• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Favorite Gen 1 Starter In-Game

Which was your favorite in-game starter from Gen 1?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Charmander

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters
Years
I adore both Bulbasaur and Squirtle.. so hard to choose. Will go with Squirtle though since Wartortle is one of my favorite starters and was so useful in R/B/Y. :) Pikachu is cute too though!

Years
Charizard looks like the coolest in my opinion, though Venusaur and Blastoise look nice as well. It was kind of difficult picking the best.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Charmander was always my favourite Kanto starter because he evolved into Charizard. I always go for the coolest starters. I liked Squirtle a bit too since Water types are my favourite type of Pokemon but I chose Charmander on Red version which was my main game back then.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Squirtle is my favorite. It was the first Pokémon that I ever got my hands on. Plus, Blastoise was one of my most favorite Pokémon when I was a kid. The canons on its back were awesome-looking, and I loved the fact that it was able to take them in and out of its shell as much it wishes to. I always used to wonder if they were actually a part of its body or not, haha. Also, this Pokémon had access to a lot of strong moves, such as Blizzard, Double-Edge, and Submission.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Squirtle was and has continued to be my favorite starter. Blastoise was the first Pokémon I ever saw, and has continued to be my favorite Pokémon to this day. Consequently, I've always loved Squirtle and the rest of it's family line. Plus, I have so many great memories of training Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise to level 100 in Red Version.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I loved every single one of them! This was by far my favourite gen for starters, each one of the four having something positive. The three 'standard' starters all had great stats and designs, whereas Pikachu provided the most challenge early on.

Years
My favorite one would have to be Squirtle. I love his moves, design, and evolution because he had those bad-ass cannons on his back. At first when I started in Pokemon Yellow, I was a Charmander fan, but got bored of him, and didn't end up liking him as much as Squirtle.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
In my opinion, Bulbasaur shined in greatness.
He was such a good starter in every way, usefull for a lot of gymbadges (except Blaine).

He's just so cute & strong!

Sirfetch’d

Squirtle! This was my first starter ever so I naturally have a soft spot for him. Not to mention the fact that he has an advantage over Brock which is really helpful at the beginning. Squirtle is both well designed and powerful so I definitely think he is the best of the 3.

SoulRoach

Hoenn Fanboy
Years
I despise Charmander, I like Bulbasaur, but Squirtle has always been my pick, as I love turtles, and own two of them.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Why do you despise the poor fire lizard? :(

He's a fan favourite, so I would hardly call it poor. ;)

As a kid, my favourite was Squirtle, but nowadays I can pick any of them depending on my mood. Right now I would pick Bulbasaur and leave him as an Ivysaur for the rest of the game (design-wise it's my favourite).

EDIT: As for Yellow, never liked it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2013
I liked pikachu because he can follow you around.

I despise Charmander, I like Bulbasaur, but Squirtle has always been my pick, as I love turtles, and own two of them.

Charmander is so cute : (

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 19, 2022
PIKACHU <3

But when you have the choice to pick between 3, Charmander is my favorite. He is just too cute and I don't really care for Venusaur or Blastoise. (for their looks, not their strength)

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Back in Gen 1, I never chose Charmander or Squirtle, I always chose Bulbasaur. I seem to like Grass types more than I do Fire or Water. Bulbasaur was really useful for the first gym.

Back