• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Played through the whole things (Walking through walls, lol).

All I can say is:

NOSTALGIA

hit me so hard.

All the songs are in there and work like a charm!! C:
Well done with this.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Pokémon FireRed GB Player Update!

I'm happy to release an update to this throwback patch today. Head back to the first post for your goodies!

Changelog:

• The GB Player is now a key item! Grab it on your way out of your house in Pallet Town. It backpack image and base description are from HG/SS. Huge thanks to Jambo51 for the Item-Script-Redirect ASM codes.
  • To coincide with the new item, GB Player props have been removed from all Pokémon Centers in the game.
  • A script error on Four Island that occurred to anyone who chose Squirtle as their starter has been fixed.
  • Also: various code cleanup to remove unused modifications in the game.
This new patch comes with a warning. Just in case you don't catch it in the first post, I'll reiterate it here: DO NOT REGISTER THE GB PLAYER ITEM TO SELECT AND USE IT FROM THERE. Happy times will not be had by those who do so.

Enjoy!

i want gb sounds in firered for red and blue and yellow.

I...well...uhh...what?
Spoiler:

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
1636-PokemonFireRedUSquirrels.png

I found this little error here.

Whoops. I just realized I did a bit TOO much cleanup. I also managed to screw up the Trainer Facing Fix. Another update will be out later today to fix it!

EDIT: Urgent update uploaded on the front post.

Changelog:

• Fixed improper implementation of Trainer Facing Fix.
  • Updated custom fossil Super Nerd text box to not interfere with new GB Player function data.
Sorry about the previous errors guys! Notify me if I went and screwed anything else up.

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Will you be doing a patch where the banks are seperate, from what I understand it wouldn't take long and I would really appreciate it :)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Will you be doing a patch where the banks are seperate, from what I understand it wouldn't take long and I would really appreciate it :)

Separate? They are already. I think you mean reversed, like you mentioned in your previous post.

I certainly could do that, but, if I do, I want to do it at a strategic point in development on my hack. Once I start making alternate patches, I'll need to maintain each and every one of them, making sure just the right things are added to each one. With new bonuses and fixes to be added into them in the near future, I don't want to split this thing up until I have something a bit more substantial to show.

Once I've updated enough to where I feel fully content with the hack, I'll certainly start providing alternate patches. And, as of right now, I'll make flipped soundbanks second only to an alternate patch that has JUST the GB Player implemented (no other changes to FireRed).

I just don't want to become overwhelmed with micromanagement by splitting this thing so soon. :)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Sorry for being an idit, but where do you get the gb sounds?
Thanks.

The item is in your room in Pallet Town right at the beginning of the game. You can't miss it.

If you progressed through the game during a previous patch then don't worry, you're probably not the first person to miss it!

EDIT: Good news everyone! I figured out what the proper wave patterns are for the 8-bit tracks! They were located at 0xFF30 in RAM while playing the GameBoy games. I'll have a significant update in the upcoming days.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2013
Awesome idea and execution! IIRC, there was a recent hack that replaced the sprites of FR/LG with those of Red and Blue -- is there any way you'd be able to incorporate those in?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Awesome idea and execution! IIRC, there was a recent hack that replaced the sprites of FR/LG with those of Red and Blue -- is there any way you'd be able to incorporate those in?

Are you referring to captnotatroll's "Pokemon FireRed Super-Extra-Nostalgic Edition?" If so, I currently do not have plans to include it in my hack. However, so long as the two hacks have no overlapping changed data, you can patch one on top of another to get the desired result.

Regardless, I suggest you wait until my next release of this hack. It will mean a HUGE difference music-wise.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
this small little hack is nice to the ears. Wonderful job mate, do you have any plans for this?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
MAJOR SOUND UPDATE GUYS!

Sorry about that, I'm just really excited to upload my version 2.5 update to this Throwback hack. With the enhancements I made to the music, the recreated 8-bit music in this new version will put my previous effort to shame.

Changelog:

• All tunes now use their exact, correct "bass" wave instruments from the 8-bit games. The difference for some tracks is almost immediately noticeable.
  • Tunes that used the 256-sample "drum" noise now have it incorporated into the tracks.
  • Not counting the two aforementioned changes, all 8-bit tunes have been tweaked to more accurately reflect their true original counterparts, some more than others.
  • The game no longer freaks out when registering the GB Player to Select and using it from there. Thanks again to Jambo51 for this fix-up of previous ASM code!
  • The two swapped-in GBA tracks for GSC tunes (Sevii/Johto route music and Legendary Battles) have been reverted to their original state. The latter change is permanent, but the former might change back if I can create (or get my hands on) a higher-quality GBA version of the track. Remember that FireRed/LeafGreen is a remake of RGBY, not GSC.

You'll also see that the update comes in two flavors: Lite and Xtra. The Xtra patch includes all the extra things I've had in this hack up until now. In case you forgot what they were, they are the "extra" features listed in the first post.

The Lite patch, on the other hand, changes just enough of the base ROM to include the second, alternate soundbank with 8-bit tracks and add the GB Player item comfortably. Everything else will be the same as it is in the base game. This makes my hack easier to patch over other FireRed hacks and build off of. If you want a pure FireRed experience with 8-bit music or want to venture into the lands of multi-patching, use the Lite patch!

Just one warning
: I cannot guarantee that save states from a previous version of this hack will work with this new version, as all the tracks have shifted their position.

I hope you all enjoy the new release!

To EdensElite:

Considering the goals of this hack, I have decided not to go through with making an alternate patch to switch which soundbank plays first. I don't want to end up having too many patches to manage at the current time. I am truly sorry if this upsets you.

However, as mentioned before, the switch is an easy one. If you'd like to do it yourself, here is how you do it in a hex editor. If you go to offset 0x880000, you'll notice a collection of ASM code. This code controls soundbank switching. Now look at the eight bytes starting from 0x880028:

hexsoundbankswitch.png

These eight bytes represent the two pointers to the default (GBA) and alternate (8-bit) soundbanks. All you have to do to change their priority is switch the order of them so the 8-bit soundbank is now default. In other words, change the bytes from this:

CC 32 4A 08 00 00 80 08

to this:

00 00 80 08 CC 32 4A 08

and you'll get your desired result.

If you'd like to also switch when the game
says the 8-bit tracks are On or Off, all you need to do is switch the order of the dialogue boxes in the GB Player item's script via a script editor. It's located at 0x7405FF. This change would only be cosmetic, of course.

this small little hack is nice to the ears. Wonderful job mate, do you have any plans for this?

My main goal with this hack was to provide people with an option to listen to a *relatively* faithful 8-bit soundtrack from the original Pokémon games while playing FireRed. I feel that I have now accomplished this goal, especially with the inclusion of the minimalist Lite patch.

Anything bigger I plan to add to my hack will can be found in the Xtra patch in later updates, but for now it will just include what has already been there. I'd like to branch out into other areas of editing to make the game more nostalgic, such as graphics editing. I'll also try to find ways to make the experience more convenient to the player. This includes 251-ing the hack, removing annoyances, or maybe something even bigger!:)

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Thank you for such in-depth knowledge on the area, I really appreciate it :)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thank you for such in-depth knowledge on the area, I really appreciate it :)

No problem, I figured it was the least I could do for not including a patch for it in this release. I hope anyone else who wants to do this catches on to this mini-tutorial!

I am blind so I can't find it. Do you think you could give me directions too it?
I wouldn't ask, but it is in the first map isn't it?

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier. Yes, it is in your room, the area you start the game in. It's directly to the right of your PC. From where you start, you'd take three steps to the left, then another four upwards. Take one more step to the left and face up, then press A to get your GB Player. Since it's the beginning of the game it should be the first (and only) thing in your Key Items pocket.

Make sure you do it on the most recent release, of course! I've gotten the tracks sounding better in it. In fact, Pallet Town's music is now just about identical to the original!

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
Looks awesome. I love pretty much all of Pokemon music so this hack is right up my alley!

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2019
this may be a bug, but i'm playing this hack on psp, i used the xtra patch, and when catching a pidgey (and other pokemon i think) on route 1 with the 8 bit music on, the game freezes, and now i tried with the gb player off and now the game doesn't freezes, this is strange, since with a previous version i managed to catch pokemon with the 8 bit music on...

Years
this may be a bug, but i'm playing this hack on psp, i used the xtra patch, and when catching a pidgey (and other pokemon i think) on route 1 with the 8 bit music on, the game freezes, and now i tried with the gb player off and now the game doesn't freezes, this is strange, since with a previous version i managed to catch pokemon with the 8 bit music on...

I'm having the same problem (albeit using VBA rather than playing on a PSP). Catching a Pokemon with the GB Player on freezes the game, but it works fine with the GB Player off. That's a major bug.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023

I'm having the same problem (albeit using VBA rather than playing on a PSP). Catching a Pokemon with the GB Player on freezes the game, but it works fine with the GB Player off. That's a major bug.
I apparently accidentally compiled another song on top of the "Wild Pokémon Caught" jingle, which would be causing the crashing issue. Truly sorry guys! I didn't expect to leave such a stupid error in the hack. Makes me feel stupid myself. :embarrass

New version is up everyone, please download it to get rid of this bug!

Changelog:

• Recompiled "Wild Pokémon Caught" jingle properly to stop the game from crashing when it is supposed to play. Thanks to Gold011 for pointing this out!

Back