• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Was Team Rocket more bad-a**in kanto or unova or different region ?

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I like the old rocket, a bit of immature stupid humor in every episode, it cheers you up

Detwak

Meh.
Years
They were Great in the first few episodes in Kanto. But after that it all went down the drain. Untill Unova, where they started suceeding, wearing that black outfit was so awesome! It's just ashame they went back to the usual white outfit...

Sukisu

Dark Trainer
Years
It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to even try as say that Jessie, James, and Meowth are "badass" but in kanto they were better imo b/c more hilarity and "what the...." moments. So what they have become in the Unova region is just sad really.

Lifesolstice

Magikarp Tail
Years
In my own opinion, I say it's while they are in Unova. In Kanto they were "badass", too, but Unova... jetpacks... secret underground missions..
Unova = "badass" Team Rocket.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Unova definitely. They were "badass" in the first few episode of Kanto, but soon after they weren't so much. They became comic relief characters for most of the series. Then in Unova they got jetpacks and had special missions . They no longer were just going after Pikachu. It gives alot more character and makes them cooler.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Though I miss their everyday blast-off, it is far better that they do decent plans now... Even though they keep failing to get away (I shall keep rooting for them!)

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
I liked the new team rocket more... they have actual plans and started chasing something other than some kid's pikachu.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2013
I think TR has definitely gotten more successful in Unova although i think they might have gotten from one extreme to the other. They went from complete failures, that did nothing but provide comic relief and give reasons for some of Ash and co's pokemon to evolve(or trust them more) , to just plain evil (meowth by far with the way he tricked them for quite awhile just to betray them) and lacking in personality. How on earth did James go from oversensitive and loving of his pokemon to how he is in Unova? Did Giovanni have them mentally 'conditioned' after Sinnoh?

Personally i would rather see some mix of how they were in Sinnow / hoenn and Unova. Actually having their personalities back but suceeding sometimes by not always chasing pikachu.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
Excuse, me. The title of this thread that you posted should never contain any foul languages at all, because it's inappropriate for kids. Won't you please read the rules that you should follow?

Guy

just a guy
Years
At the beginning of Unova, I was excited for Team Rocket's new arc. However, their darker more mysterious antics began to feel stale and there was just no real reason to feel or care for what they were up to. Even though I was glad, and still am, that their attempts at stealing Pikachu and blasting off [again] had been retired, I missed their personalities. The anime may be targeted at a younger audience, but I feel like the writers and producers could have done a whole lot more with Team Rocket to balance their darker tones with the characters we knew them to be. If they had done that, then I feel like their attempt at a newer Team Rocket could have had more success and not be left with mixed feelings.

Hearing that the old, goofy, fail-at-everything Team Rocket will be back in Episode N doesn't make me feel too content though. I may have felt like Team Rocket's evil schemes may have gotten stale, but I'm not really ready to go back to their old ways entirely. I'd just prefer more of a balance. I felt like the very first couple of episodes of the Original Kanto series had done that well from what I remember.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Team Rocket was at their best in Unova, IMO, since they took their job a lot more seriously compared to other regions.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think Team Rocket is more serious and full of dedication to their boss when they're in Unova region. And IMO I currently prefer them to blasting off as they fly with jets professionally rather than blasting off awkwardly like in other regions, even though this time, that awkward blasting off returns again in Episode N.

Last edited:

digimonqueen

Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend
Years
TOTALLY Unova. have u see the latest episodes!?!? they're planning to catch "Ash's" Meloetta! and Ash doesn't even know. i was seething with rage when i heard what they were planning to do to it. i mean, all it wants is to stay with Ash. i can't BELIEVE Team Rocket would go this far. i bet Ash is gonna lose it completely.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
i haven't seen much of unova but they seemed pretty cool, in their new black costumes and all. and giovanni was actually taking them seriously. in sinnoh meowth with his "fury swipes of love" were pretty cool. other then that, unova without a doubt.

Last edited:

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Team Rocket's change was certainly nice since their regular routine was getting a bit stale, but I much prefer them when they're not doing anything Team Rocket-based at all like selling stuff or entering Contests. They're not bad people at heart.

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2013
I think their introduction in Kanto was great, the way it was thundering and lightning made it all seem scarier to have them there but then when they would start attacking in every episode they lost their threatening status which is what I liked in Unova how when they were shown it was always in dark, dingy tunnels or someplace at night. They brought back the fear and made them seem like real criminals, between important events that the group took part in it was TR's planning that would make me watch each episode to find out more which is something I've not felt with Pokemon for a long time. I think that the use of more rivals has certainly lessened the pressure on TR to be comedic so they could become dangerous again whilst Stephan and Bianca were providing the comedy. In every other region Ash has only ever had one major rival so TR were needed to be funny almost every episode.

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
Years
Poor Jessie, James, and Meowth! I always thought their purpose was to add humor in their constant failing attempts to steal Pikachu. To be honest, that's how I feel it should be. I always thought, though, wouldn't it be nice for them to win just once? I mean, not stealing Pikachu, but catching an epic Pokemon for their "boss". Poor team rocket (again):D

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
I feel like Team Rocket is there for irony since Pikachu really isn't that exceptional at all.

But yeah, they were way cooler in Kanto and Johto.

Back