• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I know that a lot of people are keen on the Norse Mythology theory, but today in my Survey of Asian Art class my professor told us about this...sort of judge-like forest spirit (he compared it to the forest guardian in Princess Mononoke) with very long horns, large eyes that could perhaps see the future, a long neck, and, in his own words, "legs and hooves planted firmly on the ground." What this creature did was change color if you were brought before it, and the color would be indicative if you were guilty or innocent of a crime.

I didn't have the opportunity to ask him if there was some sort of "winged counterpart," or even for the name of the forest creature, but it instantly reminded me of Xerneas with its long legs and neck, multi-colored antlers, and eyes bearing an X. So perhaps these legendaries are based more on Asian mythology, or maybe even show influences from Asian and Norse myths.

If anything, his lecture has made me think Xerneas has a pretty good chance of being Grass-type x3

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2016
I'll most likely pick the X one, but I have to know that game differences first.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Those legendaries looked cool but nothingness this dialga from explorers of sky

Nah Sinnoh legendaries were boring, these ones have much more exciting designs imo!

I'll most likely pick the X one, but I have to know that game differences first.

So you like Xerneas? What if Yveltal had... an awesome ability, much more awesome than Xerneas', would it make you prefer that? ;)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Nah Sinnoh legendaries were boring, these ones have much more exciting designs imo!

So you like Xerneas? What if Yveltal had... an awesome ability, much more awesome than Xerneas', would it make you prefer that? ;)
How...how dare you Sinnoh's were...okay they were kind of dull now that I think about it. However Generation 3 had better legends, jk...or am I...

Anyways Hopefully they don't keep us waiting for the types for two months or more like they did with the "secret" of Kyurem's ice.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
How...how dare you Sinnoh's were...okay they were kind of dull now that I think about it. However Generation 3 had better legends, jk...or am I...

Anyways Hopefully they don't keep us waiting for the types for two months or more like they did with the "secret" of Kyurem's ice.

You are joking - they suck ;)

Hmmm we also didn't get Zekrom/Reshiram's typings til a few months later (which was around.. two?) and by that point people kind of forgot about caring, iirc. Sooo hopefully not that long.

Ptzery

Skitty trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
:t201-x::t201-e::t201-r::t201-n::t201-e::t201-a::t201-s::t201-!:

Yeah, Xerneas has the best design of any pokemon I've seen so far. Yveltal is Ok, but I'm gonna get X. Also, I heard this from a friend so this may not be 100% accurate, apparently GameFreak likes X more than Y. But yeah, Xerneas is quite an amazing pokemon. And I can see it beating up Yveltal right now.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Both look great. Especially how in a certain pose, their bodies look like an X and a Y. So I really can't choose between these two epics; both look awesome.

Guy

just a guy
Years
You are joking - they suck ;)

Hmmm we also didn't get Zekrom/Reshiram's typings til a few months later (which was around.. two?) and by that point people kind of forgot about caring, iirc. Sooo hopefully not that long.
Child, please. u_u

Personally, I don't think we've had legendary mascots this interesting since Gen III. As cool looking as Dialga / Palkia / Giratina and Reshiram / Zekrom / Kyurem may be, they don't look all that much different from one another. They each have similar designs and body structures it doesn't really make any of them stand out more than the other - except, okay, I really don't like Palkia to be honest.

So as cool as they are, there just isn't much variety between the Gen IV or V mascots. Even their typing are practically shared.

Whereas with the Hoenn mascots, they're each different. Other than a similar ancient pattern printed upon their bodies, they each look completely different and unique from one another. That's why I think Xerneas and Yveltal have been the best mascots [in my opinion] since Gen III, because of how different they are to each other. It makes them both stand out on their own right.

Plus it does help that they do look pretty darn awesome.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
That player art looks fake.

I'm not buying it. Yveltal is surely part flying, else it flying around is just ridiculous.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hmmm so, we think the leak is most likely fake, but nevertheless!

Spoiler:

According to this Yveltal is dark/dragon. How would you guys feel about it if it were true? And how likely do you think it is? etc.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
If this is confirmed true than I'm not really a fan of the protagonist artwork. It doesn't seem like Sugimori's style to me. Or the fact that Yveltal is yet another legendary mascot to be part Dragon. Though if it's really part Dark, then that would be awesome.

However, I've also haven't seen anything on Serebii or other Pokemon fansites about it being official. I heard Serebii posted about but then took it down cause there was no official source. So until there's an official source that this is real than I won't say it's 100% confirmed.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Its hard to tell. The Art style seems close to the style in B2W2. As for Yveltal...doesn't really scream Dragon, though I wouldn't mind too much. Dark/Dragon, I can't really see without a Proper Backstory. And if Dark/Dragon, I think we can debunk the Norse relation. I always though of him as Yatagarasu anyway, but still it would be a pretty solid debunking.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They usually don't post it as an official confirmation until the 15th anyway. As for me, it seems to match the B2W2 Protag artwork a bit as well. So honestly, I can't tell. The set up is really well done and matches other CoroCoros better than the last three fakes I've seen and shows a different screenshot rather than copy pasting the screenshots from the original trailers.

We basically have 4 days to find out and it is about time for the Leak.

As I mentioned in the Legendary thread, I don't mind Yveltal being Dark/Dragon. Doesn't look like a Dragon at all, but I don't mind it. Also they don't have to be Flying type to fly. Look at Garchomp, Beedrill, and Hydreigon.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
There's been so many fakes in the last month that it's hard to tell now. I don't mind the typing cause Hydreigon is a Dark/Dragon and imo he's a pretty solid and cool looking Pokemon. Though it's sort of a letdown since it's the 8th time the box mascot has been a Dragon type (including Rayquaza and counting Black/White Kyurem/Normal Kyurem as one) and I'm pretty tired of it. I like the fact that it could be Dark cause it makes it seem fierce and strong.

Pokefanmaster101

Pokemon Fan 1
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2013
Thankfully they aren't putting the legendaries into the opposite games. Also some very, very shaky rumours that they are remaking Pokemon Red and Blue for the 3Ds, but nothing solid yet I'll keep you posted on that though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Its hard to tell. The Art style seems close to the style in B2W2. As for Yveltal...doesn't really scream Dragon, though I wouldn't mind too much. Dark/Dragon, I can't really see without a Proper Backstory. And if Dark/Dragon, I think we can debunk the Norse relation. I always though of him as Yatagarasu anyway, but still it would be a pretty solid debunking.

There's been so many fakes in the last month that it's hard to tell now. I don't mind the typing cause Hydreigon is a Dark/Dragon and imo he's a pretty solid and cool looking Pokemon. Though it's sort of a letdown since it's the 8th time the box mascot has been a Dragon type (including Rayquaza and counting Black/White Kyurem/Normal Kyurem as one) and I'm pretty tired of it. I like the fact that it could be Dark cause it makes it seem fierce and strong.

But guys! There is an advantage - it'd mean the first time where one is dragon and the other isn't, which could make for an interesting trio, really. Buuut now I kinda doubt it's true, so :( Still it'd be interestingggg.

Guy

just a guy
Years
The thing is, I could totally see Yveltal being a Dark type, but a Dragon type? I wouldn't entirely mind if that does happen, it's just Yveltal doesn't look very much like a Dragon. It has some Dragon-eqsue features, but as a whole it doesn't strike me as another Dragon-type.

...and while it doesn't need to be a Flying type just because it can fly and has wings, I feel like Dark/Flying might be more suitable than Dark/Dragon. We'll find out in time if this turns out true or not, if it's not already proven false later today.

On a side note, there's something a little off about the protagonist's artwork. I think it's the hair. There's no shiny coating like in most Sugimori art.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm pretty sure this CoroCoro scan is also fake, 'cause on the side it says "Pokémon" in English letters rather than "ポケットモンスターX・ポケットモンスターY".

But CoroCoro should be leaking soon, though it's going to be hard to tell 'cause many people are creating more fake artworks of them.

And I'm thinking Yveltal will be Dark/Flying and not Dark/Dragon. But I wouldn't mind seeing Yveltal as Dark/Dragon. ^^

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The thing is, I could totally see Yveltal being a Dark type, but a Dragon type? I wouldn't entirely mind if that does happen, it's just Yveltal doesn't look very much like a Dragon. It has some Dragon-eqsue features, but as a whole it doesn't strike me as another Dragon-type.

...and while it doesn't need to be a Flying type just because it can fly and has wings, I feel like Dark/Flying might be more suitable than Dark/Dragon. We'll find out in time if this turns out true or not, if it's not already proven false later today.

On a side note, there's something a little off about the protagonist's artwork. I think it's the hair. There's no shiny coating like in most Sugimori art.

Well ya plus our first time we saw it, it was in the clouds, which implies that sky might be a major thing with it (aka flying), as opposed to being in a tall castle orrrr something!

Back