• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Move tutors

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
I really wonder where all these shards will appear
DPP-underground
HG/SS- rock smashing rocks
We have neither underground or rock smash as a hm

Well looks like i need to stop being lazy and get in the competative field
(sigh :/)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Man. The competitive field has just become much more dangerous now. I'm so excited that they brought back Drain Punch and Giga Drain! Now I don't have to breed to get my Conkeldurr to learn it!

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
Wow, competitive battling totally flipped upside down. This is intense, and freakin' awesome!

I missed Giga Drain and Drain Punch so much. I hated how even though they buffed them, it lost thier TM status, so very few Pokemon had it :(

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
DPP-underground

They could have that guy give you some...the Treasure hunter near Undella Bay. You could also buy them in Black City like you could buy Heart Scales. Then they can throw them in with various wild Pokemon.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
RestTalk Throh in NU? Wonderful!

Though, one thing I really hate is Bind :I

Gravity is amazing and Aqua Tail/Superpower/Earth Power/Dragon Pulse for Serperior, please? :3

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
They could have that guy give you some...the Treasure hunter near Undella Bay. You could also buy them in Black City like you could buy Heart Scales. Then they can throw them in with various wild Pokemon.

This is probably the reason b2/w2 allowed the ability to switch between black city and white forest because white forest is obviously inferior to black city

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Awesome moves, this will definitely give a boost to Pokemon who need a movepool increase.
I'm happy with all the moves (especially Drain punch) but Stealth rock... darn it.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
Years
DPP-underground

One you missed; can't remember if it was Platinum or HG/SS, but there was one guy who would convert Star Pieces into one of each Shard. It was probably Platinum, with the Underground giving you a somewhat decent supply of Star Pieces and the Move Tutors requiring shards. Perhaps there will be someone who performs a similar role, or someone who will trade a Star Piece for one of each Shard.

As for Rock Smash, we have it as an infinite-use TM, instead-- perhaps in some places, rocks that can be smashed will show up, and on top of that, if the Star Piece trader is making a return, we've also got Challenge Rock, which gives you a Star Piece every day.

Years
Here's to the hope that shards aren't Dream World only in the Cool Hole. Bad enough getting trolled by the Stubborn Sky & Stupid Sea. Now I gotta get trolled by After You as a Move Tutor move. What a dumb move in my opinion. After You. Really...

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
...and with these move tutors the need for the 4th gens almost completely died.

I'm really curious as to who will be able to learn Drill Run. It would be an awesome move for Beedrill and now Seaking can own electric types. I'm just super pleased they included all the moves I wanted.

Years
...and with these move tutors the need for the 4th gens almost completely died.

I'm really curious as to who will be able to learn Drill Run. It would be an awesome move for Beedrill and now Seaking can own electric types. I'm just super pleased they included all the moves I wanted.
Imagine Dream world Seaking with Drill run...it's tier would go up...

Fire Punch Haxorus...that would be beast :D!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
THANK THE LORD ABOVE OMG. Now I can RNG things and give them my favorite moves (elemental punches) and don't have to learn 4th gen! <333 I am super excited! Plus Stealth Rock is a move tutor move. RUH ROH. >:)

Years
ICE PUNCH CONKELDURR.

FIRE PUNCH HAXORUS.

HECK. YES.

Fire punch Haxorus is amazing. Hey im Haxorus, I have 147 base attack, Dragon Dance and Sword Dance, stab Outrage and now have earthquake and fire punch for coverage.
I cant think of anything off the top of my head that counters this with one DD under its belt, Mold Breaker by passes Multiscale, Skarm would take huge amount of damage from fire punch. Heatran on Balloon could. I guess the best way is with priority and faster scarfed pokemon.

Another interesting option could be Drain Punch on Dnite. I know he learned in gen 4 but it was a pretty bad move then. It would give that fighting coverage that superpower provided in 4th gen but this time instead of stat drops he would get health back which could be seriouly good if you get back to Multiscale before they attack you.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
Hey! Where's Avalanche during all of this? I need that for my Mudkip!

Seriously, unless you teach Avalanche as a Technical Machine to a male in Generation IV (and that's during the era when TMs were not reusable, and Avalanche was only available after defeating Candice or Pryce), transfer it to a Generation V game, then breed it, the only Pokemon who can know that move are the Vanillite family, the Jynx family, and, by extension, the Snorunt family. I don't know how well Avalanche fairs in the competitive sector of Pokemon, but I can only presume it might work well with tanks... I still love the move, and hate to not see it return! I wonder if there are any other past TMs that haven't returned as TMs or tutorable moves?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Hey! Where's Avalanche during all of this? I need that for my Mudkip!

Seriously, unless you teach Avalanche as a Technical Machine to a male in Generation IV (and that's during the era when TMs were not reusable, and Avalanche was only available after defeating Candice or Pryce), transfer it to a Generation V game, then breed it, the only Pokemon who can know that move are the Vanillite family, the Jynx family, and, by extension, the Snorunt family. I don't know how well Avalanche fairs in the competitive sector of Pokemon, but I can only presume it might work well with tanks... I still love the move, and hate to not see it return! I wonder if there are any other past TMs that haven't returned as TMs or tutorable moves?

TMs that are no longer TMs and did not become Tutors:
Focus Punch
Water Pulse
Bullet Seed
Shock Wave
Secret Power
Steel Wing
Brine
Endure
Silver Wind
Avalanche
Captivate
Natural Gift
Defog
Whirlpool
Rock Climb

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
TMs that are no longer TMs and did not become Tutors:
Focus Punch
Water Pulse
Bullet Seed
Shock Wave
Secret Power
Steel Wing
Brine
Endure
Silver Wind
Avalanche
Captivate
Natural Gift
Defog
Whirlpool
Rock Climb

The only move I wanted to see in the tutors list is Focus Punch. A good amount of Gen V Pokemon seem capable of learning it, but GameFreak apparently didn't include it. I was pretty disappointed upon realizing that Focus Punch wasn't a tutor move.

And @Marilynasol: Pryce gives Hail, not Avalanche.

Years
Fire punch Haxorus is amazing. Hey im Haxorus, I have 147 base attack, Dragon Dance and Sword Dance, stab Outrage and now have earthquake and fire punch for coverage.
I cant think of anything off the top of my head that counters this with one DD under its belt, Mold Breaker by passes Multiscale, Skarm would take huge amount of damage from fire punch. Heatran on Balloon could. I guess the best way is with priority and faster scarfed pokemon.

Another interesting option could be Drain Punch on Dnite. I know he learned in gen 4 but it was a pretty bad move then. It would give that fighting coverage that superpower provided in 4th gen but this time instead of stat drops he would get health back which could be seriouly good if you get back to Multiscale before they attack you.
My guess is Dragonite will proably have Drain Punch still. Most of the previous gen Pokemon will most likely be able to get the moves they were able to get last gen though the move tutors of that gen.

Back