• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Overworlds into FireRed for Dummies

Years
This is the data for the Overworld for the Seagallop Ferry, Overworld Sprite #152.

Code:
FF FF 14 11 FF 11 00 08 40 00 40 00 1A 00 00 00 20 37 3A 08 D0 38 3A 08 68 33 3A 08 A8 1C 3A 08 FC 1C 23 08

The sprite is 64x64, so you should be able to follow the tutorial from that point onwards.

I found the data by multiplying 152 by 36, which gives you (dec) 5472.

At 0x3A3BB0, I selected a block of (dec) 5472 bytes, which led me to the offset 0x3A5110. The code you see above are the first 36 bytes at 0x3A5110; the overworld data for the Seagallop Ferry.

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
The #152 Seagallop Ferry overworld is only using 1 frame of original Fire Red Rom, If I using for a lugia 9 frame overworld it's no problem? Another question, can I add a bigger than 64x64 overworld sprite to the game? Like the #153 S.S. Anne overworld sprite.

Thanks.

Years
The tutorial does tell you how to add more frames, so there shouldn't be any problem there. If you want to use the SS Anne's size for Overworlds, in a Hex Editor go to 0x3A3BB0, select a block of (dec) 36 * 153, then select the next 36 bytes and use them.

munchhack

Advanced Scripter
Years
I need help, I can't find some of the free spaces. I would search them on hex workshop, like 90000 and 910000, and wouldn't find them, if you have an answer please pm me, i would really appreciate it.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2022
Thanks for this amazing tutorial! It was very informative and helped me understand some other things as well. Was able to successfully add my first new Overworld on my first attempt :). I'm surprised this tutorial has only reached two pages!

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2018
Okay, now I have ANOTHER problem. The sprites in the new table all load to the player's palette, which causes weird colour issues. How do I fix this?

Last edited:

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
Years
Okay, now I have ANOTHER problem. The sprites in the new table all load to the player's palette, which causes weird colour issues. How do I fix this?
The only thing I could think of you have the palette number set to the heroes on the new overworlds data.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
I don't get what i'm doing wrong! :( I followed your tutorial PERFECTLY except I wanted 20 OWs instead of 1, so at step 7, instead of putting a 1 in the SpriteCount, I put a 20.

My problem is when I go to OverworldEditor, I can only edit the first index, once I try to go to index 1,2,3,4 ... ect, I keep getting errors! I get an error that says:
"Error 63 (Bad Record Number) in prodecure LoadSpriteStructure of frmOverworldEditor".

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong!?!

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I don't get what i'm doing wrong! :( I followed your tutorial PERFECTLY except I wanted 20 OWs instead of 1, so at step 7, instead of putting a 1 in the SpriteCount, I put a 20.

My problem is when I go to OverworldEditor, I can only edit the first index, once I try to go to index 1,2,3,4 ... ect, I keep getting errors! I get an error that says:
"Error 63 (Bad Record Number) in prodecure LoadSpriteStructure of frmOverworldEditor".

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong!?!

OWERE has a control on how many overworlds and frames you can have based on the original.

Use NSE classic in professional view or whatever and turn off all boundarys.

Remember to create and edit the ini file if necessary. Instructions for it are in the readme that goes with NSE.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
OWERE has a control on how many overworlds and frames you can have based on the original.

Use NSE classic in professional view or whatever and turn off all boundarys.

Remember to create and edit the ini file if necessary. Instructions for it are in the readme that goes with NSE.
Hey sorry to be a bother but how exactly do I switch NSE classic into professional view?

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Thanks for the help but it still doesn't work! I don't know how to access the other sprites, i can only access the 151 OWs that fire red gives you :(

When I try to go to 152, it completely messes up and goes to a random height and width, and the image is a bunch of random colours. Is there any other way of making this work? I want to add more OWs but this game hates me. With this tutorial I can add 1, but I can't add anymore then that!

I hate this part in ROM hacking, this is what turns me away form it. If they made adding OWs and Trainer Sprites easier, I would have a much better time! :(

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Thanks for the help but it still doesn't work! I don't know how to access the other sprites, i can only access the 151 OWs that fire red gives you :(

When I try to go to 152, it completely messes up and goes to a random height and width, and the image is a bunch of random colours. Is there any other way of making this work? I want to add more OWs but this game hates me. With this tutorial I can add 1, but I can't add anymore then that!

I hate this part in ROM hacking, this is what turns me away form it. If they made adding OWs and Trainer Sprites easier, I would have a much better time! :(

So you wanted 20 new sprites instead of 1. As you said, if I read correctly, you can edit the first one. Now, did you do anything besides change the 1 to a 20 in the .ini file? If so, you need to basically repeat the entire tutorial starting at step 4. Meaning, each sprite gets their own pointer, data, and frame data.

karatekid552

Years

Adding over worlds is extremely complicated. I still haven't gotten it to work perfectly. However, I do know that when you added to the table, that there is more data after that. You needed to have the last pointer point to the data you created in step 4. This data controls the height and width and all other properties. Then you have to point it to the location of the frames. So, return to steps 3 and 4 and look at it more closely.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
@Quickster and @karatekid522
Thanks alot, I think I get it now! :P You guys are both awesome, It's amazing to have people like you in TPC, it's what makes this website the bomb! Espically you karatekid522, you answer every question I have, thanks alot!

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
I have a question, in my ROM 0x1A2000 is not like yours, it doesnt have all those 00000, not even the B0 FD 39 08 B0 FF 39 08 B0 FE 39 08 code is there anywhere, why does that happen?

karatekid552

Years
I have a question, in my ROM 0x1A2000 is not like yours, it doesnt have all those 00000, not even the B0 FD 39 08 B0 FF 39 08 B0 FE 39 08 code is there anywhere, why does that happen?

If you applied JPAN's engine in patch form, like you were supposed to, then this is guaranteed not to be the case.

If you do not want to use JAPN's engine, or you are on RSE, you can try Darthatron's and my tutorial here. This is not as effective as JPAN's engine, as it only allows you to max out the OWs at 256 instead of ~65,000 but it is another option.

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
Thanks, problem solved ^-^. I'll give it a look on the tutorials, im also interested on adding OWs in emerald

Back