• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Game as an (Addiction)

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
The term 'addicted' has been tossed around a lot more often nowadays, with probably one of the more prominent cases - people could be addicted to playing video games. Now, of course, we all know it's not good to play video games 24/7, but, what do you think of video gaming being treated as an "addiction"?

Is it a prominent illness, or maybe just a case of people "playing video games too much"? How much is too much, by the way? How much time should a person have, not playing video games? Feel free to share all thoughts~!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It's all right to play video games on your free time every now and then, but being completely addicted to them wouldn't be too smart of a choice. It shifts your focus away from getting a good education, it takes all the time away that you could spend with your friends and family, it makes you gain weight by having you stay less active (physically), and more. None of this may affect you now, but they will definitely affect you later in life when you're set out to live on your own. d:

If you have, say, six hours of free time each day, then I think it would be okay to spend about two hours on video games. The rest of your free time should be spent on other things, such as going out for a walk, taking a nap, reading a book, etc.

Last edited:

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
I think most cases are simply people playing games too much, but I do believe it is possible for there to be a physiological addiction to gaming. Much like gambling it doesn't directly influence the chemicals in your body the way alcohol or drugs do, but it is possible to be addicted to the feeling one gets from playing games.

Gambling addicts have that drive of "the next one will be the big win," and similarly I think video game addicts can have the drive of "I've just gotta hit the next level." It's part of what keeps MMO players coming back, despite how mind-numbingly boring the grinding can actually be.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
Much like gambling it doesn't directly influence the chemicals in your body the way alcohol or drugs do, but it is possible to be addicted to the feeling one gets from playing games.
Last time I checked, Dopamine is a chemical. When one loses, Dopamine may be released depending on the strength your addiction.. which is why they keep going.
Video Games also release Dopamine.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
Last time I checked, Dopamine is a chemical. When one loses, Dopamine may be released depending on the strength your addiction.. which is why they keep going.
Video Games also release Dopamine.

What I meant by that was that gambling doesn't add additional chemicals to your system in the way that alcohol and drugs do, it simply manipulates the ones which are already there.

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
I really play too much honestly. Litteraley, hooked. And I mean TOO much!
I really don't like to see it as an addiction. People seeing video games as an addiction makes me think that they think: "If they play games, they're physically inept of talking to people" and that really ticks me off! Just because we play games doesn't make us physically inept to talk to other people! Cancer too actually. Video games constantly get blamed for everything and cancer now?! They will be blamed for everything! "Video Games called me bad names!", "Video Games said something about my parents!", "Video Games touched me inappropriately!". People really gotta take in account that people play games and that doesn't give them disadvantages if they have an extremely strong interest in it!

Nakala Pri

I might be a bit... addicted to games. I mean, once I pick up the 3Ds I cannot stop playing! Same with the DSi and Laptop, I guess it is an addiction. But gaming is the future! So I don't see why we are labeled as brainless zombies, after all, we are the reason the gaming world is striving!

YAY FOR GAMING! :D Who's with me?

Back