• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are May and Max like?

Brian Powell

Have a nice day!
Years
From where I come from, I haven't seen Pokemon Advance Generation series yet and I need some updating. About May and Max, all I heard is...

1. May is twice as dumb as Ash
2. May dislikes pokemon battles but enters Pokemon contests.
3. Max goes to Pokemon school in Rustboro
4. What are their personalties?
5. ... That's it... for now...

I have some questions here...
1. Is May the new Misty?
2. Anything that May or Max like / dislike?
3. What's Max's reason for joining Ash's group?

Aagh! Too many quwstions in my head! Help! I need some update! Please!

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2021
Okay, I'll tell you everything that I know. ^_^; It just started showing here last November, and we haven't gotten too far into the series yet. The questions/rumors are in bold, BTW.

That's not really true. She's just a beginning Trainer and doesn't know that much about Pokemon.

That's true. At the beginning she tells us that she doesn't really like Pokemon and battling, but later on when she sees a Pokemon Contest, she decides that that is what she wants to do! So, now she does enter them and instead of collecting badges, she collects the ribbons. This also made her seem to appreciate her Pokemon more.

3. Max goes to Pokemon school in Rustboro

I don't think this is true. Maybe he did before joining Ash and co., but not while they're traveling. If you've seen pictures of Max doing some sort of schoolwork, it from an episode where they all visited this Trainer school that Roxanne teaches at.

May is a lot nicer than Misty was when she met Ash. She doesn't have as much of a temper, and seems to look up to him more. Though, she can get easily annoyed by her brother, Max. So basically she's a friendly, outgoing person. She loves shopping, especially for swimsuits, and often ends up getting tired or hungry during their journeys. Funny though, she claims to just love traveling, but she isn't a very good one sometimes. XD

Max is almost the total opposite of May. He thinks he knows everything, especially about Pokemon, and corrects May or Ash whenever he can. He's still nice though; he just easily gets his feelings hurt. He's also a bit bossy at times. But, he's still young so he's a lot more immature than the others.

1. Is May the new Misty?

A lot of people think so, but who knows? Misty does meet back up with everyone and stays for about two episodes, but then she leaves back for Cerulean City. So.. only time will tell who will stay with Ash forever.

May:

Likes - Traveling. Training Pok?mon was just sort of her excuse to travel around to different places.
Dislikes - Pokemon, at the beginning of the series. She just wasn't interested in them.. until she found out about the contests. =P

Max:

Likes - I don't know much about his interests, except he enjoys studying Pokemon, and his Pok? Nav.
Dislikes - Probably just being wrong. He's the kind that can't really take it too well. ^_^;

While Ash was visiting the Petalburg Gym, where he lives, Max kept hinting around about wanting to travel, etc. Right before May and Ash left, Norman (their dad) asked if it would be alright if Max came along too. Their mother seemed to like the idea too, (so she wouldn't have to worry about him) and everyone else agreed, so that's it! Norman also gave Max a Pok? Nav, and May and Ash got two badge cases.

I hope this helped. ^_^ If you have any more questions then feel free to ask! By the way, I'm going to move this to Pokemon TV Shows and Movies. It's more related to the Anime. *moved*

Last edited:

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
Years
Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...Spoiler alert...

She is just as clumsy with Pok?mon when Ash was in the beginning. Example:
Ash: Hee, look a Pokemon.
May: It's cute, I want it.
Ash: Try and catch it.
May: Okay
* Tosses an empty Pokeball.

1. Is May the new Misty?
From my perspective (after watching 59 episode), she isn't. Misty wanted to be a water-Pok?mon master and Brock wants to be a Pok?mon breeder. Beside a few episodes, you never really see them trying to become a water-Pok?mon master or Pok?mon breeder. As for May wanting to be a really good Pok?mon Coordinator (a trainer who participate in a Pok?mon Contest): she actually starts catching a Pok?mon, train it and let it evolve to eventually participate in a Contest. Due to the fact that she is participating in Contests, the amount of filler episodes has dropped.

May: She likes to travel a lot. May didn't like Pokemon at first. She did became a trainer and used it as an excuse so she could travel to many places. After a few episodes May finds out that there are more to Pokemon than meets the eye.

Max knows a lot of Pokemon, he has read many books about Pokemon (which makes him kinda like a walking Pokedex). But Ash sometimes suprises Max. As you might know Ash uses his intuition, rather than knowlegde in a battle. It happens so often that Ash manage to pull things off in a Pokemon battle that contradicts what Max know. So Max realizes that some things can't be learned from books.

Unown_

Years
Here's an other one from May's first battle:

May: I'm going to battle with my Torchic.
Brock: Let the battle begin.
May: Torchic, start attacking.
Torchic: *sweatdrop* ???
May: What's wrong? Go on, attack. *Points toward the opponent*
may.txt

Ash: It doesn't work that way. You have to tell Torchic what attack it must use.
May: *sweatdrop*

Brian Powell

Have a nice day!
Years
I looked at the picture in unown's signature message and I'm guessing...

Ash's pokemon are: Pikachu (Obviously :P ), Groovyle, Crawdaunt.
May's pokemon are: Torchic, Beautifly and Lotad
Max's: Mudkip
Brock's: Forretress

Are those right?

Rifted

Let's positive thinking!
Years
Well, you're right, but you're a bit off.

Ash: Pikachu, Treeko, Corphish.
May: Torchic and Beautifly.
Max: None.
Brock: Mudkip, Lotad, Forretress.

*SPOILER ALERT!*

Brock, as you can see, actually becomes both a Rock and Water type trainer due to complications back at the Pewter City Gym when he returns there. As for what kind of complications, you'll just have to wait and see (that is, if they release the special episode in which that happens).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2006
Rifted said:
Well, you're right, but you're a bit off.

Ash: Pikachu, Treeko, Corphish.
May: Torchic and Beautifly.
Max: None.
Brock: Mudkip, Lotad, Forretress.

*SPOILER ALERT!*

Brock, as you can see, actually becomes both a Rock and Water type trainer due to complications back at the Pewter City Gym when he returns there. As for what kind of complications, you'll just have to wait and see (that is, if they release the special episode in which that happens).

You forgot to say that Ash also has Tailow.

I dont think May and Max are anything alike.. Tell tell me something alike betwteen May and Max.

Unown_

Years
Her sisters won a world cruise and the phoned Misty that she has to look out after the gym. The sisters hung up before Misty even could object.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
okay...to stop confusion

In America (up to episode Brave the Wave):
Ash has Pikachu, Taillow, and Treecko
Brock has Forretress and Lotad
May has Torchic and Wurmple

In Japan (up to episode with lombre and solrock, i foget the name)
Ash has Pikachu, Taillow, Treecko, Corphish, and Torkoal
Brock has Forretress, Lombre, and Mudkip
May has Torchic, Beautifly, and Skitty

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2006
tmbjr said:
okay...to stop confusion

In America (up to episode Brave the Wave):
Ash has Pikachu, Taillow, and Treecko
Brock has Forretress and Lotad
May has Torchic and Wurmple

In Japan (up to episode with lombre and solrock, i foget the name)
Ash has Pikachu, Taillow, Treecko, Corphish, and Torkoal
Brock has Forretress, Lombre, and Mudkip
May has Torchic, Beautifly, and Skitty

Cool, Brock's Lotad evolved.. And I can imagine May having all the cute pokemon.

Years
Legendary Trainer said:
1. May is twice as dumb as Ash.
She isn't really dumb, she just lacks common sense. Really lacks common sense.
I don't think she dislikes battles, since she battling is part of the anime contests. However, I think she pretty much enters contests to show off.
3. Max goes to Pokemon school in Rustboro.
No, he just goes there for one day as part of Gym Leader Roxanne's special offer.
May is pretty much just like the cliche'd magical girl/ schoolgirl personality (no offence May fans - I'm obviously not one of them), only she isn't a tomboy and she's...well, less honest than most of the protagonists of the show. She guilt trips, makes excuses, etc. Max is really smart, likes to show off even more than May does, and isn't the most sensitive person around. Meaning, he doesn't really care about upsetting people or making them angry. But he really is a kind person, as show in the upcoming sixth movie, even if he is a little bratty.
1. Is May the new Misty?
Not really, unless you consider them both nothing more than the official females of the show.
May dislikes hard work, pokemon at first, and being critisized. Max dislikes being wrong.
He just wanted to go on adventures, kind of like May (except that he acutally likes pokemon and wants to learn about them).

Last edited:
Years
1. May was never into Pok?mon in the first place, but Ash was when he started, so I'd say that they'd be about the same if May had SOME knowledge of Pok?mon!

2. May really never wanted to have Pok?mon battles, just to travel. After finding out about contests, she was hooked on being a Pok?mon Coordinator.

3. I'm suprised he didn't attend the school full time, but yes, he only went for one class for a day.

4. May is the girly one (shopping, clothes, buying stuff in general...) and Max is the knowledgeable one (almost like Brock)

Now for your questions...

1. I will have to kill somebody if May were the new Misty if my head doesn't suddenly explode!!! May has way too much in common with Ash and I think that ruins the whole point of a relationship!

2. Well, both like food (Brock said almost like Ash? I really think that Brock would have to bring a truck to fill those supplies!) and Pok?mon after a while. May seems to have almost no tolerance of walking and Max hates admiting he's wrong.

3. Max joined because his sister went with Ash. I think that May and Max sorta have to be together since their personalities sorta balance each other out; they can't be on their own. (curse English class for teaching me this!!!)

Back