• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen ISSHU WHY MUST YOU HAVE BECOME UNOVA!!!!!

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Guy

just a guy
Years
At first, being so used to calling the region Isshu, I sort of fell off the edge so-to-speak when I heard the English name would be Unova. Then there was the matter on how to pronounce Unova, because while some say it like "You-No-Vah" the anime and commercials pronounced it as "You-Nuh-Vah". I eventually got used to it though, and now, referring to the region as Isshu aloud just sounds weird.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I didn't like saying Isshu. \; It just didn't sound right. idk ;o; I prefer Unova, a lot more than Isshu. When the name was first announced and I hadn't heard it said yet; I heard all the horrible sayings people said it sounded like. That put me off. ;-; Until someone finally said it was pronounced how it sounded.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
WHen I first heard of Unova I was like I can't stand the name because I was so use to hearing the name Isshu. But after hearing Unova over and over again, I like the name of it and prefer Unova over its original name.

:t354:TG

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I like Isshu better. Unova just sounds awkward to me, just like Nimbasa. Isshu is fast and easy to pronounce, and it is very catchy.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Isshu sounds like somebody sneezing. Pronouncing Unova like how they do in the anime, rather than how I naturally pronounce it, makes it much better.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Tbh, I don't really care, mainly because Unova isn't that bad of a name in my opinion. Had it been something ridiculous, then sure, I'd be annoyed, but its grown on me, and I just naturally call it Unova now. As for pronunciation, I just pronounce it how I feel it should be pronounced. XD I don't really talk to people about Pokemon in real life (well, not much anyway) so yeah. :P

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I like the name Unova. It sounds pretty unique.

Plus Isshu sounds like issue, so... yeah. I never really liked that name. O:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
The Isshu region did sound a little weird to me. I much prefer Unova as a name, and was really glad when they switched.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Isshu sounds really weird... Kinda feels like saying "issue" and I never grew into it.

Unova sounds much better to me.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen today
Well...'Unova' is a much better name than 'Alleos', which was Unova's apparent name in the UK before B/W were released.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I love Isshu. I love Unova. Either suits the name of the region really. If I had to pick, yeah I'd go back to Isshu simply for the nostalgia.

Used to really hate Unova btw, much like the others :x

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Unova? Isshu? To me, there's no real difference - just different names. This time, they just went and chose the translation-localisation route instead of just transliterating it - there's a meaning to it, and they want to get the meaning across in all languages, hence the name switch.

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years
Even though I pick Isshu over Unova, I think it does not really matter. It is just one region that is called by two different names by two different countries.

Back