• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games you use to hate/dislike, but now like

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
I'm sure there were times when you got a game, and you didn't quite get what you expected. Or you were following the popular crowd. Or you weren't old enough to appreciate the atmosphere. Or the difficulty was just too high at the time.

Whatever the reasons, you did not enjoy the game you were playing. However, you went back to playing and now you actually enjoy it.

Give reasons why you think you didn't enjoy it, and/or why you enjoy it now.

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
Zelda II for sure. I got it back when I was in like 4th grade and hated it because I couldn't get very far in it. Fast forward to 11th grade and I'm playing through it again and loving the heck out of it. I dunno, man. That game.

Years
Final Fantasy (I know, unbelievable)

Played FF Tactics Advanced for the first time at the age of 6, and it was WAY too advanced for me.

However, I decided to give the game another chance exactly 6 years later, and I became so addicted to the series, that I have no words to describe it :D

NatureKeeper

I used to think its a repetitive overrated shooter until I experienced online on my cousin's PS3. The game is bashed about being overrated that it went to the point of being extremely underrated by the general gamers just because it's cool to hate on it.

Now it's the game I'm getting with the Wii U.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Hmm ... it wasn't a hate/dislike for the game series before I got into it but it took me several tries to actually get into Kingdom Hearts. First few times I tried it and it just didn't connect with me. But this past summer I relayed Kingdom Hearts II, paid attention to the story, and the rest was history.

Years
Nothing really.
I haven't really come across a game that I haven't liked from the beginning or disliked from the beginning.​

ProjectMisfit

The fear of an inconceivable ending.
Years
Hmm ... it wasn't a hate/dislike for the game series before I got into it but it took me several tries to actually get into Kingdom Hearts. First few times I tried it and it just didn't connect with me. But this past summer I relayed Kingdom Hearts II, paid attention to the story, and the rest was history.

Really? Hm.. KH sold me the first time. Loved it, glad you enjoy it now!

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
Years
honestly I hated The Saint Row series I thought it was just a knock off of GTA. But then my mom bought the 1st game as a gift then I became addicted so now I played every game in the series.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
Can't say I have one.. if I hated a game I probably wouldn't go back and play it. The closest I can think of is Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories on PS1. The amount of grinding for good cards I had to go through was ridiculous so it annoyed the hell out of me, but I don't mind it now I'm older and can appreciate the horrible graphics and subpar gameplay.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Terraria.

To me at first, seemed like a typical Minecraft rip off.
But then after playing it I saw all it's unique features.
And now, I can't get enough of both of them :D

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

I was "busy". Or at least I thought I was busy XD I was only in Grade Six. But, I felt crunched for time that fall and the funky save feature didn't make stuff easier. So, I took forever to finish that game the first time around.

And now I consider it a masterpiece

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I didn't like Minecraft the first time I tried it out. I didn't try it for long but I did really try to like it. I just found the learning curve way too high and I didn't really get how anyone could find it fun. Building in creative mode seemed okay but beyond that, I thought it was a really overrated game.

Tried it again once it got cats (lol my standards) and I'd seen a few LP episodes (so I knew some of the basic crafting recipes) and I had so much fun. I'd initially pirated it and within a week had bought the full version and poured so many hours into it. I still really enjoy it.

I feel like this is a bit of an odd example because I am fairly certain that had I actually bought it and forced myself to play it while it was still in beta (or did I try it during alpha?), but since Minecraft is always changing and evolving, I like it now because it's a significantly different game.

I can't think of any games I hated but appreciate now, since I usually don't replay games I don't like. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Hmm ... would Kingdom Hearts count? I tried getting into the series several times over the years and it wasn't very successful until this Summer. I'm not sure if it's just because I wasn't interested in the plot at the time but it was just really hard for me to get into it.

But now I have and I really enjoy the series.

Chamongys

Pokemon Fiend !
Years
Monster Hunter. I never really liked until I found out how to actually kill, fight, and upgrade my armor. It's a great game though.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Hmm ... would Kingdom Hearts count? I tried getting into the series several times over the years and it wasn't very successful until this Summer. I'm not sure if it's just because I wasn't interested in the plot at the time but it was just really hard for me to get into it.

But now I have and I really enjoy the series.
By the way...
:P

Anyway, I suppose Tekken 6 is one of them. I first got the game to try and get into 3D fighters, but it didn't work out so well. Then by the end of the year, I eventually tried it again after being persuaded to by a friend and got hooked. I learned the basics and all that, and hell even learned how to do an Electric Wind God Fist with the Mishimas, so I realized how much of an enjoyable series it is. I've got Tekken Tag Tournament 2 now and I love it, but don't see myself playing it much haha.

Also another one I hated: Wario Land 4. Maybe not hate, but I certainly didn't like it back when I was a kid and it disturbed me. Now I started appreciating the humor and artstyle and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
Years
I wasn't too fussed with Chrono Trigger. I gave it go some years back because of all the praise it got, but I didn't get far because I found the early game a bit of a slog. A few years later, I play again out of boredom and I enjoyed it. First impressions really are important, aren't they?

CoMM

Comitted Facenose
Years
If there are games like that I hated then liked. It is a long-ass list but I'll only state the ones I remember of the recent years.

1) Pokemon - Yes you all know, the theme of this forum, the ultimate game that is just ultimate. I got SoulSilver the day it came out to try and understand the Pokemon series. But I wasn't that mature and understanding at the time with Nintendo gaming so I hated it due to the misunderstanding of it and sold it. Then this summer I saw my cousin playing it and it looked really really fun by the way he was playing it so I bought it again and played it. Now that I understood more of it I got extremely hooked onto it like how I got hooked onto Assassin's Creed.

2) Killzone Series ) When the first game came out on PS2 it was absolute crap and hated every bit of it. Then when Killzone 2 came out I got it for free when I got my PS3 and thought it would be the same like Killzone 1 and hated it too. Later on I came back to play it because I had nothing else to do and then started to like Killzone 2. I got hooked and then bought Killzone 3 and it's originally amazing for me.

3) Resistance Series ) It was overrated to me when the first game came out but I wasn't too good with horror games. I got 2 when I bought my PS3 and hated it. Got Resistance 3 this year and hated it. Then a few months later I played them all again and played them and it wasn't that bad. I didn't get hooked but I like it.

4) Kingdom Hearts ) This was a tough one for me, I was a small kid when I played KH1 and I understood nothing so I quitted it but when I grew up a little I grabbed my PS2 and played all the games I previously didn't like and I still hated them all except one : Kingdom Hearts. It was absolutely amazing. Got every game except for the DS game. (Not the 3DS one, I got that one and love it.)

Can't remember any other game but when I do I'll make sure to post here :)

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
for the longest time i hated FPS games because i sucked at them but literally overnight i got elite at them. MW3 in particular has gotten on my good side....i play as well as multi prestiged players and im only rank 19.

i swear after Dark Souls i can play any game well

Back