whatever equivalent airs these days).

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
A lot of anime has discreet sexual content and references and sust about all of it features extra busty women. Its all coming from the background of the creators though. Geeky men.

Back