• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Battle System Tweaks

Would you change the battle system?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pixy

Cruel?
Years
Simple, if you could change the battle system in any way, shape or form, how would you change it? What you add? Would you make it more mandatory or let the casuals push it to the side?

As for me, I wouldn't touch it. I think the battle system is perfect as it is and I really don't care for changes. /Ignorance is bliss

So, would you change the battle system and how would you do it?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
The only changes that I would like to see have more to do with the amount of moves/pokémon of certain types and the strength/accuracy/secondary effects of some moves. But I wouldn't actually want to change any of the game's mechanics. The classic rock-paper-scissors gameplay works great in my opinion and we already have priority moves, status inflictors, stat boosters, entry hazards, et al. What else do we need? Anything new additions would complicate the system beyond what I'm comfortable with.

A Pixy

Cruel?
Years
Actually, I want more than 4 moves. How about six? Two attack moves, two assist moves and two wild cards you can put either in. That would be nice. And I just want more attacks in general. That would be nice. *3*

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Putting in more than four moves is, IMO, a horrible idea. Completely gets rid of the strategy that us competitive battlers put into our Pokémon.

Maybe varying degrees of paralysis and burning would be nice, but nothing else.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Actually, I want more than 4 moves. How about six? Two attack moves, two assist moves and two wild cards you can put either in. That would be nice. And I just want more attacks in general. That would be nice. *3*

Ah, I didn't think of that. Though I can't see Game Freak doing that. It would seriously screw up the metagame because a lot of sets that previously had to choose between two moves would suddenly be able to have both options (plus one more), making pretty much everything a lot harder to counter. I actually like the limit of four because without it, the game would become incredibly more offensively-based.

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
Years
From what I heard from serebii, the pokemon will be in constant motion and not static like the last games. This is kinda interesting because they are getting so much closer to a realtime battle kinda like in the anime. Thats just me!!

Tyler

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 13, 2021
In my opinion, I am not so sure if it should be altered or not.
Of course there can be improvements, but I just don't know if a change would be a good thing or a bad thing.
I'll just wait and see what they do.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
There isnt anything wrong with it. They can spice it up visually. If they do anything more than visuals they could lose some of their fanbase.

Jerme

stupid
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
-pokemon evolve in mid-battle
-trainers get exp from beating your pokemon (don't exaclt know how it would perfectly work)
-trainer pokemon have EVS (i used an AR code to catch one, it had 0 EVS)
-game won't say what pokemon trainer is sending out but you can still switch (unlike "set" option)
-smarter trainer pokemon

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
Years
Putting in more than four moves is, IMO, a horrible idea. Completely gets rid of the strategy that us competitive battlers put into our Pokémon.

Maybe varying degrees of paralysis and burning would be nice, but nothing else.
^this is my thought about this. It is already balanced with four moves, and the strategy that comes with it is part of what makes the game so awesome. Maybe something like severe burn should be added. It would act the same as badly poisoned

-pokemon evolve in mid-battle no
-trainers get exp from beating your pokemon (don't exaclt know how it would perfectly work) it would be weird
-trainer pokemon have EVS (i used an AR code to catch one, it had 0 EVS) would that effect much?
-game won't say what pokemon trainer is sending out but you can still switch (unlike "set" option) pretty cool idea
-smarter trainer pokemon I've been dying for this to happen!

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years

I don't like this idea much, for reason's already posted, what I would like to see though, is that pokemon can relearn any move it's forgotten for completely free, like it's stored in the poke's memory, and you can relearn it any time you like.

I also think the battle system should be more like super smash bros. or something. where it's not turn based and you can actually move around. but alas, that will not happen. oh well, maybe the gen after that.

Jerme

stupid
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
I don't like this idea much, for reason's already posted, what I would like to see though, is that pokemon can relearn any move it's forgotten for completely free, like it's stored in the poke's memory, and you can relearn it any time you like.

I also think the battle system should be more like super smash bros. or something. where it's not turn based and you can actually move around. but alas, that will not happen. oh well, maybe the gen after that.

i always thought a new gen game should be like that. but no, and so many fans would be like "omg pokemonz dead day ruined battle". so i think that should be a different game.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
Years
i always thought a new gen game should be like that. but no, and so many fans would be like "omg pokemonz dead day ruined battle". so i think that should be a different game.

No, what it is is Turned-based combat is an entire genre of fighting games. So taking away this would change pokemon games completely. I'm up for changes, but I want my pokemon games to be pokemon games. There's a game coming out for the wii like this, called PokePark, or something like that. Just buy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back