• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would you improve the 3DS?

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
Years
  • Age 32
  • ???
  • Seen Jul 18, 2023
How would you reimagine the 3DS? Consider that today's phones offer: retina displays, 1080p screens, premium audio, quad-core processors, and etc ..

Let's imagine you were given the opportunity to redesign the 3DS, what would you change or add?

As for me - I'd probably consider dual HD screens with a better processor. I'm not really tech-savy, but I am curious on what other people would do with the given opportunity.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Make a sequel to Pokemon Snap for it. How this hasn't already happened, I have no clue. lol

Years
I'm fine with the technical aspects of the 3DS, my main gripe would be the lack of virtual console titles especially from the Pokemon series.

There's a lot of money to be made there as well so it makes no sense.

I'll second the call for Pokemon Snap 2, but I'd hope it doesn't use the camera like on Dream Radar or Face Raiders.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
Years
  • Age 32
  • ???
  • Seen Jul 18, 2023
Ah, that reminds me .. better rear and front facing cameras.

And was pokemon snap really that good? I never played it lol

Sir Codin

Add Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games, because the lack of a GBA slot is a bummer.

As far as the technical aspects go, I'm fine with it already, although increased processing power would be nice. Of course, then you would have to improve another thing I'd like to see improved...battery life.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I kind of want region locked to be removed and have a global eShop just because half the stuff doesn't come out in my country. Also I'm with Nuke, I want more virtual console or 3DS ports like the one they had for Kirby's Adventure. I want to play the NES Crystalis without an imposed minimum level cap.

Years
I don't really have too many problems with the technical features on the 3DS, as most Nintendo consoles tend to be a little behind their competitors in that regard. Slightly better cameras might be nice, but I use them so rarely, that it isn't a big deal breaker to me.

I have to echo some of the previous posts, though, in that I'd really love to see a Pokemon Snap 2, and slightly newer Virtual Console games (like the GBA). I never actually owned Pokemon Emerald, but if they were to offer it in the eShop for $10, I'd buy it right away.

The one other thing I'd love to see them add is either a YouTube app or at least YouTube compatibility in the Internet Browser. The Nintendo Video thing is way too limited, and most of the videos are pretty bad. I get that they want to push their own stuff, but having YouTube on my 3DS would easily double or triple my time spent on it, as that's basically all I use my iPod Touch for these days. It wouldn't be much of a problem, either, as they've already got streaming videos with Netflix working just fine.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Remove Region Lock, simply because all it does is preventing people from playing games that never came out in their region. Either that or at least releasing all games in every region...

CPU wise I think the 3DS is good as is, I mean it's better than the PSP and the games made for 3DS aren't that special that they would need more power, etc.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'd make sure we'd be able to play normal DS games in HIGH QUALITY on it! The quality of DS games on it currently is one of its biggest drawbacks for me personally.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
A better CPU, better overall design, another analog, get rid of that screen scratching issue, no region-locking, digital purchases tied to account instead of hardware, GBA and SNES virtual console and of course, a new Wario Land.

CPU wise I think the 3DS is good as is, I mean it's better than the PSP and the games made for 3DS aren't that special that they would need more power, etc.
Is Fire Emblem the only game you played? Off the top of my head, Mario 3D Land, SSFIV3D, MGS3D, DKCR 3D and especially Luigi's Mansion could have more than used a better CPU. The fact Mario Kart 7 managed to get 60fps on both 3D and 2D with THAT CPU is nothing short of a miracle. (OK, they had to cut the graphical powers because the game is very polygonal.) Also the CPU is the reason we didn't and won't get proper GBA and SNES emulators.
I'd make sure we'd be able to play normal DS games in HIGH QUALITY on it! The quality of DS games on it currently is one of its biggest drawbacks for me personally.
1:1 mode? Though better have a XL for that because it's so small on an OG 3DS.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Is Fire Emblem the only game you played? Off the top of my head, Mario 3D Land, SSFIV3D, MGS3D, DKCR 3D and especially Luigi's Mansion could have more than used a better CPU. The fact Mario Kart 7 managed to get 60fps on both 3D and 2D with THAT CPU is nothing short of a miracle. (OK, they had to cut the graphical powers because the game is very polygonal.) Also the CPU is the reason we didn't and won't get proper GBA and SNES emulators.
I don't use 3D-mode too often, so I never run into any problems ^^"

The problem is, I don't think a better CPU would make so much of a difference (even though I'm not 100% into the specs and software of the 3DS). Considering there's this whole handheld specific stuff (like battery life) and the OS running in the background., the most significant thing, that'd change may be the price xD

Also there may be some compatibility issues with older DS/3DS games...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I'd redeisgn so that it was better shaped for hands (not a brick) and give it a second circle pad. I would have to move the zl and zr keys to the front and have it as a 6-button joypad.

As for the size, I would make it have a 4 inch main display and 3.5 touch display. I would also give the device a better camera, GBA cart slot, wider viewing angle and a capacitive top display.

I'd even add a phone function in there as well, with 3G/4G versions and even remove region lock.

Years
1) I would change the button to make thing 3D, because the button slide with the time looses is strength, and then it move up or down against our will. So i prefer a push button like the on.

2) A Save file system based on the MicroSD cards, and in the same way, a posibility to interact bewteen save file games. In that way maybe you can send pokes from one of your games to other of your games without require another Nintendo DS.

3) Maybe a more resistent low screen, because with games like guitar hero its more easy that they get a scratch =(

That's the things i guess can work for a better 3ds XD

Years
I would make it where original DS games can be scaled at its full resolution properly (instead of being blurry in full screen), so that you can enjoy those games without having to hold down Select and Start to get the game's natural resolution.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
XL as standard size; two analogues as standard; larger buttons that are less close to the edges; no shiny dust-catching finish (on that note, transparent casings like some Gameboys had would be nice); remove region lock; no automatic update download whenever the console is online.
A better CPU and GPU would be nice, but it is a portable console.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
A better CPU and GPU would be nice, but it is a portable console.
That's no excuse when the Vita is also on the shelves, regardless of its sales. I have both and it's ridiculous how much better the Vita is in terms of performances. The 3DS CPU is only a LITTLE higher than the PSP, despite being released 7 years later.

The GPU is fine, the CPU isn't.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
That's no excuse when the Vita is also on the shelves, regardless of its sales. I have both and it's ridiculous how much better the Vita is in terms of performances. The 3DS CPU is only a LITTLE higher than the PSP, despite being released 7 years later.

The GPU is fine, the CPU isn't.
Well I was thinking it would either ruin battery life or make the console particularly expensive.
Though if it's hardly any better than the PSP's CPU, I see...

droomph

weeb
Years
Despite all the crap people are giving it, I would have to say that as long as the programmers streamline the games down to where it's not freezing, the CPU is fiinnnne. It's not like you guys are hacking into it like I would :P and even then, I don't.

I would have to say, they should make an auto-off device where if it's in sleep mode and a step hasn't been taken for about an hour, it should shut off. Really helps :)

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I think really, the 3DS is ok. It could do with better resolution for NDS games. Seriously, it's sad that I can play Ocarina of Time in what I consider amazing quality, but my white version is painful to play on the 3DS.

A GBA slot, or make it all available on the eshop - if I had Fire Red, let it have a specific code that I input into the eshop and they'll let me download the game onto the 3DS, seeing as I've already paid for it.

As someone mentioned - the 3D switch could be better made - if I barely touch mine it tends to throw the 3D out when I don't want it.

The Gyroscpic (?) feature was really frustrating when I played OOT cause it couldn't be turned off. Could do with some improving.

And most of all....... IMPROVE THE BATTERY LIFE!

Back