• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Movie Themes!

Years
Not what the plot is about or pop songs over the ending credits. I'm talking about those central pieces of the movie score.

What are some of your favorites? What do you think are some of the most iconic, well-recognized themes? What makes a good theme? What other questions should be in this post that I can't think of?

One of the best themes I've heard has got to be He's a Pirate from Pirates of the Caribbean. It's immediate recognizable, fun, and fits the movie perfectly. I can't say it's my absolute favorite, but it's up there in the top ten for sure.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Omg, He's a Pirate. Such a goooooood song! omg! xD

I also like the one of Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Superman, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, GhostBusters and finally Rocky

I would say what makes a theme song so wonderful is that when you hear it, it automatically reminds of one specific movie. When you hear it, you start humming or singing along and a song that gives you the chills everytime you hear it because of how awesome it sounds. That's what defines an awesome theme song for me :)

And those are the most memorable ones I could remember for now, there's probably a ton more I've forgotten.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Omg, He's a Pirate. Such a goooooood song! omg! xD

I also like the one of Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Superman, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, GhostBusters and finally Rocky

I would say what makes a theme song so wonderful is that when you hear it, it automatically reminds of one specific movie. When you hear it, you start humming or singing along and a song that gives you the chills everytime you hear it because of how awesome it sounds. That's what defines an awesome theme song for me :)

And those are the most memorable ones I could remember for now, there's probably a ton more I've forgotten.
Ghostbusters has such an underrated score

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I'll just dump these lovely themes here:
Spoiler:

All such great scores, truly!

There are many, many more I could choose from, but I'll leave that up to you guys!
Also, just for the record, pretend I included everything Hans Zimmer has ever done, thanks.

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
Years
For disney lovers out here just like me *A*.
My favourite movie+soundtrack:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I'd obviously pick my favourite score, from one of my favourite films, but honestly Blade Runner's score is just perfect.

John William's "Leaving Hogwarts" unforgettable moments of both the first and last films.

and ofc "One Ring to Rule Them All"

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm not one to remember movie scores (since, well, I don't usually pay attention; I just keep listening XD), however John William's work on the Harry Potter series had always been stuck in my head ever since I watched the first movie. This one particularly:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Bernard Hermannn FTW! I'mma let everyone finish, but Psycho, Taxi Driver and Vertigo are the best film scores of ALL! TIME! (And now that I've finished my Kanye-at-the-VMAs impression, I'll shut up now.)

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
I think the lord of the rings music is very iconic. Music is very important in movies, do you think Indiana Jones would fo been as fun without that music? Or star wars? hm hm hmhm hm hmhm hm hmhm (that was me trying to hum starwars through the internet I doubt it worked though) but as for what makes it good, don't really know. I guess its because it does not sound like background music. Lots of music in movies today is just there to provide ambiance, but this music had melody's and such and I guess that was why it was more successful maybe?

Years
I just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness and I have to say that I love the new theme and the old theme!

New Theme:
Spoiler:

Original Theme:
Spoiler:

Houndour2005

Banned
Years
Heino, Blau Blüht Der Enzian.

This was the song from a movie from 1973 when I was born.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness and I have to say that I love the new theme and the old theme!

New Theme:
Spoiler:

Original Theme:
Spoiler:

I have to agree with you on how good they are (haven't seen Into Darkness though). If anything I prefer the Star Trek theme to Star Wars. Or at least any of the pieces you can get off iTunes.

Transformers - Arrival to Earth. This has got to be one of my favourites ever. This particular version is slightly different to the version I have on iTunes, but still great.

"Raider's March" from Indiana Jones is a classic, and some of the Dark Knight Rises pieces are pretty good as well, such as "Rise", "Imagine the Fire" and "The Fire Rises" although if you didn't know the context they probably wouldn't come off that well. I heard Arrival to Earth the other day and couldn't remember what it was in, just knew it was great.

Also, not a piece exactly, more of a song, but "Django" from the Django Unchained soundtrack is pretty darn good.

Just going to put out two more links: At World's End from Pirates of the Caribbean. Loved playing that with my school orchestra. When it suddenly speeds up you just get kinda excited xD. And Oh Yeah from Ferris Bueller. It's basically used as a theme.

Back