• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Sprites.

HannahHacker

Elegant Elitist.
Years
Since the more advanced technology has come out, I've always wanted to have the option of making your own character sprite on the pokemon games, just for that even more slightly personal appeal! Even if it's just a simple matter of changing the hair style and colour, if clothing would be too much hassle to tamper with.
Sorry if a thread has already been started discussing this.
x

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I can only see Game Freak letting us do that in a pokemon MMORPG...which we probably won't get for like another 50 years. :D

HannahHacker

Elegant Elitist.
Years
:)

Thanks for your reply,
I was planning on living until at least seventy and still going strong playing pokemon then anyway!
x

Years
I think that would be a great idea...I always feel funny finding that I never saw a brown person, until the battle frontier brain from D/P/Pt named Dahlia. I think she was supposed to be Brazilian? Cuz her pants are very tight like Brazilian jeans. I bet a lot of people would like to make their sprites look more like them. But that would probably cost too much data that they might want to spend on other features.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
Years
Yeah, I really like this idea, I just don't think it will happen.
If it did the choices would have to be very limited.
For every small change to the character, they'd have to make new walking/running/biking/surfing/fishing/etc. overworld sprites.
For male anddd female.

It really would be cool though.
It'd add a little variety to peoples characters.

Years
I think that would be a great idea...I always feel funny finding that I never saw a brown person, until the battle frontier brain from D/P/Pt named Dahlia. I think she was supposed to be Brazilian? Cuz her pants are very tight like Brazilian jeans. I bet a lot of people would like to make their sprites look more like them. But that would probably cost too much data that they might want to spend on other features.
There's also this guy.
150px-Barlow.png

As cool as character customization sounds, I don't think we'll get it this gen, unless it's something really minor. If they come out with a Stadium type thing for this gen that will probably have customization like PBR.

Years
Who is that guy?! He looks German because of his clothes. They look like liederhosen for some reason. Or a weird Final Fantasy outfit like Tidus...anyway I wish sprites could be adjusted! But it's probably way too late. :/

Years
Who is that guy?! He looks German because of his clothes. They look like liederhosen for some reason. Or a weird Final Fantasy outfit like Tidus...anyway I wish sprites could be adjusted! But it's probably way too late. :/
That's Barlow, a NPC from the spin-off Pokemon Ranger 2. In other words, he's not relevant to anything.

If we do get customization I think it will be really simple like changing the color of your hat. I just hate seeing everyone on wi-fi looking the same in battle. :(

Last edited:

HannahHacker

Elegant Elitist.
Years
I just thought it would be a great idea, even on lower-quality sprite sites like Habbohotel you have a certain creativity when it comes to adjusting your sprite. I'm not asking for us to be able to pick the nose, ears and shoe size of our sprites, just simple things like hair colour or perhaps a second set of clothing to choose from!
I'm sure it's a coincidence that Dahlia and Barlow are the only sprites of other skin tone in the games, but things like this could be adjusted so easily!
x

Roxas358

Nobody's Problem
Years
Hm. Weird. I was just thinking about this same thing a couple of days ago.
I doubt it will be possible for a long time, but it would be awesome.

Years
I just don't understand why it would not be possible for a long time. The handheld series is pretty much the main one and most Pokemon fans only play them; I think they're just scared of making weird racial situations. I don't think there would be any though. It would make the games a bit more personal than just getting the choice of a different sex...although that change was a great milestone.

Years
Hmmm.
:[ Wishful thinking, but now that the pokemon battle sprites seem to be animated because they are moving 'parts', I wonder if they would start seeing trainers as 'parts' so, as you have the have the hair as a separate part you would have the base of the head. So it's easier to put different hair on!

But...that's really not much of a correlation.
xD I just do also wish we could have some customization. I mean, there are lesser games that have more customization than pokemon does.

HannahHacker

Elegant Elitist.
Years
I just don't understand why it would not be possible for a long time. The handheld series is pretty much the main one and most Pokemon fans only play them; I think they're just scared of making weird racial situations. I don't think there would be any though. It would make the games a bit more personal than just getting the choice of a different sex...although that change was a great milestone.

Oh I remember the times when we all seethed our way through blue, red, yellow and beyond with our male sprites. It was a great change!!
I've just been playing Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia again and the depth of detail the sprites have is great, why can't we have that amount on other pokemon games that have come out afterwards? I'd have to compare the two closely, but I actually think the pokemon sprites in Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia are better than the ones in the recent Heartgold Soulsilver, sorry if anyone disagrees, just my opinion.
x

Hmmm.
:[ Wishful thinking, but now that the pokemon battle sprites seem to be animated because they are moving 'parts', I wonder if they would start seeing trainers as 'parts' so, as you have the have the hair as a separate part you would have the base of the head. So it's easier to put different hair on!

But...that's really not much of a correlation.
xD I just do also wish we could have some customization. I mean, there are lesser games that have more customization than pokemon does.

Sometimes, I wish that the makers of pokemon games would come onto these discussion boards and see what we users think and put it into effect for future games, or at least give them some thought!
A quick 'drag and drop' dress up the doll sequence at the start of the game, between the legendary 'Are you a girl?' and 'What's your name, again?' questions would soothe so much angst. If we can dress up nintendogs why can't we have a few easily clicked and dragged items of hair and clothing for our pokemon sprites? Just a few personal effects?

I completely agree with the 'lesser games that have more customization that pokemon' statement, any games you could list just to further back up that point?
x

Last edited:

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
Yeah character custimization, would be great, but theres already official artwork so that probably not happen, sadly :( and about the dark skinned people thing, i guess they would think people would think it was racist if they included them NOW, they should probably have done it from the first game.

HannahHacker

Elegant Elitist.
Years
?

Yeah character custimization, would be great, but theres already official artwork so that probably not happen, sadly :( and about the dark skinned people thing, i guess they would think people would think it was racist if they included them NOW, they should probably have done it from the first game.

Yeah, but how would they have made that possible from the first games, if by that you mean colour-free games such as red and blue? Would the character's faces have to be a light shade of gray? Come to think of it, the Hikers seemed to have that.
x

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
When the silhouettes for Pokemon B/W protagonists came out, I got excited. I imagined that the game would let us fill in our character's looks, opposed to having a set character already. And then the filled in and colored picture for the characters came out. xD

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
Yeah, but how would they have made that possible from the first games, if by that you mean colour-free games such as red and blue? Would the character's faces have to be a light shade of gray? Come to think of it, the Hikers seemed to have that.
x
Oh... yeah! i didnt think about the black and white thing in the older games, and the hikers probably just have a sun tan!

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
Although I'd love customisation, I doubt they'll include it in BW. It'll more likely be in the next console RPG (at least if Game Freak finally suck it up and make one...), just like PBR had. It's much easier to change 3d object's "clothes" because it simply involves changing the texture, not creating hundreds of variants of the same sprite.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
Years
  • Age 34
  • Fl
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I would love it if they created a Pokemon game where we could modify our character. If not modifiable characters, they should at least let us choose from the different playable characters from each generation, or just create a variety of different appearances to choose from.

Hibaru

Advanced Pokemon Trainer
Years
I would love it if they created a Pokemon game where we could modify our character. If not modifiable characters, they should at least let us choose from the different playable characters from each generation, or just create a variety of different appearances to choose from.

I would really like that and think like that before the 5th Gen announce. When I'm on the other Forum, the admin give me an Infraction and seems to hate me though. I actually think if only they create 2 New 5th gen games which each games has Multiple Main Characters. So when I don't like that Character, I'll just use the other one.

Back