• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hip-hop appreciation thread

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I see too many people bashing hip-hop all over the place so it's time we had a thread for people that like it. General discussion, talk about your favourites, etc.

Kanye West is the best of this generation, idc what anyone says he is the definition of hip-hop right now. Kid Cudi is good too, but only because he's like Kanye's less talented little brother.

Other favourites include Curren$y, OutKast, MF Doom, De La Soul, Immortal Technique, Cee-Lo Green, A Tribe Called Quest, Aesop Rock, Kno, Biggie Smalls and probably more I am forgetting. Some nice examples to show that hip-hop is not all about "drugs and sex" which is now quite a common belief.

Anyone who has not yet listened to Kanye's most recent album needs to go and do it right now.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Well, I've never been a fan of Kanye...don't know why - the only one of his songs I (knowingly, anyway) like is Supernova.

A lot of hip-hop I hear is either absolute rubbish, or not hip-hop - but that's just my opinion. Occasionally I hear something which is pretty good.

However, I quite like Cee Lo Green, and absolutely love Tinie Tempah, and to a lesser extent N-Dubz.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Aren't Tinie Tempah and N-Dubz just pop?

Anyway, I agree the genre does have a bit of a bad image but there is a lot of good about as well. Mos Def would be my all time favourite hip hop artist, Talib Kweli, Kanye West, Jay Z, Common, Slick Rick and Example before he went pop would be my favourites.

Haven't been listening to a lot of more recent music which is why i don't know about Tinie Tempah and so on.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
They're just popular hip-hop, although Tinie Tempah's a bit more electro than most, I'd still say it's hip-hop.

Years
Ah, I love Rap and Hip Hop. <3 So, I had to post. =P I may not have the BEST taste in it in some people's, but I do like it.

Kanye West is the best of this generation, idc what anyone says he is the definition of hip-hop right now. Kid Cudi is good too, but only because he's like Kanye's less talented little brother.

Anyone who has not yet listened to Kanye's most recent album needs to go and do it right now.

Kanye, gotta love that guy. <3 Oh, I like Kid Cudi, too.
I listened to Kayne's most recent albums, and I liked it. ^..^

I guess I'll throw in my favorite rapper list. =P Like I said, I'd probably don't have the best taste in rap and stuff like that to some people, but I still like it either way. I like; Eminem (New, old stuff, eh, I still like 'im), B.o.B (I like his album, The Adventures of Bobby Ray, but there's mixtapes I like as well), Dr. Dre, OutKast, Cee-lo Green, Lupe Fiasco, The Cool Kids, T.I, Wale, Nas, Ludacris, wow, there's a lot I like. Um, I kinda don't have a lot of female artist rappers I like. =x

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
Oh man, Kanye West's latest album was craaaaazy overrated but still a great piece of work. Kid Cudi is wackness though, to be completely honest.

Cee-Lo would be much better if he didn't insist so much on singing everything, he's a great singer, but a better rapper. And props for listening to Spitta, DOOM and 'Kast. All of them are great.

Kno is an AMAZING producer, it's a shame he's quitting. Death is Silent was one of the most overlooked albums of 2010.

Years
Oh man, Kanye West's latest album was craaaaazy overrated but still a great piece of work.

Worddd. Like honestly, what's up with the last couple minutes of Runaway.

Lauryn Hill. One of the most talented female emcees musicians, in my opinion.

Years
Hip-hop sucks. Even if some don't specifically sing about sex and drugs, the whole culture that surrounds it is terrible.

/thread

It's called the "Hip-hop appreciation thread" it's meant to appreciate, not bash or complain about it. =\ I'm pretty sure other music genres came from other bad or not so great cultures or areas as well.

Hip hop sucks to you, but not to everyone else. I'm pretty sure every genre of music has its good and bad sides to it. It depends on the person's music taste.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Haha, I just realised I forgot B.O.B. - I liked his duets with Hayley Williams and Bruno Mars.

Would Travie McCoy be classed as hip-hop? Billionaire is a brilliant song.

Oh, and I also quite like The Black Eyed Peas.

Somebody please tell me if these aren't hip-hop before I get ridiculed by the music snobs at my school :P

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
Worddd. Like honestly, what's up with the last couple minutes of Runaway.

Lauryn Hill. One of the most talented female emcees musicians, in my opinion.

Oh for sure, thats why the Nicki Minaj movement is pissin' me off. I can't believe someone would have the nerve to compare them.

And B.o.B, Travis McCoy and BEP can all essentially be classified as pop nowadays. Especially Travis McCoy and BEP. No hate to Gym Class Heroes or old BEP though.

Ayselipera

I've been with Kanye since the beginning and I shall stay by his side for eternity. Our bond is unbreakable and amazing and I have too many good memories to push him off to the side. His first two albums were the best in my opinion. Graduation took me a little while to like every song, but now I love it. Also his newest album is pretty good too and if you like Kanye West you should definitely listen to it. The only time I had a rocky period with him was with 808's and Heartbreaks. I was not feeling all the auto tune and I'm still trying my best to look at that album without being biased, but I'm still hung up on a few songs. D:

As for other favorites I like T.I., Biggie Smalls, Tupac, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, and I guess Drake is okay.

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2011
Go to youtube and look up WitnessRecollective
There is a humorous vid of him as a response to an "argument" but he's brilliant. I'm so glad he's unsigned here, there's a lot of talentless people making money, and not enough music. I am an avid fan and hope to promote him in my own way when I get stable. Unlike Kanye, I could consider him to be a lyrical genius. He doesn't have a whole lot up on Youtube, but you'll get a taste. People like him and Mos Def, and Saul Williams, just, mmmm.

saint paxton

Wat it do baby boo~
Years
I love hip hop.
so. much.

Some of my favorites are:
P.O.S., Eyedea (r.i.p.), kanye, weezy, atmosphere, aesop rock, brother ali, the roots, del the funkee homosapien/deltron 3030, etc. donnis and kid cudi are alright sometimes, too.

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
I love hip hop.
so. much.

P.O.S., Eyedea (r.i.p.), kanye, weezy, atmosphere, aesop rock, brother ali, the roots, del the funkee homosapien/deltron 3030, etc. donnis and kid cudi are alright sometimes, too.

Eh, I don't really like Donnis or Cudi at all. But the rest of that list is amazing.

I'm not trying to be sexist, but it's crazy to see a female that likes GOOD hip hop.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
Years
P.O.S. is amazing, he came to my town like once a month back when he was touring and everytime i wanted to see him but i never could.

i've been listening to kid cudi forever and i feel like i can really relate to his stuff. dilated peoples are amazing lyricists and big boi had the best album of last year imo

what i don't understand is what all the noise is about anybody from young money. lil wayne still goes on and on about the same things and that's really boring, drake has some good songs but gets stuck in all the lame club hits he makes, and minaj is just bleh

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Jay-Z and Kanye are the best ones going at the moment... Watch the Throne.
Lauryn Hill, Kid Cudi, Tech N9ne, and Nicki Minaj are some of my favorites too. Only rappers I actually own full albums from.

Btw, I don't care what anyone says. Nicki Minaj is doing her thing, she is something new and different and I feel like she's held her own against the boys all alone, surviving as really the only girl doing it right now. She's inspirational too, beyond the music and in it. If you have heard Pink Friday you'd know that it isn't all materialistic and sexual (really, none of the album is sexual). She is representing but when you're new people will always try and pick you apart.

Years
I love hip hop.
so. much.

Dope list, good taste. I agree with Mike.

Jay-Z and Kanye are the best ones going at the moment... Watch the Throne.
Lauryn Hill, Kid Cudi, Tech N9ne, and Nicki Minaj are some of my favorites too. Only rappers I actually own full albums from.

Btw, I don't care what anyone says. Nicki Minaj is doing her thing, she is something new and different and I feel like she's held her own against the boys all alone, surviving as really the only girl doing it right now. She's inspirational too, beyond the music and in it. If you have heard Pink Friday you'd know that it isn't all materialistic and sexual (really, none of the album is sexual). She is representing but when you're new people will always try and pick you apart.
Yeah, definitely know what you mean. I don't agree with some of the things she says (whatever) but I definitely don't think she deserves all the hate she gets.

And at the risk of being flamed, I'm gonna say one thing; Eminem is waaay overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love Em. But c'mon... have you heard some of his later music? Like, it's not bad but no where near anything he had pre-2008. That's what I think, at least.

saint paxton

Wat it do baby boo~
Years
Hey, thanks. Hahaha.

I've never liked eminem. I don't doubt that he's talented, but I just don't like him. I do think he's overrated. :< (and this probably honestly stems from ignorance and not actually listening to him.)

With Nicki Minaj, I'm undecided. I think I want to like her, but I don't like the whole barbie thing. Tt's a little gross. Her music, however, is catchy and I dig it. Her voice is interesting and she doesn't sound lost or like she's forcing it to flow. Young Money itself is hilarious. Regardless of how much talent or potential Lil Twist and Lil Chuckee have, they're both silly imo. Drake is alright. I'm not a huge fan of Drake by himself, but he's pretty good with Weezy.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
Years
And at the risk of being flamed, I'm gonna say one thing; Eminem is waaay overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love Em. But c'mon... have you heard some of his later music? Like, it's not bad but no where near anything he had pre-2008. That's what I think, at least.

that's about how everyone feels about Em these days

Back