• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon REALLY Still Popular Among Younger Audiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Yes, it is. I have a young brother (8) and he watches Pokemon whenever he can! Even tho we don't have tv channel airing them and my complete database is only in English/Japanese!
I'm sure Pokemon haven't lost anything from their power, the problem is in the abundance of other anime concerning battles like bakugan and beyblade, even Naruto... Pokemon featured much more in the anime and still is popular among kids.
The thing is we have always had these competing related animes rivaling Pokemon. Digimon from 1999 , Beyblade 2000, Bakugan 2007 all competing franchises and franchises that are still competing yet they still haven't eclipsed the popularity of Pokemon as a whole. So I don't really see that as an issue as too why kids would not like it presently.

With Pokemon being Nintendo's 2nd biggest franchise, even above The Legend of Zelda, I doubt the majority of kids don't know what Pokemon is. The only reason people suspect Pokemon is "fading" is because it was a fad years ago and nearly everyone was into Pokemon for a while. But the most important thing people need to look at is the sales of the main series games. Gen 5 broke sales records, which is a good sign that the games are still popular, with B2W2 selling also selling well. (And they've yet to be released internationally)

As far as toys go, there was a good long time that the Walmart where I live didn't carry any Pokemon toys. But they started again when Gen 5 started. I think Pokemon is still very popular, it just isn't a fad anymore.
The toys from what I see at my store are coming and going great, so I have nothing to say that production is going down in merchandise either.

My theory on the whole thing is the stagnation of the anime that seems to cast a shadow on the Anime for a large portion of the fanbase. Fans keep getting sick of seeing the same stuff over and over with little to no progression throughout the years. Kids still like it but the craz is not what it used too as its not the new thing out. There can also be the standpoint that they don't market the show as much as they do. So if there is less promotions on Cartoon Network or whatever networks they are broadcasted on its hard to get the word out on the show.

Now too answer the topic itself. I don't think Pokemon at any portion of the franchise is geared toward a certain audience. They try and appeal to anyone and everyone they can. For me it is the same as the rating on the game which is E for Everyone and I truly belief that across the board. I believe that I as a 22 year old can find just as much enjoyment as a 12 year old. Or my parents find enjoyment just as much as me. I still find the anime to be popular as I believe Movie 14 was the first movie since either Power of One or Spell of Unown to be shown in theaters so for me the franchise is either trying harder to push the show out there for audiences or the interest is heighten as of late. As for the shown determining if people play the games I highly doubt they have much bearing on if people play the games. I've played the games before the anime so for me kind of the other way around.

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2017
My opinion is, it's more popular around teens/adults who grew up with it and had Pokemon in their childhood.
I can agree to that, but I also think that kids today find it (the games) popular is because it was popular. It's kind of a perception thing. The genre is so spread out and well known that it brings with it; it's own hype. So because older kids/adults even are over-joyed about a new game younger kids see that and automatically sense that it's gonna be good and therefore brings interest from the younger generation.

It's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say but I'm giving it a shot.

KonohaSkye

Gamer 4 Life
Years
I agree with this, I hardly see any kids watch it anymore.

I think the most people I still see watching the anime today are those who grew up in the era when Pokemon was still a fad. I was one of those people.

This!

I noticed more kids are playing Halo and CoD and watching those reality shows while people in their teens and 20s are watching kids shows and playing more kid style games. It is pretty interesting. As long as people still support it that is all that matters

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
Pokemon was so popular back in the day it was crazy, but nowadays like some others have said it seems that CoD/Battlefield and stuff like that are the "trend" now among kids. Also I agree that it seems its the older guys who were into Pokemon when the show first started airing (like me) that are either continuing to watch it/play the games or who are getting back into Pokemon by playing the new games/watching the new series (like me again).

Pokemon just doesn't seem to have any real significance with the younger crowd nowadays, I'm sure kids know what Pokemon is but most of them just dont seem to care that much.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
It seems to be that they are evolving Pokemon to maintain its current base and trying to lure a younger base but problem is the younger base is equipped to handle the complexities they the Pokeverse.

The younger generation is into Spongebob. Tho its been on almost same time as Pokemon they keep it dumbed for the under 10 crowd.

They are doin the same for TMNT (Ninja Turtles for those who dk). Early stuff was kid great, 2000s were awesome for current gen. Now its gonna be with kid gloves. Its all goin down hill. :\

Us and Them

The Jack of All Trades
Years
I really don't think it's nearly as popular with the kids now as it was when it first launched. If anything, more teenagers and adults are watching it than kids are. I think some changes in the anime need to take place, as Pokemon's audience is gradually growing up, and the anime may need to be a bit more mature to keep fans watching.

Ducklighter

Throw caution to the wind.
Years
I honestly don't think it's AS popular as it were when I was a kid, which is understandable. The audience, like in most shows grew with the show and have stuck by it and although the anime still get new viewers, it wasn't nearly as popular as before. My nephews who are between the ages 5 and 13 really don't care much for Pokemon but are really obsessed with the game. I think it's a lot more popular in gaming than anything else.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I think the Pokemon anime is still pretty big in Japan, but not at all in America. Given how they converted to a fan dub in like 2006 and how they're airing episodes in a bad timeslot, they don't have much chance to be big again. It's all because they HAD to save money, since the anime isn't profitable here anymore. Since such instances have not happened in Japan as of yet, I can only presume that Japanese youngsters are still enjoying the show, even if they are almost old enough to be the children of the children that watched the early episodes fifteen years ago.

It probably is declining overall, but that's not due to Japan. They're still cranking them out. Elsewhere... I think the entire series is losing a lot of steam, and it's unfortunate.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
About a year ago I met a kid about 4 or 5 years old who was playing Pokemon Black. He seemed as interested in the games as I was. Though I'm sure if he watched the anime. So I think the show still gets a young audience, though the number has definitely decreased. Most people who watch it now are teen or my around my age cause it's something that they grew up with.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Considering that at it's peak about 80% (example) of kids / teens in America were all tuning into watch Pokemon when it aired, it's definitely not nearly as big as it was, since that number is probably closer to 30% now. A good number of kids still watch it, but it's not given the same hype anymore. It might also have to do with the fact that it's in between generations right now. The generation of kids that were of age to watch it when it was big - not all of us are the point of having children yet, so we're not able to introduce them to it. While the general public now days is more likely to go "What's Pokemon?", to a lot of people it's just old news. Most of the kids I'm around at all these days, they like Pokemon only because they have older siblings that showed them what it was. It's not as easy to stumble on to on your own anymore, the TV show nor the games.

RedZero

~RedZero~
Years
no i dont think so i tried to get my sis into it when i was a kid but i only think it applies to ny generation 17-20+ maybe :P

Years
Last year I worked as an Au Pair in Italy and one of the children I took care of was totally into Pokemon. He was 9 and a huge fan, watching the anime as often as possible and collecting cards. And it wasn't just him either. His whole class was into the franchise. Often I couldn't get him to come home after school immediately, because they just wanted to trade one last card. Pokemon was his favourite topic in conversations and he made me draw Pokemon for him on a regular basis. I later brought my old Game Boy Color with me and allowed him to play the Yellow edition on it and he loved it. Even his sister who was slightly older than him liked Pokemon, but not as much as him.
Pokemon was still a huge deal at their school, with younger and older fans. Even on the subway and in the boys basketball team there were many children from different schools discussing it.

So, I wouldn't say it's unpopular among kids. It might differ between countries and schools, but there are still younger fans out there. It's likely that we don't even notice if we don't have much contact to younger people.

Trainer Matt

PokéFriend!
Years
Speaking as a teaching assistant in a primary school, I can safely say that Pokémon is still a popular show amongst children under the age of 11. Perhaps not as popular as it was when the show first launched, but it's still doing pretty well. What was more heart-warming however, was their knowledge of what came before their generation, too!

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
I think the pokemon anime really only appealed to our generation. I remember every morning I'd get up early to watch it, but that stopped about six years ago.

Years
I'm sure newer generations will probably like the anime and games as well, but I honestly feel like Pokémon, as a whole, appeals more to people around the age of 18-24 because we were children when the franchise started and we were the "original fans".

I was at my local GameStop on the day Black 2 and White 2 was released, and I was actually surprised at how many older people were purchasing the games. It felt like everyone in line was buying one of the versions (or both, in some cases), all people around the age of 18. I didn't see any younger children in the stores that day.

I'm 19 years old now and I'll tell you this, I was pretty excited to play a new Pokémon game!

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
My cousins, who are younger than me, have lost interest in Pokemon anime and games in general. I think they are disliking the new Pokemon and are not bothered remembering their names. But i am still interested in all aspects related to Pokemon ever since the start of the franchise.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I won't lie. I think Pokemon is more big with teens and adults then kids. TBh I think this is true with a lot of animation shows. Students at my college watch MLP FIM ,Pokemon,Yugioh and AT over Jersery Show,16 and Pregnant and Here comes Honey Boo Boo while those teen/adult shows are what there siblings watch Elementary age into middle.

Kinda a strange but the way I see it not a bad thing lol

I think the Pokemon anime is still pretty big in Japan, but not at all in America. Given how they converted to a fan dub in like 2006 and how they're airing episodes in a bad timeslot, they don't have much chance to be big again. It's all because they HAD to save money, since the anime isn't profitable here anymore. Since such instances have not happened in Japan as of yet, I can only presume that Japanese youngsters are still enjoying the show, even if they are almost old enough to be the children of the children that watched the early episodes fifteen years ago.

It probably is declining overall, but that's not due to Japan. They're still cranking them out. Elsewhere... I think the entire series is losing a lot of steam, and it's unfortunate.

I see or hear no diffrence in the two dubs tbh in fact msot enjoy the prior to the past but whatever.

What is wrong with the timeslot? I keep hearing people angry about the *:30 am timeslot. I'm pretty sure Kids Wb had it at that timeslot for a few seasons if I'm not mistaking. (At least on East Coast but CN has a another feed 3 hours in the future)

Last edited:
Years
A little note. Just because something can be enjoyed by everyone does not make it "not for kids". The Pokemon games are for kids, and that's a fact.

-----

For everything else, you have to understand that this is a Japanese show. Even if kids in other countries don't like Pokemon as much as teenagers or young adults, doesn't mean they will change their target age range for you. If it's doing well enough in Japan, their target audience, there is no reason to change it.
Pokemon was CRAZY big a while ago, and even if it doesn't reach that super high level again, doesn't mean it's not doing well. It's doing more way more than well and will continue as what it's mean to be, a game/anime/manga series for children, that can also be enjoyed by adults.

Yep, it's still has a decent fanbase iin Japan (the country that it actually comes from). There are still commercials and merchandise in the anime that still exist (stuff that I really wish would make it to america).

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2014
I think the reason Pokemon is not as popular as it used be is because, when it first came out it was a brand new phenomena and it took the US by storm because of how new, different, and innovative it was. Kids would say "Have you played that new Pokemon game or seen that new show or movie." But now a days it isn't this new craze and there isn't a gigantic buzz around such a fun new franchise, it's been around for awhile and has lost that. Although it has still remained popular as an iconic franchise among children and now teenagers and young adults .

The movies and the anime, I think, have remained around the same quality since they first aired. We were young when we first watched it and as the show remained focused towards young audiences, we started to dislike the quality of it as we grew and matured. Most people have a biased like towards the first episodes because they were young when they watched them and as they became older the newer ones seemed more cheesy than the originals, when it was actually just us growing and maturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back