• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Radiant Sunrise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Hi, everyone! This is my first Pokemon Fangame that I've been working on without in-classroom guidance in Unity(a 3d game development program I used for my classes for the last year), so please go easy on me. Actually, on second thought, please don't. I'd like to keep moving forward and would rather not be spared when I'm trying to improve. :P

BambooVillagecopy.png
The Story Thus Far
Our story takes place in the region of Tohoku, where the Pokemon Battling circuit has progressed to the point where only completing the challenges of eight gyms will no longer cut it. Now, challengers must take on at least eight of the ten established gyms and climb to the top of Mt. Tohoku, where the Pokemon League Challenge takes place over a boiling lake of lava. If that trainer can best both the Elite Four and the extreme conditions, the famous Travelling Champion Michael will land his airship to challenge the aspiring challenger to a final battle in the clouds. You are one such determined trainer, beginning their journey in the hot, wet Bamboo Forest in the northern part of the region. Who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky.

PortCobaltcopy.png
Features
These are features that I guarantee the game will have upon completion:

• Fully 3d Pokemon game, similar to Pokemon Colosseum or XD gameplay and graphic-wise(not story-wise, though ;) )
  • A brand-new region to explore with several unique locations such as a rain forest, a ghost town, and a massive valley.
  • A nonlinear gym storyline in which you are presented multiple times with choices as to which gym to challenge.
These are features I'd like to implement, but they take a lower priority if I lose patience with them so that I may drop them as I see fit:

• Customizable characters.
  • Minigames.
  • Secret Bases and a Tohoku Underground(Goes along with the Multiplayer Interactions, but I thought it deserved its own spot since it'll be different and maybe a bit harder to implement.)
  • Multiplayer interactions(Something along the lines of a Union Room, but no GTS)
  • New Fakemon(I'd like to create some, but I'd rather make sure I got the real 493+ to work before that)
  • 5th Gen Pokemon(This would take priority over fakemon, but I have no guarantees that it'd happen)
PyriteHarborcopy.png
Visuals
You know you just had to see them when I said the magic word "3d," didn't you? Unfortunately, they aren't much to look at right now and I'd rather get things working with dummy graphics(just a pill-shaped object as a placeholder) before I start using real models. If I find a particularly flashy part of the game that I need to work on right away, I'll be adding a screenshot as soon as possible. Everybody needs eyecandy.
TitleScreenWSunflora.png

It's a bit of a bland title screen right now, but I may change it before this project's through. This is by no means finalized. In fact, the logo may change before we finish.
TestTerrain.png

A test of Unity's Terrain engine. It's nowhere near the same quality as what I'd use for the actual Tohoku region map, and I'm almost considering making said map as pixel art. We'll see what happens, I suppose.

Concept Art:

The heroes:
Coming soon

Trainers:
Businesswoman
Cooltrainer

Gym Leaders:
Coming soon

CoralTowncopy.png
The Team
Java's Missingno.
Anubus
Phoenix of Chaos
Vye Brante
KevinBurglar
shiniren
KingCharizard

MtTohokuBasaltTowncopy.png
Credits
-Nintendo for the brilliance that started it all
-Myself for programming and game design, along with the logo.
-Kevinburglar, KingCharizard, and shiniren for programming
-Anubus for concept art
-Phoenix of Chaos for music
-Unity3d for the default graphics used and for making such a wonderfully simple program that even I can use it!

Last edited:

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 25, 2012
Nice, Ill check it up sometimes.
Keep it up !

Gigatom~

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Nice, Ill check it up sometimes.
Keep it up !

Gigatom~
Thanks! I'll be sure to keep the thread updated as frequently as possible.

like the idea so far, To improve the title screen add some pokemon on the hills or something
I definitely will. Right now, though, I'm debating whether or not to go ahead and select a mascot Pokemon since I don't have any plans involving legendaries in the main storyline, and if I do, I'm going to avoid the whole "TITLE SCREEN LEGENDARY RAMPAGES THROUGH REGION" plot. I'm open to suggestions for the mascot at this point, and would appreciate any input in that regard.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Looks really interesting. What kind of Pokemon are you interested in making the Mascot?
I'm not entirely sure yet, to be honest. I'd prefer to steer clear of even using a legendary for the mascot because it's been done since Gold and Silver and wears a little thin on me.

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
The updated title screen:
TitleScreenWSunflora.png

Does anyone think that I should add sunflowers or something to the background?

Also, if for any reason you dislike any aspect of this project, please feel free to express such opinions in this thread. We aim to please with this game, and would like as many people as possible to be satisfied with it as it progresses. Negative critique is appreciated as help towards improving as much as praise is appreciated to assure that we're on the right track.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2010
Well everyone, I have officially joined Java and his friends in making his fangame. Wish me luck.

Iarama

RMXP User
Years
Looks pretty cool I'll be watching I think the logo in your sig is better than the other one are you going to use that instead Java?

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Um.. the logos are the same between my sig and the screenshots. The only difference is that the screenshots are resized because they're in a fullscreen game.

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
At least nothing on the visible side of things. We're working more on overall functionality than graphical side of things at the moment. (Part of that can be attributed to a lack of concept art at the moment, but I'm working on a new Tohoku map from scratch that uses a bit of a cartoony style.)

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
At least nothing on the visible side of things. We're working more on overall functionality than graphical side of things at the moment. (Part of that can be attributed to a lack of concept art at the moment, but I'm working on a new Tohoku map from scratch that uses a bit of a cartoony style.)

I get the feeling that will change shortly, well keep up the good work. Scripting wise you have made alotta progress.

Amarantine

The psychic baritone ♠
Years
A 3d Pokémon game! sounds really nice. The story sounds cool, too. The ghost town idea killed me. I have to see it and play in it! Best of luck with it and hopefully i would like to play the demo sometime!

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
A 3d Pokémon game! sounds really nice. The story sounds cool, too. The ghost town idea killed me. I have to see it and play in it! Best of luck with it and hopefully i would like to play the demo sometime!

When you say it killed you, do you mean that positively or negatively? I can see it going either way, to be honest. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back