• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The saga of missing Flight MH370

Years
* Search in 12th day, no wreckage found so far

* Two vast search corridors stretch from Caspian Sea to Indian Ocean

* Countries seen reluctant to share militarily sensitive data

* Data from pilot's flight simulator deleted

* Possible sighting in the Maldives discounted

Spoiler:

What do you think happened the plane? Hijacked, possible terrorist motives? Crashed? Abducted by aliens? Also, is the insane amount of media coverage justified? And what does this say about airline safety, post-9/11?

Last edited:

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
isn't it pretty much proven that it was, in fact, hijacked?

It is really bizarre but I don't think it deserves the amount of coverage it's gotten. I imagine planes have disappeared like this before? (could be wrong)

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
isn't it pretty much proven that it was, in fact, hijacked?

It is really bizarre but I don't think it deserves the amount of coverage it's gotten. I imagine planes have disappeared like this before? (could be wrong)

Yeah I mean my local airport likes to play hide and seek every week. They send a plane in a random direction and it's up to everyone to team up and find the plane. Great fun!

I don't really hear about missing jets much... in fact I can't remember anything like this. I guess maybe it's getting more coverage than other incidents or something? But since it's 2014, and there's so many means of surveillance around the world compared to like, fifty years back, I imagine losing a jet is a very very rare occurrence indeed.

I think a wreckage in the sea isn't the case. It's possible they've landed on territory that isn't particularly well known? Maybe the pilots watched too much Lost.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I skimmed through the article you posted, and I don't think it was covered in there. But I saw on the BBC that the airline has refused to share the full cargo / passenger list, which is instantly suspicious.

There was also a theory on there that it had flown in the radar shadow of another plane on it's way to Spain, it disappeared around the same time it reached this "shadow," and used that to mask it's travel before finally ditching somewhere. Very unlikely I know, but an interesting possibility.

The coverage is justified imo. not just because such a large amount of people are missing, and not just because airport security is a globally important issue that we debate seemingly constantly. If the situation was kept on the low down what would that suggest?

When (if) we find out what happened here then obviously steps would have to be taken to try and prevent anything similar happening; but at the same time the public need to have their say. Imagine if a whole new set of security came in as a result in this, it'd be good for everyone to know as much as possible about the situation so they can give their input.

Guest123_x1

Given that such a large and extensive search has taken place, with no signs of the plane showing up at all yet, anything could have happened to it at this point. What I fear the most is that this will turn into another decades-long case, a la Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance back in 1975.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
It's annoying to me that news stations are literally spending hours and hours of time on the airline case when there is, the last time I checked, more news out there. Yes, it's a massive mystery, and no one is giving or receiving the right information—but my God, there are other stories to focus on. What about the Keystone Pipeline? What about police brutality? What about stop and frisk? What about gender equality? What about marriage equality? What about abortion and birth control rights? Even Obamacare has been put on the back-burner for this.

Years
I read an article a few days ago that suggests that the prime minister believes the pilots were political activists. (implying they may be involved)

The flight, from the little data they had seemed to also suggest the plane, headed toward Beijing, was a few hundred miles away from Vietnam (on path) going NE, and then suddenly turned the plane, heading somewhere to the West. Thus, implying the act was deliberate. (Hijackers or the pilots)

All I can guess is that, however this story concludes, someone, somewhere, will make it into a movie :/

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Im baffled at the fact that passenger planes dont have some kind of tracking device that cant be turned off under any circumstances. I mean, wouldnt that make a lot of sense?? As for the missing plane, im pretty sure it has been hijacked. If there had been an accident they would have found some kind of evidence for it by now i guess, so if you eliminate paranormal alternatives, its the only logical thing

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
It's kind of understandable to why it may have been easy to lose track of the plane, what is NOT acceptable though is how ♥♥♥♥ing slow things like the pings and all that were to locate. Don't you think that if it were pinging a GPS unit that someone could go, hey! Flight M370 is, I don't know, PINGING a GPS unit. Seriously. Wtf.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
One thing that the Danish news seems to focus on a lot is the fact that the communication systems were shut down one after the other with a few seconds in between. If the plane had simply exploded in mid-air, they would have lost connection simultaneously. Also, if the comm. systems get manually turned off, general procedure is to send out MAYDAY before you turn off the system. This seems to imply that the plane has been hijacked by the pilots as they are the only persons expected to know the procedures and the security systems.
Another possible thing is that a poisonous gas has been spread in the plane, killing the pilots and passengers without them even knowing it. But then the communication lines not turning off simultaneously seems weird.

not finding any traces of airplane parts in the ocean could also actually be due to the autopilot of the plane. The plane could have flown around for a few hours before running out of fuel, and who knows how far it could have gotten in those hours.

Still, the lack of radar- or sonar-registrations seems very suspicious. Some speculate that governments have to hide something from the general public.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I saw this on the news while at lunch today and kind of snubbed my date to watch it. My heart just felt so heavy, and I'm truly sorry for those that have lost someone in this event.

Years
I was suspecting this from day one, that the plane would have crashed. It's so saddening that my suspicion was finally confirmed true because it's likely everyone on board got killed. This is basically the fatal 2009 Air France disapperance version 2.0.

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
As terrible as it is to finally hear that the plane did indeed go down, after having been missing for so long it was honestly the most plausible ending scenario. Condolences to all the families. Hopefully, the crazy conspiracy theories will come to an end. At the vey least, it was somewhat nice to see so many governments in the world come together to try and help.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Well, I just hope they can retrieve the plane quicker that their estimation (years?) so we can have some answers as to what really happened. =/

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Well, I just hope they can retrieve the plane quicker that their estimation (years?) so we can have some answers as to what really happened. =/
It took that French flight in 2009 several years to obtain the black box to find out anything so it will probably take a long time. I really don't get why flight companies don't upgrade their black boxes so that they float.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
It took that French flight in 2009 several years to obtain the black box to find out anything so it will probably take a long time. I really don't get why flight companies don't upgrade their black boxes so that they float.

I'd guess they're made of a pretty dense material given they're supposed to survive fires and explosions and crashes and stuff. Maybe making them float isn't as easy as it sounds. *shrug*

Anyway - I was reading about this today and (probably because I'm in the UK) found a load of articles harping on about how a UK satellite company has managed to identify where the plane may have gone down. On one hand, great. On the other... I don't like how focused it was on who found the plane first. It's almost as if we've forgotten about everyone impacted and are now in a race to be able to say "OH LOOK AT ME I GOT THERE FIRST TEHEHE". Pretty disrespectful. :\

Monophobia

Already Dead
Years
I'm actually really interested to hear about what happened to cause the crash. Surely things like this don't just happen out of the blue?

Back