• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon AshGray Version (Beta 4.5 Released!!)

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
Years
very good hack, I like the way you did the first few epiosdes alot different than me, I would like to stay mine anime hack is better but it is up to the audience to deciede

wait so now your saying your the author of pokemon master quest AND a kanto anime hack,
Its not nice to take someones work so please show proof if these hacks are yours

P_S_B

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2024
This hack is actually better than Naranja. You have done a superb job on this hack.

I especially like the day/night aspect. Although it turns off in a few places. (Route 22, Charmander's Path and Mankey's path (I think))

Keep up the good work.

A minor suggestion:
Add a train station in Fuchsia City. While there was no station featured in the original Fuchsia City episode, in Time Warp Heals All Wounds from the Battle Frontier saga, there is a station present in the city. It's a minor thing and largely unnecessary, but it'd be a neat callback to the Battle Frontier episode.

Also, the Metapod/Caterpie event with the Beedrill didn't trigger for some reason. (probably because Caterpie hadn't evolved yet...)

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
I keep getting an error that says over and over again,"An item in the bag can be register on SELECT for easy use." And it keeps repeating the message never stopping.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2011
Hey Metapod, just discovered the beta and enjoying it so far.

I'm wondering how you're going to handle the Elite Four when you get to it, are you just going to replace them with the four trainers that Ash fought (And just give them extra Pokemon besides the two or three they used, since I know you can't program the "three Pokemon only" rule they had in the anime. I know you'd have to take liberties with Ash's second opponent since they only showed his last Pokemon, a Nidorino).

Of course, I know after you beat these four trainers you'll probably replace Gary with Richie, but I wonder how you'll handle that since Ash didn't win the Leauge. Like, will you just make Richie's Pokemon impossible to beat, like level 100 or something. Or maybe instead of actually fighting Richie you could just replace it with a cutscene where Ash loses.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
This hack is actually better than Naranja. You have done a superb job on this hack.

I especially like the day/night aspect. Although it turns off in a few places. (Route 22, Charmander's Path and Mankey's path (I think))

Yeah, I'm trying to fix any areas that I left out. I can't take credit for the day/night system, I just inserted Interdpth & ZodiacDaGreat's system.

I keep getting an error that says over and over again,"An item in the bag can be register on SELECT for easy use." And it keeps repeating the message never stopping.

I've never had that happen to me whenever I've tested the game, so I'm not sure what could be causing that.

Hey Metapod, just discovered the beta and enjoying it so far.

I'm wondering how you're going to handle the Elite Four when you get to it, are you just going to replace them with the four trainers that Ash fought (And just give them extra Pokemon besides the two or three they used, since I know you can't program the "three Pokemon only" rule they had in the anime. I know you'd have to take liberties with Ash's second opponent since they only showed his last Pokemon, a Nidorino).

Of course, I know after you beat these four trainers you'll probably replace Gary with Richie, but I wonder how you'll handle that since Ash didn't win the Leauge. Like, will you just make Richie's Pokemon impossible to beat, like level 100 or something. Or maybe instead of actually fighting Richie you could just replace it with a cutscene where Ash loses.

My plan is to have him face the regular trainers he does face through Richie, then have the option of facing three more afterwards, (if Ash finished in the top 16, then Richie was presumably in the top 8, meaning that there were just 3 more trainers he'd have to beat to win). Then you'll be able to challenge the Elite 4 and the Champion, although I'm not sure if the Elite 4 is a part of the competition in the anime or not. And I want to make it an all or nothing thing, so that if you lose to any of the trainers, you can't re-challenge again until maybe later ...

Sato

N'cha!
Years
I was just thinking, if you're going to do something like add extra opponents to the League Tournament after Ritchie, would something like say... Adding the Emerald Frontier Brains as bonus post-game bosses be difficult? I mean, since the anime version was set in Kanto, it could be a fun extra.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2011
Well, for the opponents after Richie here's some suggestions:
For the three opponents between Richie and the Elite Four, you could use the girl with the Ivysaur who defeated Richie, then the girl trainer from FR/LG, and then the FR/LG boy trainer. (Maybe name the girl something like Greene and the boy Red and have their teams made up of the exclusive Pokemon for each version.

Like the girl's team could be Venusaur, Magmar, Sandslash, Slowbro, Pinsir, and Wigglytuff (Not a verison exclusive, but part of her magna team)

The boy's could be like Charizard, Vileplume, Golduck or Cloyster, Electabuzz, Scyther, and Arbok.

OR you could go a limb and give them one Johto Pokemon on their team, like give the girl Misdreavus in place of Wigglytuff and the boy Skarmory instead of Arbok.

You could also make the FR/LG trainers the other two from Pallet (I know that Oak mentions in one episode that the other trainers from Pallet dropped out, but since you're not following it 100% with things like the post-Richie opponents, maybe you could make this small change)

Last edited:

Sato

N'cha!
Years
Another thought about the post-Ritchie League opponents, while the girl who beat Ritchie is an obvious choice for round 6, the remaining two rounds could be perhaps the person who beat Gary and maybe then Paul? I mean, Paul did supposedly compete in the Indigo League well before the Sinnoh arc.

Then again, a problem with using him is the fact that Torterra would most likely be an important part of his team... I know Pokémon Brown managed to add lots of Pokémon that weren't in Gen I to the game, but is there any room for such an addition in Gen III? Other than that though, almost any of his Pokémon from the show (or their pre-evolutions) would fit in fine.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
Here are the errors I found:

-All characters that appeared in the anime should get unique VS sprites. It's unnerving seeing Samurai as a BUG CATCHER...
-The Jigglypuff in the Pewter Pokémon Center should say its English name, not its Japanese one (Purin)
-There aren't any good options for facing Brock... maybe his Onix should get an ability that allows electric attacks to hit

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2011

-All characters that appeared in the anime should get unique VS sprites. It's unnerving seeing Samurai as a BUG CATCHER...
-The Jigglypuff in the Pewter Pokémon Center should say its English name, not its Japanese one (Purin)
-There aren't any good options for facing Brock... maybe his Onix should get an ability that allows electric attacks to hit

Electric attacks work on Rock-types in this hack. Just make sure Brock beats you once so you can get the Light Ball from the guy in the new house on the edge of the city below the exit.

TheDonMaister

This is not His World its Mine
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 29, 2011
Hey Metapod23. Played through the current Beta and thought that it wsa amazing. I was wondering if there was going to be any new screenies soon ;)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
They are just your wishes not exactly errors =)

Samurai is just character of the day. If Metapod was doing sprites for all CotD then there wouldn't be space in ROM.

Well you can pwn him with electric attacks ;)
It's made that way =)

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
Electric attacks work on Rock-types in this hack. Just make sure Brock beats you once so you can get the Light Ball from the guy in the new house on the edge of the city below the exit.

GROUND TYPES. IT WORKS ON GROUND TYPES.

Electric attacks always work on Rock types. It's Ground types that are immune.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
GROUND TYPES. IT WORKS ON GROUND TYPES.

Electric attacks always work on Rock types. It's Ground types that are immune.

They don't work on Ground-types, though, I just removed the secondary Ground-type from some of the rock Pokemon like the Geodude family, Onix family, and Rhyhorn family.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
They don't work on Ground-types, though, I just removed the secondary Ground-type from some of the rock Pokemon like the Geodude family, Onix family, and Rhyhorn family.

I was simply noting that, in terms of what it would seem, it works on pokemon who are Ground.

Spoiler:

Also, there should be a way to hurt Brock's pokemon without forcing people to use Pika. BEFORE you flame me everyone, remember that SOME of us like using other pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2010
sorry to be the odd one out but how do i play i downnloaded it and now it dont seem to work is this for the VBA or do i download something else?

Last edited:
Back