• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
It's been said multiply times, hex edit the wild battle data. Each map has a pointer that can point to an area in the rom that deals with wild pokemon that apear. Each pokemon you chose in advance map, have a certin hex vaule, you need to change that vaule to one of the gen 4/5 pkmn values. :D

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I've been working away on Wild Double Battles for the last couple of days, and I achieved this today:

Untitled.png

I managed to add a check to the ball catching routines which checks if it's a wild double battle, and if it is, it then checks if the Pokémon have fainted. If both Pokémon are still battling, it prints this message, just like in Gens 4 and 5! :D

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years
Just wanted to say I'm in love with this patch, it's so convenient! Thank you so much for taking the time out to do this haha. While I don't think I plan on completely using the 649 feature for my hack, the music hack with the 12 direct sounds works like a charm!
https://www.box.com/s/2b4735f1e358339205db

Do you plan on adding anything else music related to this patch or was the 12 DS instruments just a little gift? :P

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Do you plan on adding anything else music related to this patch or was the 12 DS instruments just a little gift? :P

The patch doesn't have DS instruments. :S
The reason I included the 12 direct channels was a purely selfish one. I changed the link battle music to something more appropriate to the patch which needed the 12 channel hack to play.

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years
By DS instruments, I meant direct sound instruments. Sorry for the confusion xP

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
After I patched,advance map wild pokemon did not appear gen 4/5 pokemon name...
How could I do?Can everyone help me?I think already have people post how to make the wild pokemon data,but please everyone quote me and post tutorial or what.Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2012
It might just be because my school's server sucks, but the download link is broken for me. Are there any mirrors?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
No, there aren't any mirrors. Due to the nature of the beast, in that the link is to a constantly updated ips file, I can't provide a mirror link, as it would be outdated very quickly. You have to use the dropbox link which I provided to get the most up to date versions, it's not hosted anywhere else.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
This is great...I wish I could help somehow, but I don't know any scripting that well...

Anyway hope this gets complete

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Excellent news, everyone! I managed to get a fully functional Regional Pokédex running on the 649 Patch. That's another thing that RSE had over FR gone! :D I tested everything I could think of, including seeing and catching a wild Pokémon, the checking of the Pokédex (for counting species caught, obviously).

However, should you download the patch, you will find the "regional" dex is still the Kanto Dex. What gives?

Well, I simply pointed the 2 tables (national and regional) to exactly the same table, in 2 different places. The table at 0x726120 is the National Dex Table. I wouldn't advise modifying this table, since it will also screw up the regional dex! The regional dex table is MUCH later in the ROM (I only just got it working after all! :P). It's at 0x762BB4.

How it works (if you're not using PGE - if that's the case, you're mental! :P), is that each Pokémon has a "slot" on the table. Bulbasaur being slot 0 etc. To assign a regional dex number to a Pokémon, you go to its slot on the table, and change it to where in your Pokédex you want it to appear. Couldn't be more simple than that, could it!? What I actually mean by this is, say, we wanted to assign Pikachu slot 50. For whatever reason. We would navigate to slot 25 (because that is Pikachu's in game index number) and change the value held there to 32 00. Understand? Bear in mind that it operates by INDEX number, not by National Dex Number, so you will need to cross reference the values with the stdpoke.rbh file I have uploaded as well.

To define the length of your actual Pokédex, simply modify the value stored at 0x763178. You have to set it to the length of your Pokédex - 1. That is, you would set the value to be FA 00 00 00 if you wanted 251 Pokémon, or 96 00 00 00 if you wanted 151.

One last note, I did NOT make the dex in such a way that it could support a slot 0, although it would be easy to add. So no Victini in slot 0 for you Unova remakers. Sorry!

The only thing it doesn't correctly do yet, is count your seen/caught totals correctly. I'll get that fixed in a few hours when I find the time.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Dropbox link doesn't work for me. It opens another page with a bunch of random characters, and nothing happens.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Dropbox link doesn't work for me. It opens another page with a bunch of random characters, and nothing happens.

It works for me. I just tried it. Both the basic Alpha 3 ips and the Live Beta version of the ips. Try again? Maybe you happened to try downloading while I was applying an update. Otherwise, I can't really do anything, sorry.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I just downloaded the Live Beta and noticed that you replaced all 4th Gen Pokemon with the sprites from my sprite project, lol that's awesome; I feel special XD

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2013
Will this patch fix the save glitch that stops you from finishing part one of the game?
I know it's not intended to be a hack but to base things on, but I'd love to just play it.

(The save glitch is when the game is unable to save after you beat gary and therefore stops you playing part 2)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I just downloaded the Live Beta and noticed that you replaced all 4th Gen Pokemon with the sprites from my sprite project, lol that's awesome; I feel special XD

Your sprites are of near professional (if not better) quality. It would be utter lunacy not to use them!

Will this patch fix the save glitch that stops you from finishing part one of the game?
I know it's not intended to be a hack but to base things on, but I'd love to just play it.

(The save glitch is when the game is unable to save after you beat gary and therefore stops you playing part 2)

There is no such glitch caused by actual code - This glitch is caused by people being unable to follow simple instructions which are widely available for the ROM in question. There's a reason literally every FR based hack advises you to change the save type to 128k...

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2016
I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, but would it be difficult to implement the BW style experience algorithm in other hacks, or even the vanilla Gen 3 roms? I have to admit, that is what has me the most excited about this patch.

war rock exe

Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!
Years
Can someone please tell how you view the Sinnoh and Unova Pokemon in the Pokedex? I used the script which didn't work and i used a cheat for complete pokedex and that didn't work either...

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, but would it be difficult to implement the BW style experience algorithm in other hacks, or even the vanilla Gen 3 roms? I have to admit, that is what has me the most excited about this patch.

It's already in one other hack - Pokémon Liquid Crystal. It should be relatively easy to port to another Fire Red ROM. As to porting to other ROMs, I don't see why not - but I won't be the one to do it.

Can someone please tell how you view the Sinnoh and Unova Pokemon in the Pokedex? I used the script which didn't work and i used a cheat for complete pokedex and that didn't work either...

The cheats won't work because the Seen/Caught data it changes isn't in the same location in the 649 patch as vanilla FR. It will have absolutely no effect.
Why would a script work? I actually posted how to do it earlier in the thread, so look through the thread to get the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back