• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Kanto Power Plant
Bringing power to the Kanto and Johto Regions around the clock!
Source Game: Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version
This map is the basement of the renovated power plant, it's where the actual electrical grid is now. It's one of the first dungeons, and serves as the place where you fight Team Rocket for the first time. For some reason, Team Rocket has attacked the Kanto Power plant, and sabotaged the power for the region. Why? Nobody knows. What are they trying to achieve, i suppose you'll just have to find out.

14 Grunts (12 on this map, 2 more topside), 5 are mandatory. The two double battles are optional fights. The grunt around the 9 generators runs around them in Figure-Eight style, the one around the crates circles them.

There are four item balls, but one of them is a fake. Do you feel lucky?

This is honestly the first time I've attempted to construct an original dungeon, without copying any other maps. I'd really appreciate some legitimate and serious constructive feedback if possible, so I know how and where need to improve.

Warning, picture is large.
External Link: http://i.imgur.com/AnfWnrJ.jpg
Spoiler:

Edit: I already fixed that tile error near the 9 generators.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
This is honestly the first time I've attempted to construct an original dungeon, without copying any other maps. I'd really appreciate some legitimate and serious constructive feedback if possible, so I know how and where need to improve.

I like it, it seems pretty cool. I like the idea of it and how its set up but it just seems...cluttered in some places, and empty in others: empty near the top left of the main map, and cluttered with the amount of barrels in one area. Good job! 8/10

heres a map of mine, its a hidden village from my forest, and players who manage to find this will have a nice reward ;P but you need to work for it! its a rough draft, and I need to add some cabins or huts, but this is a base.
Spoiler:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014

I'm gonna be honest your custom sprites don't go well with the FR/LG sprites, if you changed the FR/LG sprites to fit this would look amazing.

I'm not really seeing how this could benefit from cabins and huts maybe an underground city would put a swing on things, it is entirely your choice but you could have one main entrance which leads to each house.

Not bad for a draft but does need improvement. 6.8/10

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
I like it, it seems pretty cool. I like the idea of it and how its set up but it just seems...cluttered in some places, and empty in others: empty near the top left of the main map, and cluttered with the amount of barrels in one area. Good job! 8/10

heres a map of mine, its a hidden village from my forest, and players who manage to find this will have a nice reward ;P but you need to work for it! its a rough draft, and I need to add some cabins or huts, but this is a base.
Spoiler:

I agree with Serperion.

The default RMXP tiles don't fit with the Pokémon tiles. At all. I think you'd be better off using the giant tree that is in Bugsy's Gym in HeartGold/SoulSilver with a few recolors. The innermost/outer ledges off the craters you're using the wrong curvatures. I would recommend recoloring one to fit these certain tiles.

If anything, you could switch over to HeartGold/SoulSilver tiles and you could fine many more tiles to fit this particular sections. However, it is decent for a rough draft. My rating is a 6.5/10.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I'm gonna be honest your custom sprites don't go well with the FR/LG sprites, if you changed the FR/LG sprites to fit this would look amazing.

I'm not really seeing how this could benefit from cabins and huts maybe an underground city would put a swing on things, it is entirely your choice but you could have one main entrance which leads to each house.

Not bad for a draft but does need improvement. 6.8/10
I see what you guys mean, I wasn't entirely sure how good they were, but I needed a huge tree x.x
you have an interesting idea with cave people, but these are more forest people; they are devote "sages" to the pokemon mew. They are awaiting someone who is pure of heart from the "outer-realm" as they call it (basically a good person from outside the forest) However it is not the player XP
I may make their houses trees...

I agree with Serperion.

The default RMXP tiles don't fit with the Pokémon tiles. At all. I think you'd be better off using the giant tree that is in Bugsy's Gym in HeartGold/SoulSilver with a few recolors. The innermost/outer ledges off the craters you're using the wrong curvatures. I would recommend recoloring one to fit these certain tiles.

If anything, you could switch over to HeartGold/SoulSilver tiles and you could fine many more tiles to fit this particular sections. However, it is decent for a rough draft. My rating is a 6.5/10.

"The innermost/outer ledges off the craters you're using the wrong curvatures. I would recommend recoloring one to fit these certain tiles. "
^what do you mean? I'm not sure what you're referring to...
and as much as I love gen4 graphics, I'm using them for something else, and this map needs to be in gen3
However, would a recoloring of the logs work in a gen3 map? I love them so much >w<

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
I see what you guys mean, I wasn't entirely sure how good they were, but I needed a huge tree x.x
you have an interesting idea with cave people, but these are more forest people; they are devote "sages" to the pokemon mew. They are awaiting someone who is pure of heart from the "outer-realm" as they call it (basically a good person from outside the forest) However it is not the player XP
I may make their houses trees...

"The innermost/outer ledges off the craters you're using the wrong curvatures. I would recommend recoloring one to fit these certain tiles. "
^what do you mean? I'm not sure what you're referring to...
and as much as I love gen4 graphics, I'm using them for something else, and this map needs to be in gen3
However, would a recoloring of the logs work in a gen3 map? I love them so much >w<

Look you've really only got to change the floor and the trees, you could change the tree tiles so they all interlock together to form a more dense forest. If you change the ground I recommend adding some shadows like you did with the big tree.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Look you've really only got to change the floor and the trees, you could change the tree tiles so they all interlock together to form a more dense forest. If you change the ground I recommend adding some shadows like you did with the big tree.

change the ground?
what do you mean... do you mean make it like a dark dense forest? because this is more of a closed off area thats hilly and surrounded by trees; you can only access it by going through an underground cave.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
change the ground?
what do you mean... do you mean make it like a dark dense forest? because this is more of a closed off area thats hilly and surrounded by trees; you can only access it by going through an underground cave.

What I mean is make the trees inter-connect to show it is locked off, and change the ground to be shaded considering you did the same for the large tree.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Hey guys. This is Route 3 from my game. I just redid it and fixed a few tile errors and stuff like that. It is meant to be "hilly" route, yet not mountainous. Down leads to the home town (Lily Town) and is blocked by trees until you have cut. Up leads to Vetus Town which I have yet to make.

zela_route_3_by_rayd12smitty-d5w3d9r.png

A few quick facts on the route. The two trees that look different are Headbutt Trees. The house is home to a small business called "Tree Co." The owner is in the small area to the upper right that you can't get to until you can surf. She will give you a Treecko later on. (I made a Pun!) There is a hidden item on the small upraised area just south of the house, an item blocked by a route down the sideways stairs, and an item blocked by a Cut Tree in that little area in the upper left by the small pond.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Hey guys. This is Route 3 from my game. I just redid it and fixed a few tile errors and stuff like that. It is meant to be "hilly" route, yet not mountainous. Down leads to the home town (Lily Town) and is blocked by trees until you have cut. Up leads to Vetus Town which I have yet to make.

A few quick facts on the route. The two trees that look different are Headbutt Trees. The house is home to a small business called "Tree Co." The owner is in the small area to the upper right that you can't get to until you can surf. She will give you a Treecko later on. (I made a Pun!) There is a hidden item on the small upraised area just south of the house, an item blocked by a route down the sideways stairs, and an item blocked by a Cut Tree in that little area in the upper left by the small pond.
Two small points: 1. Is the gatehouse necessary? 2. That bridge is only one tile "high", yet the player's sprite is more than one tile high.

Everything else is just my subjective opinion. The grass strips between layers of the cliffs look odd, although I realise this is probably just because of a limited tileset. The cliffs are perhaps a little more squared than they should be (most obvious in the major cliff areas, but there's straight lines all over the place). The path at the southern end stops for no real reason, contrary to what the abundance of paths in the rest of the map might suggest should happen.

Otherwise, it's a nice little route. There probably isn't any room for a few jumpable ledges, even if they might help with the hilly feel.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Two small points: 1. Is the gatehouse necessary? 2. That bridge is only one tile "high", yet the player's sprite is more than one tile high.

Everything else is just my subjective opinion. The grass strips between layers of the cliffs look odd, although I realise this is probably just because of a limited tileset. The cliffs are perhaps a little more squared than they should be (most obvious in the major cliff areas, but there's straight lines all over the place). The path at the southern end stops for no real reason, contrary to what the abundance of paths in the rest of the map might suggest should happen.

Otherwise, it's a nice little route. There probably isn't any room for a few jumpable ledges, even if they might help with the hilly feel.

I cant really do anything about the strips between cliff layers. I've tried but I am limited like you said. Thanks I fixed the bridge and the path at the bottom. The gatehouse is necessary because I already have 6 maps connected to this the other way and the events are starting to make it lag.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Alright. I fixed up my Route that I posted a few days ago.

Zela Region Route 3

Spoiler:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Here's one of my maps, Route 1 of Pokémon Carbon.

Spoiler:

Its an ok first route although I don't like all the square shapes of it. The path at the top should just be one path not split I recommend keeping the lower half. Secondly a lot of your grass is very square-like and you should try to make it be more closer to the trees and make it more longer so that it looks like it is the end of the tree line. I like the idea of having the area elevate in the last quarter of the map but I'd recommend making it two different staircases having one go up one level and another go up two. Finally with that mountain on the right you could change that to become another exit to the route and have a strength boulder block it.

Overall this map is pretty generic for first route maps to a game. The main thing you should focus on is that unless if your hometown is big this route should look like it hasn't been touched by mankind. 7.2/10

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years

Spoiler:

I really like this map.
It gives off the feel of being an official map, in the way it's been layed out.
You have used the "official map"-square-style, as I call it, and you executed it nicely,
but I think you left too much empty space on the mountain, where the flowers are.

A flowerfield can be nice, but they are both a little too big IMO.

Also; I think you have overused the "empty-little-square-in-the-tall-grass"-tile.
The ones in the lower grass-patch just seems out of place.

I also think you might want to add some sort of more interesting area to the route. Maybe just a very small lake off
to the right, but at least something. Because right now, it seems a little uninteresting.

I quite like the roundabout-dirt-path near around the sign, though.

Score: 8/10

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Here's something I just made.
randomcave.png

You enter the cave at the lower right corner, trying to make your way to the ladder leading up.
There won't be any random wild Pokemon in this cave, instead, the mud acts like tall grass.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years

Spoiler:

I agree with tImE, the holes in the grass patches look out of place and the whole route just looks too linear. I'm only speaking from personal experience here because I've had a habit like that for ages.

Here's route 2 remastered:

Spoiler:

Riansky

Purr
Years
I agree with tImE, the holes in the grass patches look out of place and the whole route just looks too linear. I'm only speaking from personal experience here because I've had a habit like that for ages.

Here's route 2 remastered:

Spoiler:

Too much empty space. The grass patches are just placed randomly and it looks weird. Same goes for trees. Whole route seems really weird. And also the mountains have no shadows. The map could be a good map but you have to fix most of it first.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@Rayquaza.: Hmm... Your map seems to have a few issues.

First off, there's the tall grass, the placement of it is pretty bad. It's possible to get through the route without ever setting foot in it. The patches in the lower-right corner are useless, since there are too few of them to effectively search for wild pokes.

The top of the mountain in the center needs some work too, its too empty, and again the grass placement isn't good.

There's a pretty large sea of grass on the left side of the map, in contrast to the rather scarce amounts of grass on the other parts. The checkerboard-ish pattern doesn't really look good. I suggest breaking it up in 2 or 3 pools of grass.

The pools on the dike look really misplaced, I think you'd be better of if you removed them. The cave doesn't really seem to fit there either. The zigzagging path that lead to the cave is just ridiculous. It doesn't provide any challenge, and it looks like it was just placed there to annoy the player by forcing it to take a boring detour.

That wraps it up I think, it can turn into a really good map with a little effort. Hope this helped you!

By the way, I noticed some errors on the map I previously posted, here's a revised version:
randomcave.png

Lemme just Copy-paste the description so you won't have to scroll all the way up ;)
Comments are much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back