• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Masterball

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
like most. i save them for roamers. i stockpile them also so i can catch them all in one little adventure. i dont think anything would be worse then coming across a shiny graveler without a masterball and the little ****** using self destruct. i dont think i could live with myself if that ever happened.

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
I always use the Master Ball for the first Legendary I meet.
I'm afraid I'll waste the Ultra Balls.

Savant

Natural Born Breeder
Years
I don't use it at all. In Emerald I kept it, cloned it and kept the clones unless it was something extremely annoying to catch.

Otherwise, I catch everything in Pokeballs. Even if it takes a million tries, I must use a Pokeball.

Years
I use it on a roamer. Everything else I can catch easily enough with some patience while roamers would make me want to rip my hair out. Saves me a lot of stress. :D

Years
I never really come around to actually using a Master Ball despite my insistence on saving it for an important Pokemon. In Emerald, though, I cloned like a dozen of them and I use it fairly often to catch those pesky legendaries.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I use my master ball on specific Pokemon depending on the game. In FR/LG and HG/SS, I use it on Mewtwo, it's just so suited for it. In D/P/Pt, I use it on Mesprit, again, it suits the Pokemon.
In R/S/E I don't use it at all, as well as B/W and B/W 2...

Uiriamu

The Gamer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
Eh usually i look up what legendaries are in the game I'm playing. i never seem to remember x.x. But then i just pick the one i like most and catch it haha xD (accidentaly liked my post...this phone annoys me sometimes)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 15, 2015
I prefer not to use Master Balls. I think it takes aay the feeling o. victory when you catch a legend.

The one time I did use a Master Ball was in FR when i was looking for Articuno. When a wild Dewgong kept using Sheer cold on me, I thought it was a legend and used the Master Ball. Then I saw Articuno.....

Savant

Natural Born Breeder
Years
I use it on a roamer. Everything else I can catch easily enough with some patience while roamers would make me want to rip my hair out. Saves me a lot of stress. :D

I can imagine that feeling. Even though I was tempted to use it on Volotos in White I just battled him once to paralyze him. Again to get him to 1hp with False Swipe and then every other encounter I just threw Pokeballs. I caught him on the tenth Pokeball.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
In Gen I I always felt that it was intended to be used on Mewtwo, so that's usually what I did (unless I felt like using the Missingno. glitch and then I have infinite Masterballs.. lol). In my Gen II games I always used them on Lugia or Ho-Oh. But pretty much any game that's come out since then I hold off on using the Masterball and try to use it on hard-to-catch Pokemon like the Roaming legendaries. Although ultimately, I try not to have to use it at all.

Red Viper

Pokémon Collector
Years
I always save them for a shiny, unless I have a Pokémon with False Swipe in my party. However... I haven't encountered much shinies since I started playing Pokémon :P

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Normally I don't use my Master Balls at all, I want to save them for the really rare shiny, 99.9% of my Master Balls won't be used. For every other Pokemon (even legendary) I'll use the other balls.

So far I only used 1 in my Black2 team, when I caught my shiny Mienfoo.

Years
I typically use the Master Ball on the iconic Pokémon of each game (with the exceptions being RBY and FRLG, as I caught Mewtwo with the Master Ball in those games).

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
My first Masterball may not have ever been used. I normally would probably have gone for Dialga, but I had no idea what I was doing- and my Staraptor 2HKO'd it.

I now prefer to save it, so I can SR for a shiny legendary (unless it's particularly easy to catch).

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
I save mine for such events as Legendaries and stuff... I've made the mistake of using it on Wild Pokemon...

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
I save the Masterball until I find a roaming Pokémon.

But then there's little I can do to capture any others that appear. Especially the ones that know moves like Roar.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
It varies. For LeafGreen it has to be Mewtwo - I buy into the pokéSpe explanation that it was designed for Mewtwo, even if you do receive it from Silph Co. (I think). In HeartGold I think it was probably used on Mewtwo again - same reason, plus I like the appearance of all the special apricorn balls (now really concerned that as it's been to Sinnoh and I've deleted my HG file that my Latias won't be in a Fast Ball). In Emerald it's for Rayquaza - tradition, first time I got that far I used the Master Ball when it was about to KO my last pokémon.
On Diamond and Platinum it gets more varied. On Diamond originally I used it on Dialga, same for Giratina on Platinum. However, on my current playthrough I used it on Mesprit. And on Platinum I'll probably use it on Cresselia, as unlike Latios, Latias and the legendary beasts I don't like them enough to go chasing around the region for hours.

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
In HG/SS I use it on Mewtwo just like everyone else. I don't use it in B/ but I use it on Kyurem in B2/W2. In D/P/Pt I use it on Giritina.

Back