• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X and Y Symbolism?

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Could it be that the X stands for the X chromosome and Y for the Y chromosome? Yveltal does seem to be built on the premise of attracting the male audience more than the female (The Y chromosome is only found in Males; X/Y) while Xerneas attracting more of the female audience (the pairing of (X/X) chromosomes is only found in females).

That being said, I prefer Xerneas over Yvetal and I am a male.

Perhaps is there some sort of symbolism with the X and Y beyond just the sex of the creature??

What do you guys think -?

Years
I've actually mused on it being a chromosome thing as well. It would be interesting if the mascots are given genders that serve some sort of purpose.

It's also possible they could be code names or project names for a plot device (then again I've been watching X Files, which could be adversely affecting me).

I think it's very likely that we would get Z as the third installment. And I'm not sure what that could stand for. They could also pull a B2/W2 and create X and Y squared, haha!

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
Years
Or X and Y as in dimensions with Z being the third dimension (length, width, depth). thes games are the first main series Pokemon game to be on the 3DS. so XYZ would make sense that way.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 5, 2018
There's also the fact that the Japanese logos have the DNA helix symbol in them, yes, it's considered likely that the games have chromosomes and DNA as their motif, it's also probably why Mewtwo's new forme is a bit feminine looking and why Mewtwo also has a noticeably feminine voice in the movie rather than a deep masculine voice like before

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
One possible reason is that X and Y were really all they could use. Given that Red, Blue, Ruby, and Sapphire are all taken. However I do like the the dimension theory, except for th the Z part. I don't want a Pokemon Z, I want Pokemon X2 and Y2. I feel that sequels do much betting in expanding the originals.

Years
when you look at the double helix's that are in the Japanese logos, I think its going to be a more genetics based theme rather than dimensions. especially when you consider that x,y, and z planes are just axis for the 1D, 2D and 3D planes.
plus (as spotted by munchingorange in one of his youtube videos) mewtwo's new form seems to make the symbol in one of his attacks. and we all know that mewtwo is a clone of mew, hence more genetics.

and if they make a remake, it wont be called Z, because 1) that's stupid, 2) doesn't fit with their genetics theme, and 3) its very unlikely in my opinion that they'll make a remake, what with more pressure on video games to perform these days, especially from Nintendo what with wii u not doing so well. they wont risk just a remake of a game released the previous year (these days its one pkmn game a year, pretty much). so I reckon either a sequel or a remake of hoenn

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I definitely don't think it's going to have anything to do with dimensions. DPPt pretty much handled dimensions already with time and space/Dialga and Palkia, so going back and repeating that them seems odd to me. We were speculating awhile ago that the evil team was going to be genetics based with their plans, especially after seeing the helices in the Japanese logos), but now that we have Team Flare which doesn't really seem to have much to do with genetics at all, I'm not sure we're really going to have it as that large of a theme. Definitely some allusions to it here and there, but as a full-fledged theme I'm not sure. Maybe when we actually have the games and see everything it totally could be, but as of now it doesn't look very likely.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I do think that the chromosome theme is minor, but not... all of it just part.

I think the real theme is "Life" itself or the Cycle of Life. X is life while Y is Death or Destruction, sorry I still do not know how to spell their names right.

I am thinking the "Z" pokemon will be Growth. And that the Trio would be something that would go with the Cycle of Life.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I think it would be pretty cool if both of them had a gender and by breeding them in a specific way you could obtain a special legendary.
Similarly to shadow Pokémon in XD, where you have to purify Lugia in a very specific way if you want to purify it, you'd have to breed them in a very specific way to get the special legendary.

Years
It seems like genetics is the most plausible; I had not noticed the double-helix before. If that is the case(and ESPECIALLY if it is the case with Mewtwo in a side-event) I'd love to see a little nod to the Cinnabar experiments. If not, then at least a cameo by Colress; it seems right up his alley.

Elixir.

Fly Away
Years
I'm gonna agree with the genetics theory. It sounds more plausible than other ideas, in my opinion. And I also agree with DarkfoolDave in that it would be nice to mention the Cinnabar experiments, considering their genetic work with Mew.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Since Xerneas and Yvetal are based on life and death, I think the symbolism can be found in that. Their might be some odd parallels within the chromosome theory that I can't think of right now, but the obvious route is with the "life and death/destruction" theme.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
The DNA in the logos is the only reason why I find the XY chromosome theory to be plausible. Otherwise, X-Y-Z to describe the 3D planes is the more likely motif.

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2013
X and Y being related to chromosomes seems the most likely. That being said someone mention that it could have to do with axis and the last game could be Z, symbolizing the 3d part of pokemon on the 3ds.

Back