• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pounce! - The Cat Pokémon Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
tumblr_mpl0rsNWZB1refwjmo1_1280.png

IMPROVED GRAPHICS COMING SOON!
Look forward to: userbars, badges, a new look for the club and much more!

From Acinonyx to Uncia - from the great wild warriors of the outdoors to our cuddly indoor friends, this is a club dedicated to an Pokemon related to cats. If you love cats and you love Pokemon, then you're gonna like this club.

RULES
1. All of PC's regular rules apply.
2. To join, you must fill out the sign-up sheet. Simple logic!
3. Have fun!

Sign-Up Sheet
Username:
Do you want to go by a nickname? If so, your nickname is:
Pick a partner Pokemon (optional):
Pick your partner's nickname (optional):
Your favorite real-life cat:
Your favorite cat Pokemon:
An answer to the topic:

Members List
Narnia & her Liepard
510MS.png

AlexOzzyCake & Mittens the Skitty
300MS.png

Snowdrop & Baba the Entei
244MS.png

Miau & Duchess the Purrloin
509MS.png

Astinus & Speedy the Meowth
052MS.png

TwilightBlade & Dream the Delcatty
301.png

Jellicentfan1 & Sparks the Jolteon
135MS.png

Angelomanalo & Meow the Sneasel
215MS.png

Starlight Sprite & Trixie the Umbreon
197MS.png

Cirno & Vanilla the Skitty
300MS.png

BlueEspeon & Kitty the Espeon
196MS.png

ErikaInRainbowCity & Cleo the Persian
053MS.png

Stoney the Togekiss & Abigale the Absol
359MS.png

Frozax & Icicle the Glaceon
471MS.png

Magistrum & her Glaceon
471MS.png

Topic
Why do you think Nintendo made many cat Pokemon so awful to use in battle? Does it irritate you?

List of Cats or Partial Cats

052MS.png
053MS.png
059MS.png
133MS.png
134MS.png
135MS.png
136MS.png
151MS.png
150MS.png
187MS.png
196MS.png
197MS.png
215MS.png
243MS.png
244MS.png
245MS.png
300MS.png
301MS.png
335MS.png
359MS.png
403MS.png
404MS.png
405MS.png
431MS.png
432MS.png
461MS.png
470MS.png
471MS.png
509MS.png
510MS.png

Species Guide
Meowth: Lucky Cat, Persian: Limber and Cross-Domestic-Puma-Cat & Myth, Arcanine: Traits of Lions and Tigers, Eevee: Fox & Domestic Cat, Vaporeon: Fox & Domestic Cat, Jolteon: Fox & Domestic Cat, Flareon: Fox & Domestic Cat, Mew: Traits of a Cat, Mewtwo: Based off of Mew, Hoppip: Unofficially a Domestic Cat, Espeon: Fox & Domestic Cat, Umbreon: Fox & Domestic Cat, Sneasel: Weasel & Dark Cat & Mythology, Raikou: Mythological Beast in Form of Tiger, Entei: Fu Lion, Suicune: Mythological Beast in Leopard Form yet Sharing Wolf-Like Similarities, Skitty: Domestic Cat, Delcatty: Domestic Cat & Possibly Show/Purebred Cat, Zangoose: Mostly Mongoose but Shares Traits with Cats, Absol: Many Mythological Possibilities Most Likely Being the Barghest or a Giant Cougar-Like Animal, Shinx: Lion Cub, Luxio: Adolescent Lion, Luxray: Adult Male Lion, Glameow: Domestic Cat, Purugly: Domestic Cat, Weavile: Evolution of Sneasel, Leafeon: Fox & Domestic Cat, Glaceon: Fox & Domestic Cat, Purrloin: Domestic Cat, Liepard: Leopard Cat

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Username: Narnia
Partner Pokemon: Liepard
Your favorite real-life cat: Jaguars <3

Your favorite cat Pokemon:
I really like a lot of feline Pokemon out there so it's quite hard to choose a favourite. If I had to narrow it down to two however, I'd say either Liepard or Meowth. I've always liked Meowth after his adorable personality in the anime- plus all his grumbling about the lack of food never gets old! I find Meowth a character that's hard not to love honestly, he's just so charming and cute. Also it's quite fun to use in-game with various attacks like Pay Day which will shower you in money (literally)! I've always personally liked its design too.

I used to not really take a liking to Liepard, but then one day I decided to use it in a battle against one of my friends just for fun and what a beast it was! It even earned the name Haxloin because of it, it seemed to be sneaky and cheating the opponent- always paralyzing, always making them hit themselves in confusion for a ton of damage, after that I saw the light in Liepard. I've liked its design for a while, but I never saw the power in it until that point. It was quite surprising actually, plus that Prankster ability is nice!

An answer to the topic:

Honestly, I've always found every Pokemon strong in its own way- whether it'd be a Caterpie or a huge whale, every Pokemon has a good quality that makes them stand out. The same applies to feline Pokemon! I've always found them valuable team members but I have noticed that in the beginning they're rather hard to work with. It was frustrating they gave feline Pokemon genuinely average stats, but I guess you can't have everything. They also seemed to be lacking most of the powerful moves and didn't have access to a bigger movepool compared to canines or other sorts of Pokemon. As for why they did this, despite cats being known as a witch's pet, they're often outclassed by dogs in terms of power, strength and agility. I'm really not sure why they did this- maybe Gamefreak mistook cats as frail, innocent creatures? I don't know what's going on inside their heads but I'm sure there must be some reasoning behind it. Although if they think cats are all frail and innocent then they're quite wrong (their claws hurt quite a bit).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Yaaay, Snowdrop is back! :D

Username: AlexOzzyCake
Do you want to go by a nickname?: Ozzy!
Pick a partner Pokemon: Skitty, she's so cute eep
Pick your partner's nickname: Mittens :D
Your favorite real-life cat: Olli's cat
Your favorite cat Pokemon: Skitty! It's one of those Pokémon that no matter how you look at it or what it's doing, it's utterly adorable in every single way. I would love to have a pet Skitty just to watch it spin around in circles and be the cutest little ball of fluff. It's a shame that it doesn't become very strong since a beautifully elegant Pokémon like Delcatty would make an excellent partner, were it actually capable of battle haha.

Why do you think Nintendo made many cat Pokemon so awful to use in battle? Does it irritate you?
Purugly is terrifying :(
I think like Sophie said, it's mostly because cats are seen as being innocent/meek creatures with no real interest for fighting and no real fighting capabilities. They certainly aren't seen as the most powerful genus in the world and in a fight against most other animals I think they'd come off quite badly, but there's no reason Nintendo couldn't make a couple of really strong ones. I absolutely love how they made Liepard with his new tactics and using his feline nature as an advantage with his Prankster ability and his methods of skulking around the opponent's moves, but unfortunately it seems like most of the other cat Pokémon out there have been given the roll of below average Pokémon without a chance of succeeding. It's a big shame, but it doesn't stop their cuteness shining through!

Snowdrop

Years
Okay, guys! I'm gonna sign you two up and I'm gonna get started on the graphics. I had a weird feeling this wasn't going to get approved so I didn't start making anything official last night :/ But I did learn some new tricks so hopefully I can get this club looking really good. If you sign up and I don't register you, it's because I'm making the graphics. Busy as a bee! Thank you for approving this, Alex :3

Oh, and I guess I might as well sign myself up xD

Username: Snowdrop
Do you want to go by a nickname? If so, your nickname is: Skitters or Snowene
Pick a partner Pokemon (optional): Entei
Pick your partner's nickname (optional): Baba
Your favorite real-life cat: Lion <3 <3 <3 <3
Your favorite cat Pokemon: A tie between my all-time favorite Pokemon, Entei, Skitty, and Delcatty.
An answer to the topic:
You know, I'm not one for competitive battle. In Gale of Darkness my Delcatty is pretty good with her Sweet Kiss and Secret Power, but she can get taken out quickly. I think with proper support every Pokemon can be a star. There are almost 700 Pokemon. If you're clever in picking partners and a supportive team and Pokemon can work. It's just... really hard with certain cat Pokemon. It seems most cats get kicked out of the park with low defenses but have decent attack. It does kind of irritate me, seeing as to how Skitty, Meowth, Shinx, and Purrloin's lines are considered bad in battle. It's weird, too, because people in Japan seem to really love cats O_O So, IDK, I guess maybe they're too delicate and beautiful to fight in battle? Too feminine? Beats me, but I hope maybe this can be changed a bit in 6th gen!

Last edited:

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Username: MIAU
Do you want to go by a nickname? If so, your nickname is: Miau is just fine ^_^
Pick a partner Pokemon (optional): Purrrrrrloin ♥
Pick your partner's nickname (optional): Duchess
Your favorite real-life cat: My favorite breed would be the Singapura, tiny and noisy and playful. I love all kitties though!
Your favorite cat Pokemon: Purrloin/Liepard. But if we're talking about a particular kitty, then TR's Meowth takes the cake. Loved him since I was a kid watching the anime on TV, and recently I gave a listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4lACo2RvHo

An answer to the topic: Why do you think Nintendo made many cat Pokemon so awful to use in battle? Does it irritate you?

Well, apparently by their logic, you can't have both cuteness and strength. And all the kitty Pokemon are really cute simply because they're kitties. Purugly, what is that? I do like how they've focused on different aspects of the feline nature: Skitty the sickeningly cute, I can't even look at it without getting a cavity ♥; Liepard the cruel trickster, really sneaky in battle; Glameow the proud princess, star of Super Contests; Purugly the I haz too many cheezburgerz and now I shall haz you. I don't know, I think they are fulfilling a certain purpose already, and some even have certain strategies that work really well in battle, like Liepard. I feel like there's no need to have all Pokemon super fit for battle anyway, though sure, I'd like to see a super-strong cat Pokemon. Maybe Litleo's evolutionary line will break the ice in Gen 6.

Snowdrop

Years
Okaaaay, this is probably going to take way longer than expected. I don't even have the title done... sorry, guys, this might even take a few days!

The title plate was the best I could do right now. I'm creating a graphics contest, so I'm going to focus on the graphics for this club secondly because it's basically all set up - the only purpose of graphics is to spiff it up. I'll never understand CSS or any of that fancy technical mumbo-jumbo so it is naturally going to take me longer to set things up... thanks for the patience and I hope you enjoy the club! I'll be adding members much more quickly now and having discussions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Username: Astinus
Do you want to go by a nickname? If so, your nickname is: Asty
Pick a partner Pokemon (optional): Meowth
Pick your partner's nickname (optional): Speedy
Your favorite real-life cat: Siamese. More specifically, my brat of a Siamese cat Pretzel
Your favorite cat Pokemon: Meowth. Since the first day I saw it, it's been one of my top favorite Pokemon. The anime might have had something to do with it.
Why do you think Nintendo made many cat Pokemon so awful to use in battle? Does it irritate you? As others have said, apparently Nintendo/Game Freak don't believe felines to be strong battlers. Other species have at least one good battler, but cats get treated less than equal when it comes to strength. This doesn't mean that they're completely unusable. It just takes a little work on them.

This thread reminds me of how I was going to raise a Purugly to win all the Beauty contests in my Pearl version.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Eep just read through the first post, I'd completely forgotten about some of those Pokémon! Sneasel and Weavile are curious picks though - are they really cats? :o If they are then I'm absolutely thrilled, it's a great "we're vicious" dimension to the genus and they're such quirky Pokémon at that. As the Shinx and Eevee lines, I adore both of those, but always figured they were more canine haha. And I want to be an ecologist eek.

Snowdrop

Years
You thought Shinx was more canine? O_o And I always thought Sneasel was just a weasel but I read its Bubla page and it said it could be based off of black cats and such, so I just included it.

Oo, an ecologist is great! I heard they don't pay that well, though :/

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I'm glad to see so many Pokemon in the list, all of them definitely have feline features, mixed with other animals, like Eevee & co. being based off foxes, Arcanine is a Chinese komainu, AKA lion-dog, Zangoose looks a bit like a Persian cat -- one of my False Swipers is actually a Zangoose called Kitty, hehe.

And then there's Hoppip! Oh my gosh, I never realized it looks so much like a kitty! Apparently the necco in its name stands for root, but I will always see it like neko from now on ^_^

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
So fun question - if all the feline Pokémon were to have a big battle royale, who do you guys think would win? :D

I'm putting my bets on Raikou - his Aura Sphere will destroy most Normal-type Cat Pokémon haha.

Snowdrop

Years
Ooh, fun question! Now let's see... I wouldn't put any legendaries in an arena with regulars, especially seeing as to how weak the cats are. In a game perspective at least. In the gaming perspective, the legendaries' statistics are just so much superior to the others that they would probably be crushed if it hasn't been trained properly. But it all depends on who is on one 6-member team and who is on the other.

In the non-battle sense, we've seen Pikachu take on some seriously tough Pokemon and win by a landslide. Normal-types can learn just about everything. Yet the legendary cats are all gods of elements. So I think the winner would probably be Suicune since she seems to have control of multiple elements, water, wind and crystal (?), as well as Ice since she is a Water Type. I might edit this to form a more in-depth answer :D

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Username: TwilightBlade
Do you want to go by a nickname? If so, your nickname is: Blade
Pick a partner Pokemon (optional): Delcatty
Pick your partner's nickname (optional): Dream

Your favorite real-life cat: Olli's cat

Your favorite cat Pokemon: Delcatty! I love its design, especially its ears, cheeks, collar, tail, asddfgf;; everything about her. Her shiny form is so lovely too. I had to chain a shiny Skitty no matter how many hours it took. I love the Eeveelutions as well - so furry and fun to use in battle. I also like Arcanine, Sneasel, Absol, and Luxray. The black stripes/fur look really good. :3

If all the feline Pokémon were to have a big battle royale, who do you guys think would win?
Mewtwo would decimate most of the felines here, though maybe Weavile's dark attacks and Suicune's/Umbreon's tanking abilities could halt it. If legendaries were removed from the playing field, I think Vaporeon or Arcanine would surpass many felines in combat since they have balanced stats.

do you need css?

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Years
^ I don't know what CSS is essentially, codes and all that technical stuff confuses the daylights out of me. And I'm weird with graphics, I have to be the one to make them. It's weird, but it's just me :C Thank you oodles, though! I'm just being lazy. I'll get on it eventually, maybe on Sunday after I'm done going to the fairgrounds.

Oh shoot, I did forget about Mew and Mewtwo. Mew, the apparent mother of all Pokemon, would win I guess. I mean... it can be anything and learn anything.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I love your header banner so you're lovely with graphics, but if I code some CSS, that means I'd put everything in a box.. with a tan or white background? :D

I totally forgot about Mew... In an ideal world (in the anime lol), Mew would transform and gain a type advantage. Mewtwo has more raw power, though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I chose to forget about Mew and Mewtwo because they're simply too over-powered haha. But I guess if they were included I'd place my bets on Mewtwo, simply because he can cover practically any type that he comes up against, and the whole time having the highest stats of all. His base power is remarkable compared to most of the other cats so I don't think they'd stand a chance, especially given his moves, but perhaps they'd recognise this and gang up on him haha. Mew would be great too but I think he'd be too passive to fight properly :p

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Username: angelomanalo
Do you want to go by a nickname? If so, your nickname is: Angelo
Pick a partner Pokemon: Sneasel or Skitty...maybe Sneasel.
Sneasel: Yes! Now paint my nails purple!
Me: |:|
Pick your partner's nickname (optional): Meow
Your favorite real-life cat: Ocelots
Your favorite cat Pokemon: Skitty
An answer to the topic: Maybe it'd because cats are normal, thus making them slightly useless in battle. It does irritate me, but Skitty can learn Heal Bell just fine.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Username: jellicentfan1
Do you want to go by a nickname? If so, your nickname is: Jelli or Chase
Partner Pokemon: Jolteon
Pick your partner's nickname: Sparks
Your favorite real-life cat: My fluffy orange cat.
Your favorite cat Pokemon: Ughhhh such a tough one as there are so many that are just asdfghj<33333333333333333. I am gonna go with Jolteon though as I just simply love everything about it. It is great in battle, has a great design, and has blazing speed. Did I mention it is also adorable? :D Purrloin is a close second because it annoys the opponent so bad and it's adorable as well!

An answer to the topic:
Basically what others have said about cats being small creatures irl and just people naturally assume they are weak. Also a lot of cats appear pretty early in the games so I assume they wouldn't want to make them OP. Although some cat Pokemon are pretty powerful.

1000th post wooooo!

Snowdrop

Years
Added both of y'all! Angelo, you're going to paint your Sneasel's nails purple? XD

Oh, and I'd say it's time to update the topic, but I can't think of anything too terribly creative so if anyone has any suggestions, spill 'em! :D

If it could exist, would you have any of the Pokemon that resemble domestic cats as pets or would you fear their power too much? If you could have one in real life, would you battle with it, participate in contests with it, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back