• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Original Moves - Acceptable in Fics?

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
Years
I've seen in several fan fics moves invented by the author, and not seen in the anime or games. Sometimes they're accepted as wonderfully creative, and other times bogus. What is your opinion of original moves? Are there conditions?

In a couple fics I've seen original moves that are used by trainers in casual battles, but are banned from official battles such as Gym and League battles. What do you think of this?

My personal opinion is that original moves can be good, depending on the way they're presented. If just one trainer has new moves and/or all these moves are invincible, they're not good. If they're balanced and follow basic game logic (meaning an attack can be based only on one type or some other canon), and they're balanced in power proportionate to the skill of trainer & Pokemon, they can work.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
Since they don't really explain which moves are allowed in official battles, there isn't really much to go on as to whether or not a specific move can be used.

As for original moves, I think they're a good idea, as they keep the FanFic from being too redindant with the same attacks and battle styles over and over again. Now I'm not saying that using the pre-set abilities of the Pokemon is bad, just that it is often difficult to come up with creative ways to fight only using those.

Now of course, you should use original moves sparingly. And each one should be explained in full detail, so the reader knows exactly what is going on with the move.

For instance, one of mine is Cosmo-Shift, which turns the characters and Pokemon etherial and temporarily allows them to go through objects. In a sense, they are temporarily invincible, but the opposite is also true. They can't attack anything in this state.

This is just an example, of course. There are many more that can be invented. Just use your imagination and remember, detail.

Also remember that it is YOUR story anyway. If you want an original move in it, it's your decision, regardless of what others think. I personally like the idea, but that's just an opinion.

Back