• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
What Genre Do YOU Enjoy The Most While RolePlaying?

If you roleplay, comment saying what genres you enjoy doing, and ones you try to avoid!

Genre:
Fantasy
Horror
Mystery
Slice-Of-Life
Romance
Thriller
Sci-Fi
Tragedy
*Wanna add to the list? Make a suggestion!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personally, I love Fantasy/Mystery stuff. I tend to avoid BIG romance, but I can settle for a little blushing here an there and some touchy moments...Tragedies can be fun too~!

I'm really bored right now, so I decided to make this poll xD Anyone wanna RP? 8D *Murdered*

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
Years
Hit
Miss
Genre:
Fantasy
Horror (I... I'm squeamish. MineCraft scares me like you wouldn't believe.)
Mystery
Slice-Of-Life
Romance
Thriller
Sci-Fi
Tragedy

I dunno. My roleplays never actually get outside of the "opening hijinks" stage.

Such as, you know, kidnapping a random tengu, and nearly having her executed for fun. :D

Tuxedo Clank

So laid back he is horizontal
Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2012
I enjoy RPing most things but the one on the list I dislike is tragedy. I get enough of that in normal life so why would I want to RP it.

I would be happy to RP but only if you don't mind my posts being once or twice a week.

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
Years
Fantasy
Gotta love this Genre, mainly because there is soooo much you can do with it. Want Orcs? Or maybe a wizard or two? What about a handful of Demons, hmm? Yeah, I love this Genre just because it can turn into absolutely anything, so that'll be a Hit!

Horror
Bleagh *shudders*. I'm not one for horror and what-not, so this probably wouldn't be for me. While I might enjoy it if it were interwined with another Genre, say... Sci-fi? Then it can spice up the plot a little, and generally make things more interesting, but I don't feel that it would be something I would have fun RPing in if it was purely horror, so for this Genre alone, I'm going to have to say Miss...

Mystery
It was Miss White... in the Dining Room... with the Electric Chainsaw!! I rather like Mystery based Roleplays, much like I do with books and films of a similar Genre. Well, I like them as long as the whole 'who-dunnit?' situation isn't too predictable. It is a good Genre, and unlike Horror, can work by itself, but still benefits from another Genre giving it back up. Hit!

Slice-Of-Life
In my honest opinion, I'd prefer not to take part in a Role-play like one of these. Ones which revolve around ordinary life tend to bore me a little, since I usually join RPGs because they give me a chance to do something different, and normal life is not one of those things. Miss...

Romance
I've never actually been in a Romance based Role-Play before, and thus I really have no say in this area. I'd be willing to try it, but as I've said, I've never been in one before. N/a

Thriller
Another good Genre to go by, whether the Thriller be action, pyschological, or... something else, it's a good Genre. Still wondering whether I'd rather have this than Fantansy, but I guess they can stay on equal terms... for now. Hit!

Sci-Fi
Yup, yup, *dodges spaceship*. Anywho, another good Genre in my opinion, and depending on how Sci-fi a specific RPG gets, it can work much like Fantasy, and have almost limitless capabilities. Hit!

Tragedy
Aww, darn it. Tux beat me to the desription! Nah, life's not too bad. But this Genre works for me in much the same way that Horror does, weaving in and out of other Genres, making it an important part of Roleplaying, but not being able to keep up by itself. Miss...

Last edited:
Years
Incoming opinionz!

Thoughts on a RP I am making?
Notes: Dragonite is considered Legendary.
Manaphy is part of the lake trio. It represents freedom.
The Lake Trio also control the seasons. Mesprit is Spring, Azelf is Summer, Uxie is Autunm and Manaphy Winter.
Articuno, Mew and Moltres are female, and Mewtwo, Zapdos and Dragonite are male.
Starters are the same types as the Eeveelutions (Normal, Fire, Water, Electric, Psychic, Dark)
The roleplay is set in Kanto, and the characters will get to Sinnoh to recruit the Lake Trio.
Johto pokemon are available too, as well as Hoenn and Sinnoh pokemon that evolve into Kanto and Johto pokemon.
Leafeon and Glaceon don't get any roles.

Shy away from the Manaphy thing as it goes against canon. In general, you wouldn't list stuff like this. Weave it into the narrative.

Plot
About 300 years ago, the Kanto Legendaries secretly lived in peace, away from humans. They were practically unknown, only heard of in myths and fairytales. Mewtwo lived in Cerulean Cave, Moltres in Mt Silver, Zapdos in the abandoned Power Plant, Articuno in the Seafoam Islands (which were not known of at that time), Dragonite in a secret part of Victory Road, and Mew on a secret island. One day, two sailors found Mew's Island, beginning something bigger than anyone thought.
300 years ago the Power Plant wouldn't have existed. Maybe make it atop Rock Tunnel or have the area it was be naturally filled with electromagnetic fields or what have you.

Those sailors had been travelling on the seas, when a strom whipped up. They were tossed upon stormy seas, all the way to Mew's Island. There, Mew found them. Mew offered to Teleport them home, if they never told anyone about her or her island. The sailors agreed, and they were Teleported home. There, they broke their promise by telling everyone about Mew and her island. All of the powerful trainers travelled to Mew's island, to try and convince Mew to come on their side. Mew disagreed, and so there was a fight. However, Mew managed to escape and tell the other Legendaries that her island was being invaded. Some trainers, on rapid Water and Flying Types, followed Mew and found out the locations of the other legendaries. Then, they reported them to the other trainers. Over the next month, the trainers prepared to fight the other legendaries to get them on their side.

The battles all happened simutaneously, and much blood was shed. The legendaries managed to escape dying, though. The battle came to a conclusion when Arceus saw it. He transformed the legendaries into charms, to prevent them from getting hurt. He also made the Eeveelutions to guard the charms in what was the legendary's home. Eevee for Dragonite, Vaporeon for Articuno, Jolteon for Zapdos, Flareon for Moltres, Espeon for Mew and Umbreon for Mewtwo. He told the Eeveelutions to guard the charms, and to pass them down to new generations so they can protect them. Arceus also cast a spell on the charms. They could only be transformed back into the legendaries when Arceus, the Season Foursome, and six trustworthy trainers were there. Many years passed, bringing us to the present day, were people can live on Mew's island.
Reread over this for a few mistakes and redundancies, but overall pretty good (if slightly cliche but now I'm just complaining).

You are a young trainer-to-be, and you live near one of the legendary charms. You have seen an Eeveelution prowling around the area the charm is in, guarding it and the charm. Also, you have recieved a letter from the 'Legendary Materialization Organization' or LMO for short. They want you to help find the legendary charms and turn them back into the legendaries. They will also give you a choice of special starters, to help you find the tokens easier. You decide to join them, but can they be trusted...?
Maybe section this part off into Your Role or something similar.

As for the poll...
Fantasy: duh, yes.
Horror: I have yet to read a piece of literature that has legitamitely scared me apart from the Dementors from Harry Potter and even then it only had that effect because of how startlingly out of place it was. I'd imagine it would work even less in an RP. Unless it's Call of the Cthulhu.
Mystery: :3
S-o-L: Depends heavily on what the plan is.
Romance: Sub-genre! But I really do like romance in these message board roleplays - makes great characters and conflicts and stories and...
Thriller: See also: Mystery.
Sci-Fi: Not so much hard sci-fi, but uncomplicated soft sci-fi is fun.
Tragedy: Again, sub-genre.

Years
Bunnying is the same as godmodding/character control. Just another term for it. Although I would be interested in hearing its etymology.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'd like to see a fantasy RP that's easy enough to understand and move around in. Not a hardcore detailed game based on a game or a book.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
I know this is from Urban Dictionary, but it defines it.

Bunnying:

A term used in roleplaying, bunnying is taking control of characters other than your own in order to make the storyline go the way you want it to. Closely related to god modding

So and so hits someone over the head and pronounces them dead. (this is an example of both bunnying and god modding)

Godmodding:

"God Modding" is in essence when someone's character has the ability to do practically anything without limits or boundaries. And example is when they simply cannot be harmed by any and all means other RP-ers try.

-It can be killing or injuring a character without the player's express permission.
-It can be when they simply can't be hit and dodge all attacks or anything for this matter aimed at them.
-It can also be using other characters that other people RP with. In other words, if you do not RP as
Legolas, then you cannot have Legolas say anything, or do anything, without the player's express permission.

The absolute worst is when they make out another character to be what they're not, just to make their own character seem superior. They make others seem weak, screaming for help, when they've made it quite clear about their advantages and strengths. This is called power-play. It's a strain of God-Modding, but instead of just being irritating, it's offensive to boot.

This is a prime example of God Modding:

Player A: Punches Player B
Player B: Dodges attack, grabs Player A and throws him. Player A flies at Player B, who warps behind him and slashes Player A in the back.

Doctor Who

Saving the earth with a bowtie
Years
Back on the topic of what roleplays we'd like to see here, I'm really missing a good old chapter-based trainer roleplay.
There's barely any up right now, and I know that there are tons of people, including me, who'd gladly join one. So frankly, I don't understand why there are so little!

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
Years
Fantasy
Who doesn't like fantasy? You can do anything with it. There are no boundaries or parameters to set. Not much to say beyond that. Hit.

Horror
Ah, horror... a genre I adore. Horror as a single genre may be a little redundant, but the frequent bouts of surprise and fear can be entertaining. With other genres, I find elements of horror to be essential. Hit.

Mystery
Probably one of the most satisfying genres, mystery-based roleplays never fail to impress. Like fantasy, you could take any scenario and turn it into a mystery, with many unanswered questions and clues to solve them. Hit.

Slice-Of-Life
Normality is one of my roleplaying no-no's. Miss.

Romance
Romance is a necessity in most roleplays, as long as it's not too lovey-dovey. That's just annoying. Undecided.

Thriller
You'd have to lead a pretty dull life to dislike thrillers. Action is the heartbeat of roleplaying, and without some thrilling aspects, a roleplay falls flat. Hit.

Sci-Fi
Urgh... I may get some serious negative feedback for this, but I'm a sci-fi hater. I attribute this to my brother forcing me to watch Star Wars (all six episodes) over and over again. I never liked them to begin with. The same applies to roleplaying. Spaceships and aliens don't sit well with my mind, or my stomach. Miss.

Tragedy
I'm a hardcore fan of tragedy in roleplays, providing it's not a recurring theme. Meaning everyone dies in the end. Hit.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Has anyone heard there are a few new ways to rp. There is Audio roleplaying, MMORPG which is video game rping where you make a online game and others join in. And lastly, manga roleplay where your post is drew out in a comic strip and the next person who posts draws there comic strip with there character interacting with yours. I think my favorite would be the audio rp as it's the easiest. If anyone would like to audio rp I've love to do it.

Zamorak

Well, i'm back =P
Years
Fantasy: Hiy
Horror: Depends, it can be both awesome or a complete disaster
Mystery: Hit
S-o-L: Don't like, Miss
Romance: Not as a stand alone, maybe as a sub but thats rarely, Miss
Thriller: Yes, Hit
Sci-Fi: YAY!!!! Hit
Tragedy: This can be awesome, although its hard to get started, if anyone notices a trend in my RP characters history it is that their life is tragedy. Hit

Also, to your siggy, Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Because their is a B in both and an N in neither.
Or
Poe wrote on both.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Fantasy
I always stay close to this genre....It's my husband *o* Hit

Horror
Adds spice to everything! Hit

Mystery
Heck yes *u* Hit

Slice-Of-Life
Hrm....Sorta boring, but I don't mind it... Norm

Romance
Kyaaa~ Not major sexual themes, but like, attraction and hugging? xD Hit

Thriller
Duh yes! Hit

Sci-Fi
Not a big futuristic rp fan, but I do like some futuristic books like the Shadow Children Series ;o Miss

Tragedy
When there's fantasy, there's tragedy ;D Hit

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'm thinking of posting a RP where the players are pokémon on one trainer's team. What do you think of that idea?

slls81

What does that even mean?
Years
I'm thinking of posting a RP where the players are pokémon on one trainer's team. What do you think of that idea?

I for one would be quite interested to see how it turned out. I toyed with a similar idea a couple of months ago, but couldn't find a way to make it work the way that I wanted it to. It would be interesting to see how you decided to run with the idea :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yeah, there are quite a lot of problems with that kind of RP. Like, how it would be fair.

I'd play the trainer, but do you think I should choose what pokémon to use when in battles, or should all players discuss upcoming battles in an OOC thread first?

Zamorak

Well, i'm back =P
Years
Yay, my first RP got accepted!
Now just gotta wait for people to join it [Its the one called Crime & Punishment]
I'm nervous because its my first try at even starting an RP and it succeeded...
I'm afraid i'll mess it up somehow........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back