• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When do you consider you Pokemon Game "Compelted"

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
I'm no completionist by any means, but I define it by the clearing of the game, post game content, and getting all secrets (if there are any?). Also the completion of any sort of collection(s?), National Pokedex, and what not in-game. And oh look! You have a Backloggery *clicks*

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Whenever the challenge rules say it's over. :P When making challenges and having to set a completion point though, I usually have it as Champion Rival (RBY/FRLG), Red (GSC/HGSS), Steven (RSE), Cynthia (DPPt), Ghetsis (BW), and Iris (B2W2). If I'm doing a regular playthrough, first round E4 is always the end for me.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
SYddy's challenge completion rules are pretty much normal completion rules for me. Which means I haven't actually beaten either HeartGold or Black. I'm working on ittttt.

Years
Usually I'll consider the game complete once I've beaten the Elite Four/Champion (obviously), and then finished up any post-game content if it's available. Aside from FireRed I've never bothered completing the Pokedex, but I guess at that point there's really nothing left to do but start over.

Years
I'm no completionist by any means, but I define it by the clearing of the game, post game content, and getting all secrets (if there are any?). Also the completion of any sort of collection(s?), National Pokedex, and what not in-game. And oh look! You have a Backloggery *clicks*

lol be careful with that backloggery it's a bit...in transition since I only keep the games I own on there and I just sold my 360. Lord if I kept track of any game I ever played...ugh

Ahem...back on topic

Hmm...does anyone consider maxing out their trainer card part of the package? Is that something that's thrown into the "post-game topic" area?

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2014
For me:

Catch favorite pokes, beat elite four, post game stuff, complete regional dex, start over.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 19, 2014
When all the post-game stuff is over. The Pokedex completion I believe is only necessary for one game. Like if you own Soul Silver and Platinum it would be pretty redundant and pointless to complete it in both games.. one of them YES though

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I don't. I usually get bored before I finish the game, then get hit with a wave of nostalgia and restart the whole thing. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I consider a game completed once I clear the main story, beat the Elite Four and complete all of the post-game stuff. I don't count completing the National Pokedex something I have to do in order to complete the game cause I have never finished it. I normally don't restart my games either so I usually find things to do in the game after I think I've finished the game, which does include completing the Pokedex.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Normally when I've beat the post-game stuff and catch all available legendaries do I call it quits for the games. Essentially when there's nothing else to do but Battle Tower-like things.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2013
If everything to defeat is defeated(major ones, like champions,frontiers, not street trainers like picnicker,youngster, etc.)If every legendary has been captured. and if every place has been visited.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
Complete, I consider a pokemon game complete when I've at the very least beat the champion (or any other opponents (red in Johto games and steven in Emerald) and completed the regional pokedex, although some other games (Fire Red and Heart Gold) I'll try to do some others things such as catching the legendary dog in fire red or catching other legendaries such as kyogre and groudon in heart gold.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
In normal play, I don't consider the game ever completed. All of my past characters are living in all or those past games right now, and I even go back and revisit them from time to time. Even if they've seen everything there is to see and caught everything there is to catch, they're still there, so the games still aren't "complete."

Challenges are the only thing that I think can be "completed," and that's because there's a specific goal of "completing" the game under specific conditions. For those, I think it's self-evident that they're complete when the credits roll and the game actually says "The End" or "Fin" or what-have-you.

And I could rant about how asinine the common challenge rules are regarding Black and White, but I'll save that for another thread.

Years
In RBY you're done if you have a full Pokedex and Mewtwo under your own ID. For everything else, imo you need a shiny from each family(bar some legendaries), which is impossible outside of hacking but that's my deluded aim! But even at that, you can always go back to wifi battles

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
For me, completing a Pokemon game would mean defeating all trainers (path, gym, elite, champions, including the 2nd post-game rematches), collecting all the ground items (including the hidden items), and catching all available pokemon in that particular version (grass, water, cave, legendary, swarm, trees, safari zone, not including the other choices for starters and multiple choice bonus Pokemon). I haven't touched my HeartGold game in a little while, but I was sure I got almost all hidden items, but I'm not even close to catching all the Pokemon available in that version).

Back