• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Tutorial: pokemon detector world map.

mitchel1

Rom-hacker/scripter
Years
The pokemon detector world map.
Well, you people might think, what the hell is the pokemon detector world map?
well it's the small map that showing you where you can find wild pokemon in your pokedex.
I'll try to explain you how to change it inclusive screenshots.
This might only work on Fire red.
enjoy ^^

---------------------------------------
Programs you'll need
----------------------------------------
FSF (Free Space Finder)
unLZ.gba
XSE or HEX calculator
VBA
Your rom

Tutorial
Step 1: Open unLZ.gba and find the world map on 16 collor mode/ Black and white!. try to find the world map between the codes: 314-330. you'll see small part from the map click on the + or - untill it's seems like this.
n4ceiu.png

Step 2: Save your map, it'll be the best if you save it like .png you map will see like this in paint. if you want to create your own map in this, Hold the same collors and do not change them!.
8xuesn.png

After you've created your own map it'll looks a bit like this:
ydoxs.jpg

Don't steal this map, it's for pokemon dark cry the legend of giratina! and .jpg isn't pretty.

Step 3: Open your unLZ.gba again and go to your world map again. now it's time to insert ^^ open your world map and click on the follow buttons: 'Inport Image', 'Auto abort' and 'Fix pointers' it might will save 'Compressed size is: ... Which is to big. Aborting.' if this not happend your world map is already inserted. if this will happend then follow the follow instructions.

Step 4: Open your Hex calculator or in my option XSE. Because it has a hex calculator.
Do you remember the 'Compressed size is: ... Which is to big. Aborting.' the number that has been located on the ..., that one must be written in de HEX calculator after you did this click on the DEC. function and a follow number will be showed 'Example: 900'

Step 5: Open now your FSF (Free Space Finder) and open your rom. now the functions will be able to use. now change the 64 that has been locted right of the 'Needed Bytes' to 900 (if you don't know what i mean with 900 look back at step 4) now click on search and copy the offset that will be selected.

Step 6: Ok great ^^ now we have the offset, now go to your unLZ.gba again and find your map again. now repeat what you did on step 3, I repeat: inport your world map and click on 'Write to rom' and click on the follow buttons: 'Inport Image', 'Auto abort' and 'Fix pointers' Do never click on inport pallet it'll screw up your game. Ok now paste your offset in 'Image offset' behind the 00.... (screen)
Now click on OK.
15zihqr.png

Step 7: Now it'll say: ''Ptr found at 00...... Changed.'' if this shows up you can be happy because you repoint and inserted the world map correct.
*NOTE* on the ..... will be stand the new offset like example: 00235CEC

Step 8: Open now your hack. After you've recieved your pokedex, or you just script it xD
It'll looked like this:
ivg803.png

*NOTE* I still need to figure out how you can change the route line of the wild pokemon location ^^

That was all
---------------------------
© Mitchel1 Do not claim this tutorial like you've made it/place it on other site without premision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2014
Hey guys, weird enough i did everything correctly as you have stated i am new to hacking and my map did not change is it because in my testing file i already had the pokedex?

Years
Hey guys, weird enough i did everything correctly as you have stated i am new to hacking and my map did not change is it because in my testing file i already had the pokedex?

maybe you didnt do somethink correct ..and i am new in hacking too :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2014
No that is whats so weird i did everything correctly and received the message that says "changed ptr..." but it doesn't change it

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
8xuesn.png
ydoxs.jpg
You screwed up Water and Land. Land is the dark one and water is the light one. You used the light (Water in Kanto) for the dark (Water in Your region). Just thought Id point that out. Im pretty sure it doesnt matter.

Back