• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Acid Rain glitch

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I was playing through Pokémon Platimun and I was doing the double battle with Dawn to get her Pokédex back, when her Clefariy used gravity, and In a few turns time, a glitch triggered known as the acid rain glitch. This is where the game thinks that all weather conditons are in play, causing damage to Pokémon.

Have you ever encountered this glitch? Do you think it's a interesting one?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I've never heard of it but it certainly sounds interesting -how do you trigger it and what exactly happens when you do? :o Does it just cycle through each weather condition or does it say 'acid rain' or what? Is it easy to do/common? I'd love to hear more about it, it sounds like a fun glitch haha.

Sirfetch’d

I am not aware of this glitch either, but it certainly does interest me. I'll probably google about it now and try to make it happen, haha.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I am not aware of this glitch either, but it certainly does interest me. I'll probably google about it now and try to make it happen, haha.

Bulbapedia said:
Acid rain
From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Acid rain is a glitch in Pokémon Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver that results in the simultaneous occurrence of all weather conditions at once, thus damaging all Pokémon on the field. Even though it was discovered before the English release of Platinum, it is present in all versions of the mentioned games.
[edit]Cause

If any weather effect (including Trick Room, Gravity, and Uproar, but excluding rain) is in effect, and a player of Platinum, HeartGold, or SoulSilver uses Pursuit on a Pokémon that is switching out on that turn and causes it to faint, this glitch will activate. Upon sending out the next Pokémon, the weather will have changed, and all four weather conditions will be occurring at once until the end of the battle.
This will occur if the user of Pursuit is the host, even if the host game is Diamond or Pearl.
[edit]Effects

If Trick Room, Gravity, or Uproar is in effect when the glitch is activated, they will activate the glitch, along with any other effects with priority below it. The priority is:
Trick Room
Gravity
Uproar
Fog (hurts after animation)
Hail (hurts after animation)
Sunshine (hurts after animation)
Sandstorm (hurts after animation)
Rain (hurts after animation; glitch cannot be activated using this weather)
Other moves with multiple-turn effects, such as Mud Sport, Water Sport, Tailwind, and Perish Song, will not be affected and work normally.
Even if the Pokémon is normally immune to a weather condition due to its type (Ice-type Pokémon with hail, and Rock-, Ground-, and Steel-type Pokémon with a sandstorm), they will accumulate damage four times each turn, with the cause of the damage identified as their Ability, rather than the weather. In this way, a Pikachu in battle can be hurt by its Static, a Weezing by its Levitate, or an Empoleon by its Torrent.
However, if the Pokémon is immune to both Hail and Sandstorm, like Swinub, that Pokémon will be immune to all of the damaging effects of this glitch.
Conversely, a Pokémon with an Ability that heals it in certain weather conditions, such as Ice Body or Rain Dish, will not take damage, but instead be healed four times every turn until they are fully healed, and then, the weather will hurt it. Dry Skin, which heals in some weather and hurts in other weather will work as it normally does, healing with one condition and hurting with the other.
Both Thunder and Blizzard have 100% accuracy, due to simultaneous rain and hail. SolarBeam will require no charging due to the sun, but its damage will also become decreased by 50% due to the other three weather conditions.
If a Castform or Cherrim is brought into battle, their Abilities will cause them to constantly transform, thus locking up the battle until the game is turned off. Castform will only transform between its Sun and Rain forms due to those particular weather conditions being the first two to occur (and thus, Castform recognizes these as being the only two weather conditions on the field).

I went to bulbapedia after seeing this and now I kinda want to try it since it has fairly easy trigger.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Bulbapdeia said:
Acid rain
From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Acid rain is a glitch in Pokémon Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver that results in the simultaneous occurrence of all weather conditions at once, thus damaging all Pokémon on the field. Even though it was discovered before the English release of Platinum, it is present in all versions of the mentioned games.
[edit]Cause

If any weather effect (including Trick Room, Gravity, and Uproar, but excluding rain) is in effect, and a player of Platinum, HeartGold, or SoulSilver uses Pursuit on a Pokémon that is switching out on that turn and causes it to faint, this glitch will activate. Upon sending out the next Pokémon, the weather will have changed, and all four weather conditions will be occurring at once until the end of the battle.
This will occur if the user of Pursuit is the host, even if the host game is Diamond or Pearl.
[edit]Effects

If Trick Room, Gravity, or Uproar is in effect when the glitch is activated, they will activate the glitch, along with any other effects with priority below it. The priority is:
Trick Room
Gravity
Uproar
Fog (hurts after animation)
Hail (hurts after animation)
Sunshine (hurts after animation)
Sandstorm (hurts after animation)
Rain (hurts after animation; glitch cannot be activated using this weather)
Other moves with multiple-turn effects, such as Mud Sport, Water Sport, Tailwind, and Perish Song, will not be affected and work normally.
Even if the Pokémon is normally immune to a weather condition due to its type (Ice-type Pokémon with hail, and Rock-, Ground-, and Steel-type Pokémon with a sandstorm), they will accumulate damage four times each turn, with the cause of the damage identified as their Ability, rather than the weather. In this way, a Pikachu in battle can be hurt by its Static, a Weezing by its Levitate, or an Empoleon by its Torrent.
However, if the Pokémon is immune to both Hail and Sandstorm, like Swinub, that Pokémon will be immune to all of the damaging effects of this glitch.
Conversely, a Pokémon with an Ability that heals it in certain weather conditions, such as Ice Body or Rain Dish, will not take damage, but instead be healed four times every turn until they are fully healed, and then, the weather will hurt it. Dry Skin, which heals in some weather and hurts in other weather will work as it normally does, healing with one condition and hurting with the other.
Both Thunder and Blizzard have 100% accuracy, due to simultaneous rain and hail. SolarBeam will require no charging due to the sun, but its damage will also become decreased by 50% due to the other three weather conditions.
If a Castform or Cherrim is brought into battle, their Abilities will cause them to constantly transform, thus locking up the battle until the game is turned off. Castform will only transform between its Sun and Rain forms due to those particular weather conditions being the first two to occur (and thus, Castform recognizes these as being the only two weather conditions on the field).

Ah, so that's how it triggers. When I was doing the battle to get Dawn's Pokédex back, she withdrew her Clefariy, but a Zubat used Pursuit on it to knock it out before she switched her pokémon, thus causing the affect.

I've also read that this glitch doesn't occur in Diamond or Pearl, just Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. Bizarre, as you'd expect Diamond and Pearl to be the least stable due to them being released on then new hardware the DS.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Wow, despite having played these games numerous times, I never knew about this glitch. I guess you do learn something new everyday! I might try it out on a spare Pearl of mine, one that I don't value too much (just in case something happens). 8)

This also makes me ponder if there's any other glitches within DPPt or HGSS!

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I've always wanted a poison-type weather condition called Acid Rain. It annoys me that whenever people, not just me, bring this up to a conversation, there's always that person who matter-of-factly says "We already had Acid Rain weather" despite this being a fanmade term which does not favor poison types.

Aside from this bias, glitches in general are pretty cool, although I would never go out of my way to activate it.

Back