• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Its going to be hard for ken :(

Dragonika

Isshu Region Champion
Years
Does anyone agree that because of loads and loads of people creating there own pokemon on deviantart (which by the way are epic sprites ) there going to make it really hard for ken sugimuri the guy who makes the pokemon sprites ... who agrees ?

myrrh25

New account soon.
Years
Disagreed :) Although there are great spriters on deviantart, Ken has given us over 2000 sprites, at least. Ken Sugimori is quite simply, a lot better than the majority of the deviantart spriters. If anything it's going to make his sprites better as he fights for his position of Pokemon Spriter ;)

Dragonika

Isshu Region Champion
Years
I understand what your saying but theres only so many ways a pokemon sprite can go ...

( Thats why i think there only going to bring out like 100 new species of pokemon in B/W )

Myles

Seriously?
Years
How would fanart affect him? He wouldn't even see it. And since there's no clear distinctions on what a Pokemon can look like, it's not like the creativity pool is that limited. The fanart, if anything, shows that; although most of them are of lower quality...

Dragonika

Isshu Region Champion
Years
Low quality pffft you have seen much then ,, plus yes there is a limit to what they can do with it ( Satoshi tagiri the creator of pokemon got the idea from insects there not going to exactley make a pokemon like a robot copying digimon they do animals and they have covered a grate mass of animals now plus if ken creates a sprite for Black or White games which looks like someboys fan art they could get popularity points of kens work ?

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
Keep in mind that Ken doesn't do everything by himself, there's usually a team of a good 10 people that work with him to get everything accomplished. Hironobu Yoshida, for example, designed Pokémon like Deoxys and Wobbuffet even though Sugimori made the primary art for the games.

Plus there's no reason that fanart/fan sprites would influence Pokémon more than it would for any other game, plus there's no saying that they can even see half of the fanart out there.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
But who says they dont get there ideas from fan art no one knows really?
It might have to do with the fact that they were hired by a company to come up with their own ideas and artwork, and being "inspired" by fan-made artwork would open the door to a ton of lawsuits.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Legend has it that Satoshi Tajiri and Ken Sugimori sat down and designed at least 1000 pokemon way back before Red and Green came out in Japan. If this is true, then all of the GenV pokemon were designed years ago and kept hidden is a vault for all this time. XD

Ken Sugimori is an excellent artist, and all the fanart on Deviantart right now is just that. Fanart. Nobody truly expects their design to be Tsutaaja's fully evolved form. Once the official designs are unveiled, people will react in kind, but will most of all accept it as what was officially designed by Suigmori-san himself. :P

As an amateur artist myself, I'd be glad if I ever got just 1% of the admirers Sugimori-san has. XD

Myles

Seriously?
Years
Every creative work you make (text, images, etc.) is automatically copyrighted. Getting a registered copyright only makes it easier to prove you made it first in court, it's not required and usually not done anyway.

Also, the idea of collectable creatures and them being traded was inspired by bug catching. There are robotic-like Pokemon (Magnemite, etc. Golems (as in the regis, not Graveler's evolved form) are close enough as well) anyway.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
Why would it
there fanart isnt exactley copyrighted....
In some circumstances, it actually is.

If I were to create fanart of, say, Lyra from HG/SS, technically nobody owns the copyright. Nintendo/Game Freak owns the character, not me, but they didn't create the picture, I did. I can stop art thieves who copy/redistribute that same picture, but I can't make merchandise (tshirts, mugs, bags, etc.) with the picture on it. Neither can Nintendo/Game Freak.

Now, if I were to create an original character with the same style/structure as the NPC artwork, I would have full copyright of that character. By using the structure I'm using a method or a concept, and methods/concepts can't be copyrighted.

Dragonika

Isshu Region Champion
Years
you have to pay for your creation to be coprighted
so people dont steal your idea ..

Plus there is no pokemon which looks robotic magnamite looks like nuts and bolts put to gether and the regis look like mythical creatures formed to gether by rocks ice and steel componants .

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
Does anyone agree that because of loads and loads of people creating there own pokemon on deviantart (which by the way are epic sprites ) there going to make it really hard for ken sugimuri the guy who makes the pokemon sprites ... who agrees ?

This is ridiculous thinking here. Ken Sugimori has thousands of designs already pre-made for a long time.

Plus there is no pokemon which looks robotic magnamite looks like nuts and bolts put to gether and the regis look like mythical creatures formed to gether by rocks ice and steel componants .

You aren't thinking clearly. Game Freak has all rights to Pokemon, therefore no one else can go and make a pokemon and try to get money from it or use it in a game without being sued.

But who says they dont get there ideas from fan art no one knows really?

Because Ken Sugimori doesnt go browsing American sites all day!

Low quality pffft you have seen much then ,, plus yes there is a limit to what they can do with it ( Satoshi tagiri the creator of pokemon got the idea from insects there not going to exactley make a pokemon like a robot copying digimon they do animals and they have covered a grate mass of animals now plus if ken creates a sprite for Black or White games which looks like someboys fan art they could get popularity points of kens work ?

If you are going to try to and debate something, at least get your point accross with somewhat proper grammar rather than constant rambling.

Copyrights dont have to be paid for. As soon as you make something you have copyright to it, but you have no actual proof you made it. That is why you would go and buy a Copyright so you could show that you made it in court.

It might have to do with the fact that they were hired by a company to come up with their own ideas and artwork, and being "inspired" by fan-made artwork would open the door to a ton of lawsuits.

Pokemon World Online came up with the idea of the Safari Zone in Cianwood first, and Game Freak took it without any problems at all. If there is an idea out there that they like they will innovate off of it, not steal it.

Last edited:
Years
I'm pretty sure Ken doesn't create the sprites. :|

And you do realize Ken isn't the only one designing Pokemon anymore, he has a whole team. I'm sure they don't even
look at most of the Western fanart.

リュザキ

Pokemon Detective
Years

Someone hasn't noticed this on Deviantart on any of their uploaded works.

screenshot20100528at908.png

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
Pokemon World Online came up with the idea of the Safari Zone in Cianwood first, and Game Freak took it without any problems at all. If there is an idea out there that they like they will innovate off of it, not steal it.
Getting permission and then building an idea off of something that another corporation comes up with is different than just plain old taking designs and using them. There's nothing wrong as long as the original artist of the aforementioned fanart/Fakemon has given permission to the company to use the idea.
What this has sounded like to me is that the company would just see ideas and build off of them without contacting the original artist first, which would be wrong. Game Freak/Nintendo wouldn't do that, though, unless they wanted to lose their credibility as a company forever. It's also pretty cheap of them to outsource for ideas, seeing as there's a whole team of people there working together to design everything for the games. Taking shortcuts by looking around the internet for ideas is just a really, really, really stupid idea.

Back