• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google Unveils "Google Glass"

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Today, Google unveiled some details about "Project Glass", their long-term augmented reality project.

The prototype version Google showed off on Wednesday looked like a very polished and well-designed pair of wrap-around glasses with a clear display that sits above the eye. The glasses can stream information to the lenses and allow the wearer to send and receive messages through voice commands. There is also a built-in camera to record video and take pictures.

Source

I think these are pretty awesome, but I wouldn't call them "well-designed" as they're still pretty geeky looking lol. A lot of people aren't going to bother if they make them look terrible; and if you can't just piggyback it on your own glasses you would have to buy super expensive glasses every time you got a new eye exam. :( But they're working on those so!

Thoughts?

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
Years
Wow. Progress sure creeps up on you.

I envisage the day that everyone has a pair of these as a while off yet though. The glasses'll probably be really expensive just by virtue of the intricacy and size of the tech crammed inside them, and by the time they reach a consumer price point there'll be all kinds of horror stories (á la the Wii's early days) about dropping them or leaving them on the bus or sitting on them and watching your life shatter into bite-sized fragments. But that'll pass, I guess.

However. I'd love to know how the internet access one presumably needs for these things is supposed to travel with you if you live anywhere other than a major city. I have a freakin' Ethernet cable and BT still can't figure out quite how to, you know, provide an actual connection half the time out here in the sticks. Also, you just know they'd try and make the thing talk to you like Siri, and then we'd have all sorts of problems with misinterpretation and incorrect commands and whatnot. Imagine: some bloke's having it away with a mistress whose first name begins with the same letter as his wife's, and he accidentally sends the wrong text to the wrong lady. Or shares his location. Or posts in the wrong Google+ circle. Or happens to be Scottish. (On the other hand, Hollywood must be rubbing their hands. There's a whole subdivision of romantic comedy films waiting to be ruthlessly mined and rehashed along those lines.)

...I'd still buy one though.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
So what's the ultimate purpose of this invention, to do what phones now do already save being hands-free?
If that's the case, it's only a logical progression; if not, I would welcome a basic explanation.

blue

gucci
Years
Well that's just taking technology to a whole different level and as bad as they look I'd say that is pretty impressive!
Also, here's a video.

Last edited:
Years
Anyone here watched Dennou Coil?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennō_Coil

Coil — A Circle of Children, is a Japanese science fiction anime television series depicting a near future where semi-immersive augmented reality (AR) technology has just begun to enter the mainstream. The series takes place in the fictional city of Daikoku, a hotbed of AR development with an emerging city-wide virtual infrastructure. It follows a group of children as they use AR glasses to unravel the mysteries of the half real, half Internet city, using a variety of illegal software tools, techniques, and virtual pets to manipulate the digital landscape.

I am quite excited about this, but at the same time having reservations about the whole thing.

But to be quite honest, the blur between reality and virtual life will become even more blurred with this.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
I like, maybe I should screw up my eyes so I can get a pair XD. But seriously, I knew this would happen one day, and think, they said this is only the first piece of wearable tech, what else do they have in mind? And Personally, I like how they look.

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
Years
My dad says he'll never let me get one because "Alex Jones said it takes pictures of you for Google hurr durrrrrrr."

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Years
They were talking about Project Glass on TV just now. I must admit, it looks kind of cool. I would love to be a product tester for Google :)

I'm thinking they would connect through a cellular data plan, like tablets (such as the iPad) can do right now. That would make sense.

droomph

weeb
Years
Yeah I heard they're going to implement "super-wifi" in replacement of cellular networks...

Anywho I don't think I would like talking to myself for no reason, and those glasses would make me look really weird. Maybe contacts?

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
I don't care what they look like. I'd wear those even if they resembled the old braces of olde where it took up a person's entire face. I've dreamed of glasses like that for as long as I can remember, although as a kid I just wanted to be able to play Pokemon during class :P But now that I'm older, and with the advent of technology taking over business and all things basically, I see extreme potential in devices such as these - those contacts with pixels are amazing.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Ascension you brought up a point that I've been curious about - how would these be implemented in places like cars, work, and school? School it would seem like they would want them banned, because why would you need them during class, it would just distract you. But I've heard people talking about them being used as a GPS in cars, and my first thought was that people were going to die because their glasses covered their vision too much.

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
I think they would eventually be banned/frowned upon in schools, like cell phones. I think everywhere else, just as with other technologies, if you're doing something business or work related, they'd probably be fine with it. Cars, on the other hand, would probably be illegal, seeing as it's a visual distraction. When these are released, I'll be interested in seeing how everyone will handle it as well.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Wish Apple was making this. Then they could call them iGlasses.

I know. Lame pun.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Wish Apple was making this. Then they could call them iGlasses.

I know. Lame pun.

1327107604040.gif

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I can't imagine these ever being street legal. I'm picturing really distracted people behind the wheel and people getting not paying attention walking the street.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Some car companies have been thinking about including something that would disable cellphone service inside the car so you can't talk/drive or text/drive.

My guess is that something like that might be able to be applied to this, although it does nothing for all the older cars.

Back