• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gym Leader Rematches

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So gym leader rematches. While the gym thread covers typings and actual gyms, this one is aimed more at the rematches side and how that could go ahead. We haven't seen them for a while, however, there's a chance that they might put gym leader rematches in these games "just cause"! If they returned, how would you like to see them occur? Would you want them to be once a week? Or whenever the gym leaders choose? Do you check back or would it be the job of the professor to let you know when you can go for gym leader rematches? How much more money do you want from rematches? Would you want full teams of six, or just the same team they used in-game? Discuss!

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
Oh, this is something I'd like to see again! However, unlike in Emerald where you had to wait until the little Poke Ball next to their Match Call showed up; or in HGSS where you first had to find them outside their gyms, get their numbers, and could only call on certain days to schedule battles; or in BW2 where you could only battle most of them via the PWT and didn't get any EXP. or money (unless you count getting BP for beating three of them), I'd like maybe something like Platinum had, where you had different gym leaders you could battle each day, no calls or anything necessary. I was thinking of being able to battle them once a day, but Idk, that seems a bit too much, and, somewhat realistically speaking, it's not like they have that kind of time on their hands XD

As for teams, a full team of six with Fully Evolved Pokemon would be great! And maybe to spice things up a little, they could have decent hold items (i.e. not just Sitrus Berries) and maybe somewhat competitive-based movesets and Abilities and the like. As for money, I'd say roughly double what you got from the last gym leader (quadrupled if you sent out a Pokemon holding an Amulet Coin/Luck Incense during battle).

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Mmm, yeah I'd sure love to have gym leader rematches again~! First I'd like to have them have a full team of six, where you'd fight for pokemon EXP and for increased prize money. Their team of six can have some national pokemon, as well as Gen 6 pokemon! I'd also like to have something like the PWT too, where you can fight gym leader's EV'd pokemon; and maybe fight past gen gym leaders too.

blue

gucci
Years
I wish it was just simple as to enter a Gym once you have defeated the Elite Four, walk up to the Gym Leader and re battle them as many times as you wish. Waiting for specific days or for them to call was always a pain too.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I hope they reintroduce them, even something like Emerald's thing, where you can check what trainers want a rematch, maybe make the trainers up to Lv.70 if you rematch them enough so you can actually have a battle that isn't like
Raichu use Thunder!
Tentacruel fainted! xD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Platinum's rematch system was pretty awesome. You had different leaders you could rebattle every day (I think it was everyday?) and didn't have to wait on certain times or get their number or whatever. If they could do this again, or improve on it someway, that'd be fantastic. Platinum is the only game so far that really got the gym rematches down right, though.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Rematching Gym Leaders... has been something that has been in the games since the days of Pokémon Platinum. I think it would be great to see rematches of the Gym Leaders that you've already defeated. And it should be whenever the Gym Leader wants to, like it was in previous games.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Gym leader rematches would be swell, and would be nice if it could be done so in the gyms instead of having to go to a certain building.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, I feel like it's more of an authentic gym rematch if you have to go to their gym than instead of a cafe like in Platinum. That felt more like a friendly battle than a gym rematch.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
If gym leader rematches exist I am going to assume it is post-game material and I will have become champion of the something region. That being said I should expect the gym leaders and other renowned trainers to be waiting at my totally awesome villa or whatever we get in this game everyday to have a chance to battle with me.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I wouldn't mind being able to challenge the Gym Leaders for a rematch. Although if it were to be implemented, I hope we won't have to first find the actual Gym Leader in person, and then call them to book a battle at a certain time. (Because well, that's was a pain in the posterior.)

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
YESSSS. I want this so badly. Well, not that badly, but I always thought Gym Leader rematches were cool. It was better than to just have them sit in their Gym for the rest of post-game, unless you rematch them in their Gym.
But I want the rematches to change from HG and SS, as if you wanted to rematch every Gym Leader, you needed to get their phone number at a certain time, then call them at another time.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I would like it to go back to the way it was in Emerald. Have a pokeball next to the gym leader's name if they feel like battling you, or have them call you themselves. Than you'll fly to their gyms and battle them, maybe even in a triple battle battle as Emerald had a double battle for it's rematches.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I really want Gym Leader rematches that give you experience! It was cool in the PWT but I really want battles that aren't using VGC rules...I don't mind having to go to a different building as long as I can battle everyone at least once a day and be able to use whichever Pokémon I wanted!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'd actually like the whole Match Call concept back again. Battling them in their gyms feels… right. The PWT was an okay way of doing it but ultimately you didn't really get much training out of it.

Of course they've been resistant on putting any rematch features in the first games of the series. Funny that.

I would like this as well. But I would like them to become progressively stronger like in Emerald. Maybe on different days of the week, it'll change if it was a single, double, triple or rotation battle.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Rematching Gym Leaders again? sure why not. I loved rebattling the other gyms in past games. i would also like them to use a full team of 6 and have double or triple battles sometimes. also, having them at a higher level would be sweet.

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2013
If you can go beat up on the E4 millions of times, I don't see why they won't let us take on the gym leaders again, just for something different, it gets boring doing the same 5 battles over and over again/

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I wouldn't mind being able to challenge the Gym Leaders for a rematch. Although if it were to be implemented, I hope we won't have to first find the actual Gym Leader in person, and then call them to book a battle at a certain time. (Because well, that's was a pain in the posterior.)

Hunting them out wouldn't really be that bad if they were in obvious places, like wherever they mentioned when you last faced them (aka in their actual GYMs) maybe? :x

Back