• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

More than 6 Pokemon?

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I always liked how in the anima, Ash always caught more than 6 pokemon, and would train and battle them all, so lately, at least in Gen5, I've been raising teams of 8 or 9, switching them off every couple towns, as Ash would do. With the new XP system, and lucky eggs that I've collected in the past (6 of them lol) I find this isnt too hard, and very enjoyable.

Anybody else every done this? Or thought of doing this? What's your opinion?

Sirfetch’d

I do. Depending on what training I am doing I usually have about 10-15 main battlers that I switch in and out of my party. I have some for the Pokemon League(usually only takes one Pokemon for me.) Some for the PWT depending on which tournament. SOme for the battle subway. I usually try to have a Pokemon on level 100 for each type or at least most of the types(I usually avoid steel and rock types).

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I really wish I had done this, but personally I am not the best trainer xD I have a difficult time getting a team of 6 Pokemon all up to level, so I usually force myself to be limited to a team of only 5 or so!

blue

gucci
Years
There are times when I wish I could have more than six Pokemon in my party but thinking about it, six is just the right amount to control.

#isthenumbersign
Years
During the main game I haven't done this. I'd get annoyed switching Pokemon in and out at every town. Not to mention they'd all be underleveled. I have wanted to have more than 6 Pokemon, but I wouldn't have the patience. :P

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
I think that it would just make battles wayyyy too long. The main story would take forever with 2 extra pokemon to defeat per fight. Maybe as a link/wifi battle of some sort.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm fine with having just 6 Pokemon to train, it's just the right amount. I sometimes rotate between one Pokemon and another though.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
6 Pokemon is just right for me. While having more seems like a good idea, it might make battles more about switching to try to win battles.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I usually just replace the 'weaklings' in my party as I go along, but a lot of the Pokemon I capture early in the game make my final team (more so in the Gen 5 GAMES).

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I've never done this, and to be fair, I'm horrible at balancing my team even when I have 6 Pokemon, and I'm not the person that's much for grinding, so I have a feeling I'd never make it through with a team of over 6 Pokemon anyways, and I'd probably give up on some of them at one point. Although it's actually a really great idea, and I just wish it worked more like the anime when it came to this.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I never have done this. I usually just stick with 6, perfect amount imo.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I've always stuck with six. Urr but maybe once I rotated one pokemon with another, idk. But yea six is a comfortable number of pokemon.

Back