• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Newton [OU RMT]

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
TEAM NEWTON!

.Introduction .

Right so, I've noticed that I haven't ever faced any gravity-based teams on PO/Shoddy on the fact that its a great thing. I've quickly created one and it went bam on playtesting; made some tweaking and it went out pretty good. And so, without further ado, please welcome: Team Newton!

.The Team at First Sight! .

205.png
121.png
385.png
242.png
477.png
473.png

I've chosen this team to further abuse Gravity; even outside of Gravity this team can also pwnzors.

.The Team in Details! .
NOTE: Changes will be Red, like this! :D
forretress.png

Forretress (M) @Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/100 ATK/92 DEF/64 SpD
Nature: Impish (+DEF, -SpA)
Moves: Gravity, Spikes, Earthquake, Gyro Ball

Forretress is the lead of the team, obviously. Generally, what Forry does for this team is to set-up Spikes; then Gravity and switch to either Porygon-Z, Jirachi, or Mamoswine. Earthquake for coverage (since in Gravity, no-one is immune to E-quake), and Gyro Ball for STAB.

starmie.png

Starmie @Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/156 DEF/216 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -ATK)
Moves: Hydro Pump, Thunder, Recover, Blizzard

Don't mess with this star or you'll be sorry. Hydro Pump and Thunder gets 100% accuracy in Gravity. This star'll mess if your team is unprepared. Never mess with the star.

jirachi.png

Jirachi @Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 ATK/4 DEF/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Moves: Gravity, Iron Head, ThunderPunch/Ice Punch/Fire Punch, DynamicPunch

Seriously, Jirachi has been a great asset to this team. With Dynamic Punch to confuse enemies (85+ accuracy when in Gravity), and Iron Head for flinch hax. I change between the elemental punches from time to time but I want to go for a consistent one. Thoughts?

blissey.png

Blissey (F) @Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP/252 DEF/100 Spe/132 SpA
Moves: Fire Blast, Gravity, Softboiled, Toxic

Yes, the greatest special wall of the metagame is used in this team. Under gravity, Fire Blast has 100% accuracy which is diminishing especially for common steel types. Toxic&Softboiled is used for stalling.

dusknoir.png

Dusknoir (F) @Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
Moves: Will-O-Wisp, DynamicPunch, Gravity, Pain Split

Oh aragornbird thank you so much for this set! Dusknoir pretty much cripples the opposing team. She can switch in common Fighting Types, like Anti-Lead Machamp; Spore Puncher Breloom; Close Combat Infernape and more, then either use Gravity and DynamicPunch or Will-O-Wisp. Since almost everyone thinks that Dusknoir uses Will-O-Wisp first, I pretty much have an advantage. If they switch to Heatran while I set up Gravity, they're dead. Pain Split for longevity.

mamoswine.png

Mamoswine (F) @Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 ATK/4 DEF/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Moves: Earthquake, Ice Shard, Stone Edge, Superpower

My favorite Pokémon since I discovered her(or him). Common switch-ins to Mamo rely on their ground-resist; which gravity will fix. Ice Fang was used over Superpower before, but I decided to change it.

Old Members:

dpiconani251.gif
dpiconani474.gif

.Final Thoughts .

Thanks for reading this. I need help on the EVs, though so please focus on that. :)
Credits to Pokemon Elite 2000 and Arkeis for the sprites. Thanks to all the suggestions, too!

Last edited:

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
like it - but the first flaw I saw was Mamoswine - get rid of either Ice shard or Ice fang - you shouldn't have 2 of the same move type without a very good reason (mixed attacke + wall breaker)

You're team in close detail:

Foretress

brilliant, perhaps t-spikes? (idea, nothing more) - also, BEWARE SPECIAL ATTACKERS!!! - Foretress, without full SA EV's, will die to any special attack, let alone a fire-type... make sure you can predict special attacks when he's out

Celebi

If it's a cleric, Wish will be a much better choice over Recover, Starmie may be a good idea, however, if you use starmie, perhaps this set?

Rapid Spin
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt/Thunder
Recover/Ice Beam

This set may work, but remember, watch out for Electric types - you can't stop them with this set (you can stop grass-tyoes, and they are slower in most cases)

Jirachi

not much to say here, i would use Zen Headbutt with this set, over Dynamicpunch (STAB + better accuracy) or another typed punch - and perhaps U-tun? that way you can avoid pesky Ground or fire-types

Blissey

The only thing I can say here is Focus Blast or Psychic over Fire Blast... - Fighting type has better coverage, and Psychic can counter Blisseys Counters... also, if you want to use starmie, perhaps have Blissy know Heal bell and Wish? (making blissey the cleric, not Starmie) - but once again, i'm just bouncing ideas...

Porygon-Z

to be honest, I haven't seen Porygon-Z in battles that often, so i'm not sure what to say here...

Mamoswine

First of all, i'd say Oblivious is a better option in this scenario, as none of your pokemon have Hail as an Ability

as for Ice fang/shard... perhaps substitute? or gravity even... adding to your strategy.

the only other thing is if you want, you can use snow cloak and teach Mamoswine Hail, the only problem is that you will have to be careful when switching out

that's my review! hope it helps - if you need more help, just VM me

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
like it - but the first flaw I saw was Mamoswine - get rid of either Ice shard or Ice fang - you shouldn't have 2 of the same move type without a very good reason (mixed attacke + wall breaker)
Yeah, but Mamo was more designed to revenge kill.
You're team in close detail:

Foretress

brilliant, perhaps t-spikes? (idea, nothing more) - also, BEWARE SPECIAL ATTACKERS!!! - Foretress, without full SA EV's, will die to any special attack, let alone a fire-type... make sure you can predict special attacks when he's out

Forry usually just appears at the beginning. Once Spikes/Gravity is up, I usually switch immediately.

Celebi

If it's a cleric, Wish (lawl, Celebi can't learn Wish silly) will be a much better choice over Recover, Starmie may be a good idea, however, if you use starmie, perhaps this set?

Rapid Spin
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt/Thunder
Recover/Ice Beam

This set may work, but remember, watch out for Electric types - you can't stop them with this set (you can stop grass-tyoes, and they are slower in most cases)
I'll try that.

Jirachi

not much to say here, i would use Zen Headbutt with this set, over Dynamicpunch (STAB + better accuracy) or another typed punch - and perhaps U-tun? that way you can avoid pesky Ground or fire-types
Ehh, DynamicPunch works wonders in this team. This is a gravity-based team after all, and any Pokémon except for Ghosts will be afraid of switching in.

Blissey

The only thing I can say here is Focus Blast or Psychic over Fire Blast... - Fighting type has better coverage, and Psychic can counter Blisseys Counters... also, if you want to use starmie, perhaps have Blissy know Heal bell and Wish? (making blissey the cleric, not Starmie) - but once again, i'm just bouncing ideas...
I will not make my Blissey a cleric. I'll try Focus last/Psychic though.

Porygon-Z

to be honest, I haven't seen Porygon-Z in battles that often, so i'm not sure what to say here...
Porygon-Z is teh pwnzors.

Mamoswine

First of all, i'd say Oblivious is a better option in this scenario, as none of your pokemon have Hail as an Ability

as for Ice fang/shard... perhaps substitute? or gravity even... adding to your strategy.

the only other thing is if you want, you can use snow cloak and teach Mamoswine Hail, the only problem is that you will have to be careful when switching out
Snow Cloak was actually a test ability. But seeing no team who uses hail, I'm going to change it to Oblivious. Substitute/Gravity will not really help me here, as Blissey/Forry gets the job done better.
that's my review! hope it helps - if you need more help, just VM me
Yeah, replies in bold. Thanks for the review!

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
I immediately noticed that you're weak to physical-based MixApe.

-Forretress is KOed by Overheat/Fire Blast (Whichever one the MixApe has, most likely Overheat, but you never know)
-Celebi takes a ton of damage from U-Turn
-Jirachi takes a lot of damage from Overheat/Fire Blast if it doesn't die. Close Combat also does a lot of damage.
-Blissey is KOed by Close Combat
- Porygon-Z is also KOed by Close Combat
-Mamoswine is KOed by Close Combat

If you run into a MixApe when using this team, it'd be done for. I'd suggest getting a counter to it, if you can.

I'll look for more problems and post them here if I see some.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I don't think Psychic'll do anything; coverage is horrible and the Fighting-types it's meant to hit outspeed and OHKO Blissey anyway, so yeah. :|

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I immediately noticed that you're weak to physical-based MixApe.

-Forretress is KOed by Overheat/Fire Blast (Whichever one the MixApe has, most likely Overheat, but you never know)
-Celebi takes a ton of damage from U-Turn
-Jirachi takes a lot of damage from Overheat/Fire Blast if it doesn't die. Close Combat also does a lot of damage.
-Blissey is KOed by Close Combat
- Porygon-Z is also KOed by Close Combat
-Mamoswine is KOed by Close Combat

If you run into a MixApe when using this team, it'd be done for. I'd suggest getting a counter to it, if you can.

I'll look for more problems and post them here if I see some.
That was why I was thinking of removing Celebi.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Right so after a few playtesting, Starmie became a BOMB! It swept half of my opponent's team with Hydro Pump and Thunder without any EV investments in SpA, and outside of Gravity too! :D

So Celebi is taken out and replaced my Starmie.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Gravity-based teams requires good prediction. And thanks! I still need help whether my EV spreads are OK or not, though.

EDIT: After thinking about it for a while (and reading logs while I'm at it), I decided to change Ice Fang to Superpower on Mamoswine. Stone Edge pretty much cripples Dragonite, and any other Flying-Types (except for Skarmory).

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I'd advise using Wish >> Softboiled on Blissey, which will aid Mamoswine with the Life Orb recoil and making your team last longer. Blissey also wants 252 Def / 176 SpD / 80 SpA so you can dish out hits better, especially against opposing Mamoswine and other steels.

This team also lacks Stealth Rock, which is needed on every team. Use it on Forry >> Spikes/Earthquake since it aids those better.

If you choose to leave Spikes on Forry, you will need a spin blocker. I don't really see Jirachi doing much, so in this rare case, Dusknoir should be there instead.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Gravity
- DynamicPunch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split/Shadow Sneak

I'd opt for Shadow Sneak, since Blissey should be using Wish to support the rest of the team.

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
alternative, do remember that this team uses gravity, which means that Spikes will work better than SR, as everything will get hit...

also, no probs mate! :) - i'm not the worlds best battler or anything (i'm better at Double Battle's) so I was just giving ideas, not all of it may work though...

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Starmie's set isn't offensive enough for a Gravity team. You don't need Rapid Spin as none of your Pokemon are Stealth Rock weak.

Go with the following

Starmie @Life Orb
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Hydro Pump
-Thunder
-Blizzard
-Recover

Porygon-Z is pretty crappy and gives you a 3x Fighting weakness which means a Heracross can rape your entire team with only Megahorn and Close Combat.

Replace Porygon with Dusknoir:

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Impish nature

-Will-O-Wisp
-Gravity
-Earthquake/Dynamicpunch
-Pain Split

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'd advise using Wish >> Softboiled on Blissey, which will aid Mamoswine with the Life Orb recoil and making your team last longer. Blissey also wants 252 Def / 176 SpD / 80 SpA so you can dish out hits better, especially against opposing Mamoswine and other steels.

This team also lacks Stealth Rock, which is needed on every team. Use it on Forry >> Spikes/Earthquake since it aids those better.

If you choose to leave Spikes on Forry, you will need a spin blocker. I don't really see Jirachi doing much, so in this rare case, Dusknoir should be there instead.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Gravity
- DynamicPunch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split/Shadow Sneak

I'd opt for Shadow Sneak, since Blissey should be using Wish to support the rest of the team.
Stealth Rock is pretty much useless on this team. :/

Starmie's set isn't offensive enough for a Gravity team. You don't need Rapid Spin as none of your Pokemon are Stealth Rock weak.

Go with the following

Starmie @Life Orb
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Hydro Pump
-Thunder
-Blizzard
-Recover

Porygon-Z is pretty crappy and gives you a 3x Fighting weakness which means a Heracross can rape your entire team with only Megahorn and Close Combat.

Replace Porygon with Dusknoir:

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Impish nature

-Will-O-Wisp
-Gravity
-Earthquake/Dynamicpunch
-Pain Split

Kewl. I was actually thinking of changing of Porygon-Z 'cause its very frail. Thanks for the Starmie set, I'll be sure to try that.

It's Zeffy, btw. Thanks, I'm going to watch it later.

EDIT: I did a playtest with the suggestions you guys gave. I lost on the first one 'cause Blissey has Focus Blast over Fire Blast. >_> Starmie did kinda well, though. Soo, expect the team to be changed. ^_^

Last edited:
Back