• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nah, Jazz is awful. How can you like it?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
For the record, I actually like Jazz.

So, something that really annoys me about the music world, is the lack of tolerance for different genres. We've all seen it "Ugh, ____ is crap, who do you listen to that?". But these opinions are very subjective, and people shouldn't generalize like this in my honest opinion. So what I'm asking is; do you respect others' music tastes even if they differentiate entirely from your own?

I always like to embrace others, in the discussion of why they like their favourite genre even if I know nothing about it. I give all music a chance, and if I don't like it, I merely don't listen to it. But we all have the habit of making the generalization of a particular area of music out to be bad, or distasteful merely because we dislike it ourselves. It bothers me a little, especially when it's directed at my tastes, I feel that people need to respect music that bit more, so that the individual won't be criticized for what they listen to. It's like wronging someone for liking the colour red when you personally find it to be an ugly colour, knowing there's a niche for it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
even if i did feel negatively about a specific genre it'd be in a general way and i wouldn't entirely dismiss the genre because because i hadn't heard anything i'd consider "quality" from that genre's musicians. while i make fun of my brother for listening to ""screamo""" he makes fun of me for listening to "weird stuff" which is the sort of trivial mocking that's all in good fun, but i don't seriously look down on him for his preferences. i have my tastes while others have theirs, and it's healthy to keep an open mind to all.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I can respect all music tastes, because people listen to what music they enjoy and that is what music is all about, enjoyment.

I don't stereotype genres because I believe there are good artists in every genre. The most common genre I see get attacked is hip hop or (or "rap" which is what everyone seems to call it now). I can safely say that the large majority of these people have only heard the modern mainstream hip hop, and I can agree that most of that is bad music. But to say that every rapper is bad? That's just silly. I like quite a few underground rappers myself (as well as Kanye West, lol)

But then again, I do criticize musicians. I can respect that people enjoy certain music, what I don't respect is when people try to claim a particular musician or band is amazingly talented, when they clearly aren't. I will speak out against that. It may look like I'm just saying someone has awful taste, I'm just saying that musicians you enjoy =/= talented musicians.
Example: I enjoy listening to Kanye West, although I admit he isn't a great musician and he doesn't have incredible talent. A lot of Kanye West fans will try and claim he has extreme talent, when that clearly isn't the case. You can replace Kanye with a lot of other musicians, but you get the idea.

Enjoyment of music is subjective and what might sound like garbage to someone else might sound great to someone else, so it's just silly to tell people they shouldn't listen to certain things.
However musical talent is not quite so subjective. Just because you enjoy listening to _____ doesn't make them a good band/musician.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
I always give a genre a chance. Pretty much, what I do, is if someone asks me what music I like, I say "A little of everything." Because there is seriously at least one song in any given genre, that I will probably like. For instance, I never thought I'd listen to tango music for fun, but then I found Gotan Project and practically fell in love with their music. Same with Rap and Fort Minor, Big Band music and Sing Sing Sing, video game music and Final Fantasy/Zelda/most other games. XD So in general, if someone says, "I know of an awesome _____ song! Wanna hear it?" I give the individual song a chance, because, who knows? Maybe that song will be the first song from that genre that I'll enjoy?

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
In the past 8 years or so since I've been listening to music, I've tried to give every genre a chance. I just found myself more fitting with different genres of rock. Whenever I meet people with different musical tastes, I generally look up their last.fm profile and experiment with some of their musical choices. I ask people about their musical preference all the time; it's basically one of the first things I do whenever I befriend someone new.

Although I do act a little negatively about some genres of music, everyone has their likes and dislikes. I can deal with almost everything, besides screaming (a lot of it). It just turns me off to be honest. But if anyone recommends me to a related genre of music, then I'll most likely open heartedly accept. It always thrills me when I listen to music of other peoples' preferences, and I've grown attached with many of them.

So yeah, I do respect others' musical preferences even when they differentiate entirely from my own. We can't judge a person's preference; and we can't criticize a person for liking a particular genre of music.

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 31, 2011
I don't feel obligated to respect other people's opinions about music or anything else. I respect their right to it, but not necessarily their opinion.

For the record, I don't like most jazz.

Also for the record, the Beatles are an awful, awful band (not that anyone said they were good, but I just hate them so much). I can't stand their "music". Just putting that out there. I'm a classical music guy.

I hate Brahms, though.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Music isn't a very big part of my life, so I'll never understand how someone can claim to be so passionate about music yet discount an entire genre as pure crap (usually rap/hip-hop are the unlucky genre). D:

Like I said, music isn't a very big part of my life, but I will listen to anything. My computer's playlist ranges from Black Sabbath to Queen to Linkin Park to Christina Aguilara to Lady Gaga to Soulja Boy to Kid Cudi. XD

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
Years
No, I don't respect other peoples music tastes.
I make fun of my friend all the time for liking black metal and other "extreme" types of metal.
I also wonder how anyone can enjoy screamo, rap, pop (excluding The Beatles), country, and band music.
I am a very narrow-minded person, but I can't help it.

If I don't listen to a certain type of music, it's most likely crap.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 4, 2018
I've learned to respect what other people listen to, either it be some crazy metal or very hilarious rap, I can pretty much get along with it, but I don't necessarily listen to it with friends, my music tastes are quite the usual, I can basically listen to anything except a few genres, some can get quite annoying and repetitive such as mainstream pop, I may listen to some of it myself, but I consider some pop music somewhat different from most others. I listen to what every other teenager does basically pop, rap, rock, you name it, I've come across some people who happen to judge me based of what kind of music I listen to, it's quite annoying, but it's not often luckily, I come across such individuals.

Years
I respect other's music choices, because I have a fairly diverse taste myself. Much like Timbjerr, my I-pod can go from System of a Down to Owl City, from Lady Gaga to Rise Against, then to the Beatles, Steam, Johnny Cash, and back to Drake, Lynrd Skynrd, Korn, and Maroon 5. xD

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
I'm very respectful of other people's music choices. Mostly because I have at least one song from every genre.... except mexican music.... it's about the one genre I would prefer not to listen to.

But I don't really force my likings on others. I just let them decide and go with it, ya know, see if I was right for not listening to it.

I don't like, however, how harshly criticized I tend to be for that habit.
My music on my cell (my MP3 player of choice now that my 2-year old Samsung YPT9 vanished...) has a wide range of artists and genres... Yuki Kajiura and a few composers for Okami, Eminem, Garth Brooks, Alanis Morissette (I always spell this name wrong... 2 S's and 2 T's... not 2 R's and 2 T's), Rihanna, Creed, Disturbed, Carrie Underwood, etc., etc. I have more than once been called a flip flopper or a sheep or a kiss-up for that... I'm not. I'm just (admittedly) almost ridiculously open when it comes to music.

Years
It really annoys me that people (at least, people I'm around. No generalisations here) seem to think you're not as good a person as them if you don't like "mainstream" music (rap; hip-hop; etc.). So whenever I'm asked "what music do you like", I just say "whatever is on" which is certainly not true but it's better than having jackasses take the piss out of me because I dislike their crap. So yes, I don't respect other peoples' opinions on music if they don't respect mine. /rant

(Please don't take this the wrong way.)

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
It really annoys me that people (at least, people I'm around. No generalisations here) seem to think you're not as good a person as them if you don't like "mainstream" music (rap; hip-hop; etc.). So whenever I'm asked "what music do you like", I just say "whatever is on" which is certainly not true but it's better than having jackasses take the piss out of me because I dislike their crap. So yes, I don't respect other peoples' opinions on music if they don't respect mine. /rant

(Please don't take this the wrong way.)

I don't think I'm so much as taking it the wrong way as overthinking the idea. You seem to be as open as the person questioning you seems. I myself haven't listened to mainstream radio myself in years. The only music I have from there my sisters introduced me to. I just tend to find my own music more amusing so I never take the time to browse the radio. Haha

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Also for the record, the Beatles are an awful, awful band (not that anyone said they were good, but I just hate them so much). I can't stand their "music". Just putting that out there.

This is pretty much exactly what Abnegation was talking about. Tell me, could you possiby explain why they are an awful band?

IanDonyer

Time to kick ass? Definitely.
Years
I came here because I saw this and wanted to punch the OP in the face, because Jazz is awesome. :p

But yeah; I have a wide array of musical taste. I like pretty much all genres but the more depressing side of country, and the extremists of metal (examples for this: Judas Priest. Christ.)... but even then, I respect those who do like things I don't. Like you said, it's like disliking someone because they like the color red and you don't. Just plain dumb.

Ayselipera

I won't lie. There have definitely been times when someone will mention an artist or genre to me and I'll say something like, "How can you listen to that!" I'm not trying to be rude it's just the first reaction that comes out of me. :) I never really saw it as anything terrible to do though. Friends at school always tell me I listen to horrible music. I take it in good stride and move along~

Music is just a confusing piece of the art world. Everyone always wants to justify why one genre is better then the other, but in the end that's a bit impossible. Music isn't based on fact it's based on opinions. What appeals to one doesn't always appeal to others. For example I'm not the biggest fan of country, but to say it's the worst genre of music would just be an opinion. Some people tend to get confused in that area.

I don't stereotype genres because I believe there are good artists in every genre. The most common genre I see get attacked is hip hop or (or "rap" which is what everyone seems to call it now). I can safely say that the large majority of these people have only heard the modern mainstream hip hop, and I can agree that most of that is bad music. But to say that every rapper is bad? That's just silly. I like quite a few underground rappers myself (as well as Kanye West, lol)

Agreed. If you ever take a look into old school rap or hip-hop it's not bad at all. The newer stuff seems to me to have a pop sound influence which I don't care for. Kanye West is (what I think) a great example of someone who combines the older style with a new sound. I was obsessed with him two to three years ago and found his first three albums to be great. Especially The College Dropout and Late Registration. 808s & Heartbreak was a huge disappointment, but what I've heard of his newest album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy brings back some old Kanye West memories~ I think it just goes to show even in what I consider to be one of my least favorite genres you can always find something you like. I guess the moral is look around before you judge!

Last edited:
Years
I find I tend to be more judgmental of people's musical tastes as a whole and mostly based on which musicians they listen to rather than the genres they listen to. For instance, on the whole I'm not a fan of country and western. When I find out someone is a country fan a little area of my brain lights up and says "eww", but if I then hear that they like Johnny Cash that part of my brain changes its tune to "oh, well, that's not so bad". Then if I hear they also listen to bluegrass, folk and classic rock, and occasionally pop and jazz, I can conclude that they have well-rounded musical tastes and that their preference for country is just a strange oddity or quirk (since I still don't see the appeal of mainstream country music).

It's when someone listens almost exclusively to certain artists I don't personally like that I start to be judgmental. It's never serious judgment though. More like "I hope I don't end up in a car when they're driving" kind of thing because I know it'll be unpleasant. I think most people can find common musical ground, though.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I respect other people music interest. But at times, when someone says a music title that I don't like I say "dude, that sucks!". Its just that...I can't help myself.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
The only music I hate is everything that's popular. Iow, rap and hip hop. Oh, and country isn't exactly my favorite. I really don't understand how people can like rap, it's horrible.

Back