• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How long did it take for you to beat Pokemon R/B/Y?

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
And did you take the time to catch the Pokemons in each area? or did you mainly just defeat the gym leaders and the elite 4 and focus on your party?

Made this topic from the suggestion of Sydian, instead of asking it on another thread :).

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, I thought it could be a nice discussion instead of a small question in the Q&A thread haha. :P

Anyway, I think my first time playing Red, my play time was around 55 hours? Which is my general time for first playthroughs I believe. If you meant the amount of days, I couldn't tell ya cause that was soooo long ago haha. I don't bother catching all the Pokemon, but in RBY if you want to get certain items from the aides, you kinda have to take that extra time, so yeah, I did that just for the items, but I only raised Pokemon that I wanted to keep with me permanently.

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
The first time I've ever played through Red, I picked Charizard. I didn't know much about pokemon so I basically fought EVERYTHING with this Charizard. It got to that point when you grind one pokemon and nothing else that you basically could one-hit any pokemon. I believe my playthrough was around 60 hours.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
70-79 Hours, give or take.
My first game was Red, chose Squirtle, and made the usual dumb mistakes (Used a Masterball on a tentacool) and did pretty well throughout the game. I can't believe I remember this..

SamuJake

Years
Haha don't worry, I used a masterball on a Ponyta once. I know the feeling.

I just finished the Pokemon tower in lavender town and caught over 50 Pokemon and I've clocked up about 28 hours.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I probably beat the E4 around 50-ish hours.I picked Charmander and did pretty well.But i used the Masterball to catch Moltres so when i encountered Mewtwo i was screwed, couldn't catch it:(

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
The first game I got was Pokemon Blue and I picked Bulbasuar (I didn't know better) and captured the first five Pokemon that I've seen in the wild and used them as my Pokemon team. It probably took me about 30ish hours to beat the game because of my horrible team and afterwards, I tried to capture them all.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2012
I dont remember the time and I am scared to look for my red cartridge and turn it on because I'm worried that the battery might have died and all my favorite old pokemon erased :( But I know the clack was stopped at 255 hours

SamuJake

Years
Defeated the elite 4 today, got about 40hrs.
..now to catch all the Pokemon I couldn't be bothered to get whilst playing the game and catching other Pokemon.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I thought to beat the game you had to catch all of the Pokemon so I had spent a good amount of time on Blue version. Probably more than 100 hours. Of course I eventually gave up after learning you can't actually catch them all. I spent probably 50 hours alone in the Safari Zone lol. To beat the actual Elite 4 though, I think I did that towards the end of the 100 hours, my Pokemon were pretty prepared for those battles. ;P

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I think it was about 60 hours when I finished the first time. I used my masterball on Articuno because I couldn't catch it, but I never saved before approaching it. Thought it was some sort of friendly pokemon, wasn't expecting a battle.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2013
I just found my old GBC, I did not restart my red as that game is totally finished minus waiting for trades of pokemon that are uncatachble in the game. That one says 41.07, keep in mind I was about 10 when I played that, and without the use of game walkthroughs. Also the rare candy cheat was learned towards the end of the game play. When I restarted blue 3 days ago I just finished it last night, with 18.24, however I have not caught every pokemon, just finished the gym/elite 4 and caught all the legendaries, including mew (I wish I knew that glitch when I was a kid I would have been so cool!), I also used the rare candy/cofee man glitch to speed through a bit.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
LONG, I was like 6/7 when I played it so I had no idea what I was doing. Initially I didn't even know how to save even though my friend at the time told me countless times so I had to start over everytime because I just turned it off haha.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
About 40-60 hourse I replayed the game to try every pokemon's capability. I still do though so really I do generally skip catching all the pokemon but I transfer all my teams to a multiple cartridges and have stockpiled every pokemon but mew.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Around 30~40, I can't remember clearly... The only reason why I was able to complete this game quite fast its because I saw my cousin playing it and I know where to go and such.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Around 30-40, I beat the Elite Four with the best team (that I can't remember because I was like 10) and I beat Mewtwo and saved on that area like Red on Mt. Silver. I did the same thing with Emerald by saving atop Sky Pillar. I only caught like a few because I didn't have the time to complete the Pokedex but I did grind extremely like 80 or more.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm not good with remembering save file times but I know I always get bored of the original RBY games about halfway through, so I generally beat the games in increments that can span for months xc

I do that with most of my Pokemon games anymore, though.

Years
I dunno about the first time, as I was 3/4, but my most recent completion was about a week, when I decided to complete it with nothing but a Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff. It took forever, but it eventually paid off.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
My first time I beat it, it probably took me 25-30 hours because I didn't use a guide and I tried to get everything I could.

Back