• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Trio-Species Challenge (Revived)

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
OK, time for an update! I'm gonna try to give my Pokemon personalities.

Picked to play as a girl
Heard the introductory speech
Named myself TriPKMNgl (short for Tri Pokemon girl)
Got a Pokegear!
Picked Totodile as my starter Pokemon, it seems eager to show off to me
Nicknamed Totodile Crocigator
Got a Potion
Entered Cherrygrove
Crocigator learned Rage
Got a Map Card
Met Mr. Pokemon
Got the Mystery Egg
Met Prof. Oak
Got a Pokedex
Got a Berry
Beat ???
Named ??? Big Luz (Short for big loser)
Gave Prof. Elm the Mystery Egg
Got 5 Pokeballs
Refused to learn how to catch Pokemon (I've learnt enough times, thank you)
Entered Violet City
Crocigator learned Water Gun, it likes to show off it's new move
Caught Growlithe, it seems it wants to be the only one to recieve my affection
Nicknamed Growlithe Blaze Dawg
Blaze Dawg learned Ember, it seems to think that I'll give it more affection now
Beat Sage Li
Got HM05 Flash

VS Falkner!
VS Pidgey:
Blaze Dawg used Ember, Pidgey used Mudslap
Blaze Dawg used Ember, Pidgey fainted

VS Pidgeotto:
Blaze Dawg used Ember(burn caused),Pideotto used Gust
Pidgeotto used Gust, Blaze Dawg used Ember(missed)
Blaze Dawg used Ember, Pidgeotto fainted

Got the Zephyr Badge!
Got TM31 Mud Slap
Got a Pokemon Egg!
Got a Miracle Seed!
Saved in the Pokecenter near Union Cave

PS: Can I switch Jolteon for Magneton? I can't get a Thunderstone until late in the game, and I don't wanna use an Eevee up to then. I will nickname Magneton Magnetri(Magnet+Tri).

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
Update 1:

Started the game.
Named myself Zero.
Named my rival Gary.
Chose Squirtle.
Obliterated his Bulbasaur.
Did the Oak's Parcel stuff.
Bought 5 Poké Balls.
Caught Rattata.
Saved outside of the Viridian City Pokémon Center

Current Team:
Spoiler:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Well this sucks, I thought I updated already but my edit post didn't get saved....????? Anyway the first part is what I had there, the second part is what I've done since then.

Quick n dirty:
  • Cleared Mt. Moon, taught Machop Mega Punch, and it learned Low Kick FTW.
  • Crushed Gary and then Nugget Road on the way to Bill's house where I got the SS ticket., Machop evolved into Machoke. Obtained a Charmander on the way.
  • Decided to get Magikarp before taking on Misty, went down to Vermilion, got a Bike Voucher and the Old Rod, caught a Magikarp at L5.
  • Went back and fought Misty, barely beat Starmie with my L28 Machoke due to X Defend and Harden stalling Machoke, got some crits with Karate Chop to earn the Cascade Badge and the Bubblebeam TM.
  • Went back down to Vermilion City and the SS Anne. Was cruising along with Machoke until a Tentacruel confused him and neglected to heal him - Ended up blacking out as I wasn't sure when I had last saved it.
  • Played more cautiously and cruised the rest of the way, the Rival was no match as he still had several Normal-type Pokemon. Got Cut and taught it to Charmander.
  • Challenged Lt. Surge, who only has one Pokemon in the version (L28 Raichu) in order to match up with the anime, which I thought was lame. Earned the Thunder Badge and the ability to use Fly out of battle (wtf? A liitle early...), as well as the Thunderbolt TM.
Team Wes:
Spr_1y_129.png

Magikarp - L19
Splash
Tackle
Spr_1y_067.png

Machoke - L34
Karate Chop
Bide
Low Kick
Mega Punch
Spr_1y_025.png

Pikachu - L6
Thundershock
Growl
Tail Whip
Spr_1y_004.png

Charmander - L10
Scratch
Growl
Ember
Cut

Okay, so here's what I've done since I got since I gat the Thunder Badge. Will go back to paragraph form on the next update, this one will be bullets again as I don't want to make too big of a post.

Ultimate Trio-Species Challenge, Yellow for Kanto.

• So the next city was Lavender Town, which meant Rock Tunnel, which in turn meant Flash. I got to 10 Pokemon when Magikarp evolved, giving me the second member of my team! I taught it Bubblebeam right away.
  • Went through Diglett's Cave, got Flash and taught it to Pikachu.
  • Went back to Cerulean, cut the bush down and fought my way to Rock Tunnel. On the way there, taught Gyarados Body Slam, it learned Dragon Rage, and taught Dig to Machoke.
  • Eventually got to Lavender Town, fought Gary and won, then made my way over to Celadon at last. Went to the store and the rooftop and got Ice Beam as well two other TMs I eventually sold, both being useless.
  • Exposed the Rocket Hideout and cleared it out, netting myself the Sliph Scope and Giovanni's ire. Also faced off against...
    jessejames1.png

Jesse and James again.
  • Went back to Lavender Town, fought my way through Pokemon Tower, and on the top floor, faced off against...
    jessejames.png

Jesse and James again! Their team was evolved now, but still no match.
  • On the top floor, caught a L28 Gastly named Royal.
  • Am currently fight the Channelers that I skipped on the way up, then will rescue Mr. Fuji when I'm done. Cold, I know :D.

Team Wes:

Spr_1y_130.png

Gyarados - L36
Body Slam
Dragon Rage
Bite
Bubblebeam
Spr_1y_067.png

Machoke - L39
Rock Slide
Dig
Low Kick
Mega Punch
Spr_1y_092.png

Royal (Gastly) - L28
Lick
Confuse Ray
Night Shade
Hypnosis
Spr_1y_004.png

Charmander - L10
Scratch
Growl
Ember
Cut
Spr_1y_025.png

Pikachu - L6 (boxed)
Thundershock
Growl
Tail Whip
Flash

I'm gonna have to hack trade for Machamp and Gengar, as I am using an emulator...

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Ok, first REAL update.

Spoiler:

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
I figured out my sve got deleted so.. I'm dropping out. Might do this later on though

:(

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Here we go. Not much has happened, but I'm gonna be doing other stuff for a bit so I thought I would update.

I hope some more people start doing this challenge, it's working out pretty well and its more fun if your posts are spread out farther lol.

Back to the paragraph format.

So after I beat the rest of the trainers in Pokemon Tower, Royal evolved into Haunter (originally evolves at L25, I caught him overleveled...) and I taught it Thunderbolt so it could do damage against the many Normal types in the game. Went down south and killed the Snorlax, then came back up and went back to Celadon City to get a few things.

The first thing I got was the Rainbow Badge. No one could touch Royal in there due to his secondary Poison typing, and my only concern was whether I would run of of PP. Defeated Erica easily (Confuse Ray is AWESOME) and got my fourth badge! The second thing I got was HM02, Fly, which I forgot to get the first time, and taught it to a Pidgey that was stashed in my box. Then I went west and killed the second Snorlax, so I could finally deposit that annoying Pokeflute. The third thing was to get a Fresh Water from the Rooftop. Gave that to the gaurds, and it was time to conquer Saffron City!!!

The first thing I did there was grab Psychic from Mr. Psychic (totally awesome moment every time I go there) and taught it to Royal, as it was a better move than the Dream Eater it would try to learn in a few levels due to Dream Eater needing Hypnosis to work first. Confuse Ray is better than Hypnosis as it's way more accurate, and I wanted to keep Night Shade. Raped the Fighting Dojo with Royal, then picked Hitmonchan and boxed him. Now I am inside Sliph Co. getting ready to terrorize Team Rocket. I still don't think any other villian comes close to Team Rocket, especially with Giovanni at its head, and the Sliph Co. building with all of its warp tiles has never been equalled by any other "hideout" yet.

I have used Royal almost exclusively since my last update, so he's the only one who has changed on my team, along with the new addition of Pidgey.

Keep forgetting to rename my Pokemon - will do so after Sliph Co. (won't rename Pikachu though, and this is the last time I will list him), and will also evolve Machoke and Haunter after Sliph Co. as well :D.

Team Wes:

Spr_1y_093.png

Royal (Haunter) - L37
Thunderbolt
Confuse Ray
Night Shade
Psychic

Spr_1y_130.png

Gyarados - L36
Body Slam
Dragon Rage
Bite
Bubblebeam

Spr_1y_067.png

Machoke - L39
Rock Slide
Dig
Low Kick
Mega Punch
Spr_1y_004.png

Charmander - L10
Scratch
Growl
Ember
Cut
Spr_1y_016.png

Pidgey - L15
Gust
Sand-Attack
Quick Attack
Fly
Spr_1y_025.png

Pikachu - L6 (boxed)
Thundershock
Growl
Tail Whip
Flash

Also, if you didn't catch the update on the first post, I am willing to make custom userbars for Ultimate challengers. Just PM me with your team. I have a custom one in my sig for reference.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2011
Challenge update! 

Game: Platinum
Player: Ashley
Badges: 1
Time: 2:17

Team:
Oscar (Grotle): Level 18 (m)
Tackle
Absorb
Razor Leaf
Curse

Archie (Machop): Level 14
Low Kick
Leer
Focus Energy
Karate Chop

Bidoof (Hm slave)

The first gym was insanely easy to beat with Oscar. Roark didn't get a hit in. I'm after getting the Works key and unlocking the door. I plan on teaching both Oscar and Archie some new moves and leveling them up some more before I continue on the next gym. 

I'm not looking forward to facing Gardenia...  

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Second update.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2010
I'm going to post here before I go to bed. I'm playing pokemon heartgold, and I'm using golem (yes, I'm fairly sure I can trade a graveler and get it back to get a golem), gyarados, and typhlosion.

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Update #2

-Headed south to Vermillion City
-After 7 consecutive misses, Power one shotted a trainer's Butterfree with Rock Tomb and evolved.
-Battled a Youngster with a Nidoran M on the SS Aqua, got Brick Break, Power got poisoned, decided I'd avoid every other trainer seeing as it was gonna be difficult enough to get Courage and Wisdom up to the same level as Power...
-Replaced Karate Chop with Brick Break, potioned up and battled Ganon
-Swept him with Guts boosted Brick Breaks and Rock Tombs
-Got HM01, taught it to Paras
-Healed up and headed to the gym
-Swept Lt. Surge with Brick Break
-Got the Thunder Badge
Team:
Power/Machoke Lv.30
-Brick Break
-Rock Tomb
-Leer
-Focus Energy

-Went through Rock Tunnel, replaced Rock Tomb with Rock Slide while I was there.
-Headed to Celadon City and grabbed Courage the Eevee.
-Went to the Game Corner, played the slots for Iron Tail and Shadow Ball. Evolved Courage and taught him the TMs
-Courage swept through the Team Rocket hideout and Giovanni's team
-Got the Silph Scope, headed to Pokemon Tower, swept it with Courage again.
-Got the Pokeflute, headed south and got TM27
-KOd Snorlax because I ran out of pokeballs (Would've made a nice HM slave)
-Went to Fuchsia City and entered the gym
-Courage swept through Koga's team with Iron Tail and Shadow Ball
-Got the Soul Badge
Team:
Courage/Flareon Lv.40
-Dig
-Shadow Ball
-Bite
-Iron Tail
Power/Machoke Lv.38
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Focus Energy
-Leer

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Very small update. I have cleared out Sliph Co, which is way funner in the original than the remakes with the warp tiles lol. Giovanni was a pushover - Psychic is awesome.
Some highlights:

Spoiler:

After beating Giovanni, I deposited the Lapras I got (named Shippy), then went back to Lavender Town and renamed my Pokemon and evolved Machoke (now Biff) and Royal into Machamp and Gengar. New team is below, with new names as well. Am about to challenge the Saffron Gym.

Team Wes:

Spr_1y_130.png

Fangor (Gyarados) - L41
Body Slam
Dragon Rage
Hydro Pump
Bubblebeam

Spr_1y_068.png

Biff (Machamp) - L42
Rock Slide
Dig
Low Kick
Mega Punch

Spr_1y_094.png

Royal (Gengar) - L42
Thunderbolt
Confuse Ray
Night Shade
Psychic
Spr_1y_004.png

Slasher (Charmander) - L10
Scratch
Growl
Ember
Cut
Spr_1y_016.png

WrightBros (Pidgey) - L15
Gust
Sand-Attack
Quick Attack
Fly

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Major major major update.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Update #3

-Headed to the Safari Zone, fished up a temporary surf slave, got HM03 and the Warden's teeth
-Got HM04
-Headed back to Celadon via Lavender Town (forgot to get the bike...)
-Caught Wisdom, the level 33 Tentacool. Gave her a rare candy and she evolved.
-Gambled up TM13, Ice Beam. Taught it to Wisdom, then hit the gym.
-Swept Erika's team with Wisdom's Ice Beam
-Got the Rainbow Badge
Team:
Courage/Flareon Lv.41
-Dig
-Shadow Ball
-Bite
-Iron Tail
Power/Machoke Lv.39
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Focus Energy
-Leer
Wisdom/Tentacruel Lv.35
-Ice Beam
-Bubblebeam
-Surf
-Acid

-Headed to Saffron City. Swept through Silph Co with Wisdom, got the Master Ball
-Gym time! Courage swept Sabrina's team with Shadow Ball after an X-Speed.
-Got the Marsh Badge
Team:
Courage/Flareon Lv.42
-Dig
-Shadow Ball
-Bite
-Iron Tail
Power/Machoke Lv.41
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Focus Energy
-Submission
Wisdom/Tentacruel Lv.39
-Ice Beam
-Barrier
-Surf
-Acid

Last edited:

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
PS: Can I switch Jolteon for Magneton? I can't get a Thunderstone until late in the game, and I don't wanna use an Eevee up to then. I will nickname Magneton Magnetri(Magnet+Tri).
The bold writing above and next to this sentence. If I can't switch for Magneton, can I at least switch for Umbreon? Umbreon will be nicknamed Moonlight.

I don't think I can do this challenge because PlayR is being a pain. Sorry guys!
It didn't let me on yesterday either. It's letting me on today, so, time for... Update #2!
Battled my way through Union Cave
Got TM39!
Entered Azalea Town
Met Kurt
Learned about Team Rocket
Ridded the Slowpoke Well of Team Rocket
Got a Lure Ball
Beat all the Gym Trainers
Crocigator evolved into Croconaw! It seems to be showing of it's new form.
Healed up

VS Bugsy!

VS Metapod:
Blaze Dawg used Ember, Metapod fainted
Switched to Crocigator

VS Scyther:
Scyther used Leer, Crocigator used Water Gun
Scyther used Fury Cutter, Crocigator used Water Gun
Scyther used Fury Cutter, Crocigator fainted
Scyther used Fury Cutter, Blaze Dawg used Ember, Scyther fainted

VS Kakuna:
Kakuna used Harden, I used a Potion on Blaze Dawg
Blaze Dawg used Ember, Kakuna fainted

Winner: Me, Crocigator and Blaze Dawg!

Got the Hive Badge
Got TM49

Team:

Crocigator, Croconaw,
LV18, Male,
Scratch,Leer, Rage, Water Gun

Blaze Dawg, Growlithe,
LV17, Male,
Bite, Roar, Ember

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Aaaaaand I'm done!

Final update:

Spoiler:

And an overview of how each Pokemon did.

Floatzel: Floatzel began as the underdog of the team, not sporting enough speed to overcome Staraptor and not having good enough defenses and attack to surpass Torterra. He grew, however, into the MVP. Floatzel nailed all the Pokemon that would otherwise completely destroy me fast and hard. I would have never made it past Barry in Canalave City if it weren't for his Aqua Jet owning Infernape. Overall, Floatzel was the best Pokemon on this team and basically won the E4 for me.

Staraptor: Staraptor was a powerhouse from the start, and still is. The thing helped me out so much during the course of the story, it's not even funny. Staraptor was a fast and powerful threat to any that stood in my way, and those who stood in my way were devastated by Staraptor's awesomeness. Overall, Staraptor was an invaluable Pokemon that should be a staple on everyone's team in game.

Torterra: Torterra started out as a little Turtwig as my starter, but grew into a freaking beast with patience and grinding. Torterra was able to take multiple hits and retaliate with great attacks. Although he lacked speed, he made up for it with his defenses (Which my team would lack without him). Even though he didn't do very well at the E4, Torterra was one of my favorite team members that pleased me every time I sent him out.

So, I'm done with my challenge! I might do another challenge with my Ruby version, but I'm not sure yet.

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
@ WeightyWillBill
Can I have Twilight the Umbreon? (Yeah, I decided to change the name)

On Topic: Update Three

VS Big Luz

VS Gastly:
Crocigator used Water Gun(critical hit!), Gastly fainted!

Switched to Blaze Dawg

VS Bayleef:
Bayleef used an Attack(didn't record it),Blaze Dawg used Ember
Bayleef used Razor Leaf, Blaze Dawg used Ember
Bayleef used Razor Leaf, Blaze Dawg used Ember, Bayleef fainted!

VS Zubat
Blaze Dawg used Ember, Zubat used Supersonic (Blaze Dawg is Confused)
Blaze Dawg used Ember, Zubat used Bite
Blaze Dawg hurt itself in Confusion, Zubat used Bite
Blaze Dawg hurt itself in Confusion, Blaze Dawg fainted
Crocigator used Water Gun, Zubat fainted!

Winner: Me!

LOLed when I saw a Psyduck in Ilex Forest
Got puzzled trying to solve the Farfetch'd puzzle
Finally solved the Farfetch'd Puzzle
Got HM01 Cut!
Blaze Dawg learned Leer! It seems excited to learn a new move.
Caught Cutta! the Oddish
Taught Cutta! Cut
Got through Ilex Forest
Got TM12
Saved on Rt 34

Back